Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Dangerous Bull

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

some lads pay good money for that kind of craic! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

leg wax wrote: »
    i would have a go :D

lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    would you still be able to work with your legs shackled together ffs

I would, or die trying.
    Don't knock it if you never tried it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Factory job, and if you fail in that, shoot the f*cker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

theroad wrote: »
    What about this? I had a 3 year-old vasectomised bull running with the cows earlier this year. He was a big mudder, but never any trouble. But then he started rounding the cows up. He'd try to stop them leaving the paddock for milking, which was a pain. Then one day, I looked across the fields and all the cows were standing in one corner of the paddock they were in. The bull had herded them into a corner and kept them there till milking. I sent him to the factory that week, although he'd never been cross before then. Is that one of the early signs of turning wicked? I'd have kept him if I could have trained him to herd them into the parlour :D.

Happennin us now with a bullock took us 3 tries to get sucklers out he just wouldn't let them trough the gap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

yesterday i went into see the heifers and the old bull was acting up a bit, not cross or pawing the ground just different which means he will go soon.then a neighbour rang today and said his bull is acting quare as well.is it just coincidence or has anybody noticed anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

Always heard August was the most Dangerous Month with Bulls, not sure why but maybe their Calender is a lil off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pakalasa wrote: »
    Anyone remember that Irish guy recently that invented a device that gave the bull a shock if he came near you. Seemed like a good idea. The farmer would wear a transmitter that would send it off. Similar to those used on dogs to keep them within a boundry.
    I tried googling it but couldn't find it.

Reckon I'd prefer a large calibre rifle, what if the battery on yer bull had run out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

keep going wrote: »
    yesterday i went into see the heifers and the old bull was acting up a bit, not cross or pawing the ground just different which means he will go soon.then a neighbour rang today and said his bull is acting quare as well.is it just coincidence or has anybody noticed anything else

Ya noticed the mrs was a bit tetchy last night, this mornin was even worse. Just happened to mention it to a neighbour, straight away he had the answer

:pac::pac:
    HORMONES

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 up outa dat

We have a march born bull calf, holstein, looking at keeping him as a breeding bull, either for sale next year or possibly to help clean up after our own herd and sell the following year, depending on how he goes. Any tips on rearing a stock bull? Should I handle him a bit more or just leave him be? Would having him isolated effect his temperment?

Does anyone know why bulls round up cows int the corner of the field ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

When a bull gets frisky be thankfull he has his work done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Yeah you know a bull has done his job when he breaks through a double row of electric fencing to get his hole. Well that is what my bull ended up doing.
    Op.Of course a bull is going to act up when you are moving him away from heifers or cows. He thinks you are taking the cows away from him. Never stand in a field with a bull and cows in heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

wallycool wrote: »
    Shound I put a ring and chain on the bull ? or
    Should I put him in the factory and be safe?
    Have a charolais bull that is 4 years old , during the winter he was in on slats and I had him in with cows and I noticed him turning a little bit wicked every time I went up . He would started to roar and stare at me and I though when I let him out in the spring with the cows he would cool down.
    The other day I had my brother with me and we went to move the cows and bull from 1 field to another and he went about chasing my brother, he got him down on the ground and also throw him ten foot in the air but luckily he got away fully entact with just a few bruises. Yesterday I went and stood at the gate of the field where he was , he ran from the cows down to the gate roaring at me and pawing the ground . :eek:
    He does have good calves after him.

one bullet...bang bang!!!
    aint worth it what you get for him in the factory will go on towards another one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

flatout11 wrote: »
    aint worth it what you get for him in the factory will go on towards another one

Err- surely thats the whole point?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Err- surely thats the whole point?

What's the whole point?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bizzum wrote: »
    What's the whole point?

That the proceeds will doubtless go towards buying a replacement bull?

We have a march born bull calf, holstein, looking at keeping him as a breeding bull, either for sale next year or possibly to help clean up after our own herd and sell the following year, depending on how he goes. Any tips on rearing a stock bull? Should I handle him a bit more or just leave him be? Would having him isolated effect his temperment?

Have a read of this;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056007344

Don't make a pet of him. Just leave him alone and dont treat him any different than the others.
    Was he bucket or reared under a cow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Speaking with my shooting hat on for a minute, there's something very wrong with your gun :eek: :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Up against the wall in the middle of the field is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 up outa dat

Have a read of this;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056007344

Don't make a pet of him. Just leave him alone and dont treat him any different than the others.
    Was he bucket or reared under a cow?

thanks for that, he was bucket reared with a group of heifer calves. From a quiet cow, then most dairy cows are so i won't read too much into that. Dovea were interested in buying him pendin a hair sample, but his genomic ebi, 156, came back too low for them. He's with the late calves but i don't want to chance leaving him there too long so I'll prob put him with the in-calf heifers later on. the only other male on farm is a hereford stock bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

A bull will round up cows to make sure no other bull will get to do his job

We had bull alwalys in front and would not let cows back to yard where;) other bull was even if you kept last out of paddock he would get in front and stop all cows going to yard
    Jelousey:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

....yep...... you wud be suprised how many fellas hold on to them!!!

I was wondering what you were driving at!

We killed our stock bull during the week, he had back trouble. He came into 655kgs carc wgt.
    Better still we have a lovely 8mth old bull coming after him that will work away next spring for us.

I was wondering what you were driving at!

We killed our stock bull during the week, he had back trouble. He came into 655kgs carc wgt.
    Better still we have a lovely 8mth old bull coming after him that will work away next spring for us.
    Mind me asking - what price did ye get, €/Kg.
    I have a bull to sell myself at the moment. That's why I'm asking.

Mind me asking - what price did ye get, €/Kg.
    I have a bull to sell myself at the moment. That's why I'm asking.

A pound a pound.
    Roscrea.

A pound a pound.
    Roscrea.
    So that's 2.80 Euro/Kg, right?

milkprofit wrote: »
    A bull will round up cows to make sure no other bull will get to do his job

We had bull alwalys in front and would not let cows back to yard where;) other bull was even if you kept last out of paddock he would get in front and stop all cows going to yard
    Jelousey:)

This was with a bullock the next bull was a half a mile away in the other direction and would not let them pass the gap but our bull just rounds them up into a corner of the field randomly keeps them there and he grazes away and round up any that break away from the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

wallycool wrote: »
    He does have good calves after him.

not much point having good calves if your dead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

for some reason if my dad is helping me milk he always tries to seperate the bull from the bulling cow so he doesnt come in behind her in the parlour , drives me and the bull mental... just leave them alone... rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Have had two instances so far this this spring of friesian bull attacks in our area. Both of them a hairs breadth of ending in fatalities and of course un reported or un documented. In both cases the farmer was highly experienced and dealing with bulls all their lives. I would say every farm with a fresian bull has had a close one down through the years.

Advertisement