Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Prices-People deluded.

Options
  • 07-06-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I was talking to a neighbour who believes that his house has not gone down in value in the last year,i told him otherwise. He's not an idiot but seems deluded in relation to the valuation of his property. A couple of other people are saying the same. Do these people not read newspapers, the news or are they simply deluded? Anyone else find this annoying?I assume there are other people living in denial.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

You could show him the price index drops however I'm sure he'll say something like but this area is different ect.

If there are any houses for sale in the area of same stature you could look up collapso.net to see if there are any price drops over the last year.

Maybe he isn't for turning and pushing the fact could lead to bad feelings, why do you care? Is he putting the house up for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

In denial. Unless he wants to sell, leave him off, what difference does it make? if he does want to sell, then he'll soon realise from the lack of viewings or what he'll consider 'derisory' offers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, i work with a bloke who lives in a huge lego land housing estate the arse end of wicklow - he bought his 2 bed house there for 470k 4 years ago,

he thinks his house has only devalued by 50k but when he wants to sell it in 5 years time you should make around a 100k profit (and is on interest only mortgage repayments) :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

dabestman1 wrote: »
    He's not an idiot...

No, he's an idiot alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

irishbird wrote: »
    yeah, i work with a bloke who lives in a huge lego land housing estate the arse end of wicklow - he bought his 2 bed house there for 470k 4 years ago,

he thinks his house has only devalued by 50k but when he wants to sell it in 5 years time you should make around a 100k profit (and is on interest only mortgage repayments) :confused::confused:

Definitely an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mr X11

The guy is a clown for buying a two bedroom house for anything near that kind of money. He deserves all that's coming to him. He'll be lucky if it reaches 200k on the open market now never mind in 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

I was talking to a neighbour who believes that his house has not gone down in value in the last year,i told him otherwise. He's not an idiot but seems deluded in relation to the valuation of his property. A couple of other people are saying the same. Do these people not read newspapers, the news or are they simply deluded? Anyone else find this annoying?I assume there are other people living in denial.

He's in good company with 50,000 or so other people advertising their properties through Estate Agents on MyHome or Daft.

It's a rather un-unique phenomenon I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

The average human uses emotion rather than logic when making up their mind.

Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

holy mother of flying hotdogs... 470k for 2 bed house?! and he think it droped only by 50k...

btw what does it mean: legoland housing estate lol

btw what does it mean: legoland housing estate lol
    hundreds of identical little boxy houses. practically every estate in ireland tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

I think that estate agents are largely to blame for this delusion, some of them over price by an astonishing degree. I've even had agents showing me properties admit that it's worth about 20% less than what they have it listed for.

Perhaps they expect the Irish to barter? Idk, me I just don't view properties that are THAT over priced on the grounds that, like your friend, the owners probably haven't got realistic expectations.

Love the expression 'legoland housing'. Perfect, totally fits those housing estates. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The agents should be trying to be realistic, after all they want a quick sale and not hanging on for months and months. An extra 50k is a lot to the seller but it's not a huge amount in commission, not worth waiting months for.

And I would think they try to do this with sellers and set a realistic price.

All the agent can do is follow the instructions given by the seller though and if the seller is in denial, you have to follow what your client instructs

Delgany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I think that estate agents are largely to blame for this delusion, some of them over price by an astonishing degree. I've even had agents showing me properties admit that it's worth about 20% less than what they have it listed for.

I think their pricing it higher than it's worth on the assumption that anyone making an offer for a house these days are unlikely to offer the full asking price.

Probably true but some of them go too far. There's a fine balance between assuming that people will just make a lower offer and putting them off because they assume that the owner will be deluded.

I recently viewed a house that was, imo, over estimated by nearly 30%. The agent kept repeating that he thought it 'very overpriced'. I didn't give him an offer because I didn't feel comfortable offering that much below list price. Maybe I should have but the degree of overpricing was just off-putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I remember gazumping, we had lots of threads on it

Will we see gazundering in Ireland?
    Seller desperate to sell, maybe in a chain with a bridging loan and right before the contracts are signed the buyer demands a lower price or they walk. The seller knows it might be months to get another buyer in place
    High pressure tactics

Well it was done the other way around not so long ago

Not condoning it now, just interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Surely it's only gone down in price if he is trying to sell .. if he likes his home & intends to continu living in it then it hasn't gone down in value to him

Only works in a sellers market, I'd walk long before it got to the contract stage now. Most times, I don't even bother to make an offer cause the seller is probably delusional to let it be over priced by that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Callan57 wrote: »
    Surely it's only gone down in price if he is trying to sell .. if he likes his home & intends to continu living in it then it hasn't gone down in value to him

Look at from a balance sheet perspective.
    His assets have devalued so his financial position has changed, negatively in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Zamboni wrote: »
    Look at from a balance sheet perspective.
    His assets have devalued so his financial position has changed, negatively in this case.

Unlike a company, he does not have to produce a balance sheet and even if he draws up, he doesn't have to get an independent valuation and can rely on his own best guess.

Yes, there are many deluded people out there. Was talking to a neighbour who is considering selling and their estimate of value of their house was about 70K more than mine, and I was basing my estimate on asking prices in the area on daft and myhome (which are more than you will get).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Eh no. If you had 100k in the bank and someone 'misplaced' 50k of it. Would that be an issue if you didnt plan to withdraw any money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Godge wrote: »
    Unlike a company, he does not have to produce a balance sheet and even if he draws up, he doesn't have to get an independent valuation and can rely on his own best guess.

Of course not, I was simply providing a different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Tell your neighbour to read this :pac:
    House prices in Dublin have fallen nearly 50 per cent since their peak in 2007, the Central Statistics Office has said.
    According to the CSO’s Residential Property Price Index, house prices in the capital are 46 per cent lower than 2007, while apartment prices have fallen 53 per cent since their high in February 2007.
    Nationally, residential property prices fell by 1 per cent in the month of April. This compares with a decline of 1.7 per cent recorded in March.
    The index, which looks at property on a national level, shows residential property prices throughout the rest of the country are 36 per cent lower than their highest level in 2007. Overall, the national index is 40 per cent lower than its highest level in 2007.
    Dublin apartment prices fell by 1.8 per cent in the month of April and were 14.1 per cent lower when compared with the same month of 2010, while house prices fell 0.7 per cent and were 12.6 per cent lower compared to a year earlier.
    Property prices throughout the rest of the country fell by 36 per cent in the first three months of 2011, and were 11.7 per cent lower than in April 2010.
    Dermot O'Leary, economist at Goodbody Stockbrokers, said the national average price for a house was €180,000, back to levels seen in early 2002.

"It is clear that an unprecedented correction has taken place, but until the banking sector shows real signs of rehabilitation, facilitated by the restructuring efforts currently ongoing, there is little reason to believe that prices will rise," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

If he's talking about how much he can sell it for, then it's gone down in value to him. If he's talking about the awesome view, then yeah, that's the same.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mikemac wrote: »
    I remember gazumping, we had lots of threads on it

Will we see gazundering in Ireland?
    Seller desperate to sell, maybe in a chain with a bridging loan and right before the contracts are signed the buyer demands a lower price or they walk. The seller knows it might be months to get another buyer in place
    High pressure tactics

Well it was done the other way around not so long ago

Not condoning it now, just interested

this happened to my friend, the day before the handover was due to happen they told her that they are reducing the price by 25k, as the prices had come down.

she told them to feck off and is now renting the house out - suits her tbh she doesnt live in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Property prices throughout the rest of the country fell by 36 per cent in the first three months of 2011

Surely a misprint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Surely a misprint?

3.6% I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

this happened to my friend, the day before the handover was due to happen they told her that they are reducing the price by 25k, as the prices had come down.

she told them to feck off and is now renting the house out - suits her tbh she doesnt live in the country
    thats lousy, im glad she told them to feck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

lainey316 wrote: »
    hundreds of identical little boxy houses. practically every estate in ireland tbh

You're obviously not a city dweller then.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

This post reminds me of an old neighbour, I sold in 2006, height of the boom. I remember after the sign went up neighbour says to me 'are ya mad selling now?' I said eh why he says 'sure the prices are only going to go up, Im waiting another year or two until it goes up to around 450k and then Ill get somewhere bigger'. I had only bought a year before, he had bought 8 or 9 years before, when the estate was first built, list prices on building were only 70k punts, still he thought he would get a 300k or more profit....

We sold end of 06, a few months later, another neighbour sale agreed for 20k less than our sale price, only our house was basic, theirs was extended to the back and attic, new windows and doors, tiled throughout downstairs with paved driveway and gates etc etc... They decided to stay put, didnt think they were getting a good price, most recent house to sell there was almost half their sale agreed price!

When I drive by my old estate I often wonder does my neighbour ever think of that conversation.... I have no negative equity, happily renting, hoping to stay like that for the forseeable, and they all said I was mad when I said I was selling before the prices started to drop! I would have been in huge trouble if I didnt sell when I did.

• Advertisement

lainey316 wrote: »
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    You're obviously not a city dweller then.:rolleyes:

Um, I am actually. Sorry, not a clue what point you're trying to get at there :rolleyes:

Advertisement