Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Dangerous Bull

• 07-06-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Shound I put a ring and chain on the bull ? or
    Should I put him in the factory and be safe?
    Have a charolais bull that is 4 years old , during the winter he was in on slats and I had him in with cows and I noticed him turning a little bit wicked every time I went up . He would started to roar and stare at me and I though when I let him out in the spring with the cows he would cool down.
    The other day I had my brother with me and we went to move the cows and bull from 1 field to another and he went about chasing my brother, he got him down on the ground and also throw him ten foot in the air but luckily he got away fully entact with just a few bruises. Yesterday I went and stood at the gate of the field where he was , he ran from the cows down to the gate roaring at me and pawing the ground . :eek:
    He does have good calves after him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

FACTORY.... SO HE CHASED YOUR BROTHER AND YOU STILL WANT TO KEEP HIM:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

do you really need someone on here to tell you to take him to the factory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Id give him the chop anyway, you wont be too worried about the calves if you or one of your relations is in a coffin because of him. Your brother was very lucky but you might not be as lucky the next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Ask your brother?

What a pointless question, get rid of him ffs!

I was lucky to escape an attack a few years ago with 2 broken ribs and bruises, not worth it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's burger time, no choice, make sure he's not on his own until you have him loaded. In fact be very careful loading him. You have been lucky so far.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

do you have a mother-inlaw :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

You factory him before you or someone close to you become another farm statistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Kill or be killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Factory! If you don't you are only asking for trouble.

Finno59 wrote: »
    do you have a mother-inlaw :rolleyes:
    LOL:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

I knew the answer to this question before I put it up . We were very lucky to escape . I think when you are working with cattle for so long you let your guard down .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

wallycool wrote: »
    ....he went about chasing my brother, he got him down on the ground and also throw him ten foot in the air but luckily he got away fully entact with just a few bruises....

C'mon, do you have to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I know its a pain in the ass to get rid of a bull this time of the year but a bull that tries to attack should defo be sent to the factory
    On a side note I have a bull with heifers a year and a half old and he is showing signs of aggression pawing ground etc.
    I am going to try and put a ring and long chain on him as I have been told that
    it can quiten them down if chain is going back under their legs they have to watch their step and cant run or charge without stepping on it.
    I dont have to go into field to check heifers and he will get the road once they are bulled.
    He is young and never charged me but is showing signs he will be a cross bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Factory. NOW.

My father said to me once, if you find yourself asking should i send a bull to the factory then it is about a month too late to have him sent.

As a previous poster has said, dont become a statistic:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

djmc wrote: »
    I know its a pain in the ass to get rid of a bull this time of the year but a bull that tries to attack should defo be sent to the factory
    On a side note I have a bull with heifers a year and a half old and he is showing signs of aggression pawing ground etc.
    I am going to try and put a ring and long chain on him as I have been told that
    it can quiten them down if chain is going back under their legs they have to watch their step and cant run or charge without stepping on it.
    I dont have to go into field to check heifers and he will get the road once they are bulled.
    He is young and never charged me but is showing signs he will be a cross bull.

That's madness on 3 accounts:

1. You're running a bull with heifers and have no ring in him??????? You have nothing to control him with if he does get wicked.
    2. By ringing him now, he could possible get more wicked. he'll always remember it, so keep well away from him while its being done so that he doesn't think that it was you who did it to him.
    3. If you put a long chain in a bull and he continues to step on it, it will make him more and more wicked. he'll get cute, he'll learn not to walk on it and he'll be ready to nail you some day when you least expect it - probably the day that you're trying to untangle his long chain from the bushes or the barbed wire (which will be at least once a week). He'll give you a puck to remember!!!

Ringing, handling and quietening of a bull should be done at a young age. When the bull goes over 12 months, many would consider it too late.

To be honest, most bulls are pawing the ground these days. Its prime mateing season for them!!!

Ring alone is a waste from my experience, when I was attacked, I caught it but he just flung be up in the air, almost ripping my shoulder off, exposing me more to trampling. I'm not a twig either at almost 16stone. What saved me that day was the field was wet so he just pushed me along, about 40 yards to a fence where I was able to escape, with him running up and down to wire roaring, looking for a way over it. Scary stuff!

As far as I'm concerned the OP is trolling!

Christ, you were lucky!

When they do turn aggressive is it a gradual thing, where you can see the signs or can they suddenly turn aggressive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

One shot, bang bang. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Ring alone is a waste from my experience, when I was attacked, I caught it but he just flung be up in the air, almost ripping my shoulder off, exposing me more to trampling. I'm not a twig either at almost 16stone. What saved me that day was the field was wet so he just pushed me along, about 40 yards to a fence where I was able to escape, with him running up and down to wire roaring, looking for a way over it. Scary stuff!

yep, people put alot of value on the ring..for me though if a bull is wicked the ring wont make a damn bit of difference, if he can get you he will, you had a mighty lucky escape by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

yep, people put alot of value on the ring..for me though if a bull is wicked the ring wont make a damn bit of difference, if he can get you he will, you had a mighty lucky escape by the sounds of it.
    have to agree with this,a ring will not stop him from attacking you,as far as i am concerned a ring in a bulls nose is only any good to people who handle the bull every day like ai companies,i know i would not handle any bull with a ring that has not been walked for years by the nose,he either goes ahead of me with a stick or up a trailor ahead of me with a prodder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I was wondering that too. A week or two ago he had mad heifers.

wally by name wally by nature:D

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

that used to be 2 shots!
    I thought the idea of a chain was to prevent him charging,he will stand on it when he charges but not when he walks

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

whelan1 wrote: »
    wally by name wally by nature:D
    ... noticed the wally thing too
    I wonder did he ask his brothers opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Jamesleacy501

Tie a rope around his ***** and tie the end to a breeze block.. That will make him slow down.. I would send him to tha factory if i was you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Definitely Factory before someone has to do it when you're a gonner..

We always had a ring and long chain, they can walk but not run but as a previous poster said the biggest danger then is if it gets caught... worse if it gets to the electric fence, that was the last straw for our last bull he never calmed down I was beside him when he got the shock and he was real bad after that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Jamesleacy501

Worst thing you can do is put a chain on any bull.. Especially putting a chain on an already cross bull..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

ur mad. I'd have in the factory straight away, regargless of price or quality of calves.
    bulls need to be handled from a young age. the auld lad brought a Simmental 10-15 years ago, at 9 months. he was halter trained etc. we used to take him out for a walk up the lane and around a field .every day during the winter. infact we used to walk him on a lead ( light steel bar on ring) between home farm and land take on the road- country road. we used to get some looks by passing cars.:D. he was one in a life time

seen the other side of it too. neighbours bull would follow you up and down the boundary ditch, pawing the ground, pucking the ditch, roaring at you reported him to neighbour, who put a lone fairly heavy chain on him. after a while he got used to it, and would throw the chain up over his head onto his back, and run as fast as before. :confused: was glad to see his arse going up the lorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

All bulls should have at least a ring they only need your number once to ring you back:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Shound I put a ring and chain on the bull ? or
    Should I put him in the factory and be safe?
    . :eek:
    He does have good calves after him.

you post a question on a very Dangerous Bull and your gut feeling is you don't feel safe, FFS what has good calves got to do with it, as djmc it's a pain changing a bull in the middle of season but if you can't check your stock there is no alternative to killing him, putting a long chain on a bull often makes them worse and it dosn't stop all of them from charging as i have seen bulls either run with their head to oneside or even flip the chain across their back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

thats 2 bangs:D:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Hes standing in the factory pen so that's the last of him hopefully :D

Anyone remember that Irish guy recently that invented a device that gave the bull a shock if he came near you. Seemed like a good idea. The farmer would wear a transmitter that would send it off. Similar to those used on dogs to keep them within a boundry.
    I tried googling it but couldn't find it.

Hes standing in the factory pen so that's the last of him hopefully :D

What changed your mind?:D

You did the right thing, next bull you get, make sure he is used to being handled and lead. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

pakalasa wrote: »
    Anyone remember that Irish guy recently that invented a device that gave the bull a shock if he came near you. Seemed like a good idea. The farmer would wear a transmitter that would send it off. Similar to those used on dogs to keep them within a boundry.

i could only find the newspaper article, not much in it just the description, no word of when it'l be on the market.
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/farmer-collars-top-prize-for-bull-safety-138275.html

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »

:rolleyes: no never heard anything, no sure I'd trust it with a raging 800kg+ bull ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Cannot stop picturing a load of bulls working on a line in a factory :D

I'll go now

Cannot stop picturing a load of bulls working on a line in a factory :D

I'll go now

Might be easier to picture a Big Mac;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Is it possible to have a very quite dairy bull for years
    I had some very quite beef bulls but all the dairy bulls I had got a bit wicked after two years
    I was never attacked but got a few frights alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Charlois bull at up turned on the brother a few years ago, Brother was getting him out of a shed to turn him out for the summer.
    He turned and knocked him down in the shed and started crushing him on the ground. There was a good depth of dung in the shed after the winter so wasnt directly on concrete
    My neighbour who was helping heard my brother shout ran into the shed and the bull turned to him allowing the brother to escape.

I loaded him (the bull that is) next morning for the factory no problem, but if he caught sight of my brother or heard his voice the head would go down and he he would start bawling.

• Advertisement

djmc wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a very quite dairy bull for years
    I had some very quite beef bulls but all the dairy bulls I had got a bit wicked after two years
    I was never attacked but got a few frights alright

kept a few Vasectomised bulls every year and the friesan were the worst, Angus were the quietest .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

we see it in the stud in work that the Holsteins are often the ones that would do ya. though there is a batch of angus's at the moment that are lethal. The lads cant get near one of them to jump him and hes only a young bull

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

never liked the idea of a chain...will only lead to the bull getting frustrated and angry in my opinion...if he warrants a chain, he should hardly be around at all...can be very dangerous if he gets caught in the mains aswell...
    also the idea of people never ringing their own bull seems a bit rich to me...we ring all our breeding bulls every year and theyve never taken a hate to us..also did our stock bull when he came first and he's been grand aswell...
    bulls are going to paw the ground and roar a bit aswell, especially at breeding season...i wouldn't be worried about a bull just cos he was doing this...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sometimes I wonder why the sky is blue.

Now thats random.......????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Sometimes I wonder why the sky is blue.
    Down to how the molecules in the atmosphere scatters the light from the sun
    Blue light is scattered more than any other colour so the sky appears blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

What about this? I had a 3 year-old vasectomised bull running with the cows earlier this year. He was a big mudder, but never any trouble. But then he started rounding the cows up. He'd try to stop them leaving the paddock for milking, which was a pain. Then one day, I looked across the fields and all the cows were standing in one corner of the paddock they were in. The bull had herded them into a corner and kept them there till milking. I sent him to the factory that week, although he'd never been cross before then. Is that one of the early signs of turning wicked? I'd have kept him if I could have trained him to herd them into the parlour :D.

theroad wrote: »
    What about this? I had a 3 year-old vasectomised bull running with the cows earlier this year. He was a big mudder, but never any trouble. But then he started rounding the cows up. He'd try to stop them leaving the paddock for milking, which was a pain. Then one day, I looked across the fields and all the cows were standing in one corner of the paddock they were in. The bull had herded them into a corner and kept them there till milking. I sent him to the factory that week, although he'd never been cross before then. Is that one of the early signs of turning wicked? I'd have kept him if I could have trained him to herd them into the parlour :D.

i don't know because once that starts he's never around to find out, it's very annoying when that starts and the fear is when he's protecting the herd he may take exception to you going in to move them.

What if you shackled his hind legs with a soft rope and padding on it , would he still be able to work on the cattle without been able to pick up seed to kill someone ?

What if you shackled his hind legs with a soft rope and padding on it , would he still be able to work on the cattle without kill been able to pick up seed to kill someone ?
    would you still be able to work with your legs shackled together ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

whelan1 wrote: »
    would you still be able to work with your legs shackled together ffs
    i would have a go :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement