Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Barking

• 07-06-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

We got a 12 week old red setter on Friday. For the 1st 2 days she was an angel no problems with her. Since Sunday every time we put her outside she will not stop barking. As you can imagine this is really annoying, I am worried that the neighbours will start complaining.:(

So far we have not shouted at her as we feel this will not help the situation. Today we are trying a new tactic, we put her outside for 5 minutes, after the 5 minutes when she stops barking & is quite we then go out to her, but ignore her for a 2-3 minutes then give her a rub but not half as much as we use to. This is very time consuming.

We would like her to stay outside during the day and sleep in the house at night.

Does anyone have any ideas that will help us?

Also another issue we have noticed is everytime she is in the car she gets sick. Currecntly it not a big issue (barking is the main concern) but we would like to bring her on journeys with us in a few weeks. Any suggestions on this??

Thanks in advance for the replys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why ae you putting the pup outside now? Its only 12 weeks old and i honestly dont think a 12 week old pup should be outside on its own at the moment, its very young.

Pups need company at a young age and they wont like being left on their own outside so that is why the pup will be barking. I would try building up the time outside if you really need the pup to be out there.
    Maybe give the pup a lovely treat or kong to keep it occupied so when its outside its with something nice and tasty.

Regarding the getting sick when travelling, he should grow out of it. My pup did it for a few weeks but eventually stopped. Just try not feed the pup anywhere near travelling and try short journeys initially and build up the length of the journey then. Most pups will stop vomitting after a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

If you want your dog to be an outdoor dog during the day, then fine. But the problem with putting a 12 week old pup outside and you indoors is that they are not learning from you. This is the perfect time for them to get used to you and being around you and also to start teaching them basic commands, and also to play with them and teach them what is and isn't acceptable, like play biting.

Plus, they get bored on their own so you either get one that barks or one that digs up your garden. Either way, it's not their fault because they've gone from being around their litter mates who they could play and be active with to be left to amuse themselves and at that age, they just don't know what to do with themselves.

The dog is expressing his displeasure at being left out on his own when the rest of you are inside so like andreac suggested, you should really have something for him to do out there to tire him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

Thank you both for your replies.

At what age do you suggest I start to leave the pup outside. I was under the impression that you start as you mean to go on, this is why I was leaving her outside for periods of time. We do want it to be outside during the day and inside at night.

I would like to clarify, that we have not been leaving her outside All day, my bf has been off so he has been playing and training her how to walk on a lead etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

kmmh58 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Also another issue we have noticed is everytime she is in the car she gets sick. Currecntly it not a big issue (barking is the main concern) but we would like to bring her on journeys with us in a few weeks. Any suggestions on this??

Thanks in advance for the replys

With regards to the car sickness i have a 6mnth old who has never gotten used to the car and its such a shame because she gets all excited and jumps in when i open the door but within minutes she's sick even if she hasn't eaten for hours. So the trainer suggested i try ginger and it works well most of the timeand i can actually do a 30min journey without her being sick. Just a little bit or ginger biscuit about 20/30mins before travelling.

piperh wrote: »
    With regards to the car sickness i have a 6mnth old who has never gotten used to the car and its such a shame because she gets all excited and jumps in when i open the door but within minutes she's sick even if she hasn't eaten for hours. So the trainer suggested i try ginger and it works well most of the timeand i can actually do a 30min journey without her being sick. Just a little bit or ginger biscuit about 20/30mins before travelling.

Thank you for this suggestion, I will try this if in a few weeks it still has not settled, I really hope it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

kmmh58, oh absolutely, start as you mean to go on. I would suggest someone being out there with her to supervise her (and save your plants - our garden was destroyed three years ago with our pups & I was with them the whole time which only makes it worse! It was like three tiny hurricanes of destruction! Things were knocked over & dug up in the blink of an eye!) and have her out there for short periods during the day or evening, depending on your schedule.

I think mine were about a year old before I started letting them out on their own. I just felt that at that age they had a bit more sense and were able to properly amuse themselves because we'd laid out a few ground rules for garden behaviour, and I do feel that 12 weeks is too young to be out on her own simply because this is the time to be giving them direction that will pay off in a few months and judging by my two, they haven't a lick of sense at that age!

We had a red setter cross a long time ago. He had the most beautiful coloured coat. Any chance of a few pictures of the new arrival to the family?

LucyBliss, thank you for your reply. I will post some pics later :D

I think we have it sorted, I work 5 days a week, but my bf works 3 days. On those 3 days, we plan to leave the pup with bf mother who lives up the road.
    That way she will get use to being in the car, being around other dogs and is not on her own for 8 hours.
    When she is old enough we will try leaving her outside, but for now when she is outside we will be there with her, or have the patio door open so she can return in.

Another question - when do bitches usually start to come in heat. We intend to get her spayed at 6-7 months but until then will I have anything to worry about as bf mother have 2 dogs :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

They can come in any time from 6 months onwards, so you need to be careful if shes around intact males.
    My female rottie came in at 8 months but it can vary for different breeds. Some larger breeds tend to be a lot later when they come in to season.

Sorry meant to say, you wont have anything to worry about as long as shes not in season. So just keep a close eye on her from 6 months on. You usually will know if shes in heat, as she will bleed and they can go off their food, be a little bit off form too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You are fine until she goes into heat OP, my female went into her first heat at about 9 months but she is a small breed. I think larger breeds go into heat earlier. Your vet will be able to advise you better but she should be done at 6 months if possible. If you get too close to her heat then just seperate her from all intact males for the 3/4 weeks she is in heat and then get her done about 2 months after she comes out of heat.

Best of luck, pics when you get a chance. I love red setters, we had one growing up, his name was Rusty, we were so genius when it came to names :rolleyes:

TillyGirl wrote: »
    You are fine until she goes into heat OP, my female went into her first heat at about 9 months but she is a small breed. I think larger breeds go into heat earlier. Your vet will be able to advise you better but she should be done at 6 months if possible. If you get too close to her heat then just seperate her from all intact males for the 3/4 weeks she is in heat and then get her done about 2 months after she comes out of heat.

Best of luck, pics when you get a chance. I love red setters, we had one growing up, his name was Rusty, we were so genius when it came to names :rolleyes:

Naming a pup is hard, we named her Snooki we could (let's hope she doesn't live up to the name lol)
    I am back with the vet 18th June so I will ask her then about Snooki coming into heat, what age does she expect etc.
    Thank you all so much for your advice and comments. I will post pics once home from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

kmmh58 wrote: »
    Naming a pup is hard, we named her Snooki we could (let's hope she doesn't live up to the name lol)
    I am back with the vet 18th June so I will ask her then about Snooki coming into heat, what age does she expect etc.
    Thank you all so much for your advice and comments. I will post pics once home from work.

Just sent you pm. small world eh :D

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00315_1.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

Photo's as promised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Aww, what a cutie. If you get her speyed generally at 6 months, you have nothing to worry about. She wont come into season before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Gremlin wrote: »
    Aww, what a cutie. If you get her speyed generally at 6 months, you have nothing to worry about. She wont come into season before then.

not true my cocker went into heat at 5 and 1/2 mths so it can happen but is unusual. just watch for signs - going off her food, being extra clingy/moany, male dogs paying her more attention etc

OP she is fabulous!! i love setters! gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Charity Search And Rescue

Smart looking Snooki. Looking at the pixs, it seems you can be seen by Snooki from the backyard via the sliding glass door. If you place a gate (like a child gate or just a few pieces of crossed wood) at the door Snooki will be able to see you and lay at the gate. Eventually, Snooki will find the backyard more interesting than staring at you.

From the the animal's point of view - it may be barking cuz it thinks that a mistake has been made by leaving it out in backyard. It's barking maybe saying "hey you forgot me out here". Snooki, may not realize the backyard is her place to be.

Also, from Snooki's point of view inside house = fun - outside house = no fun.
    I have always given a pup a bone or toy when I separate from them. Pup will think something fun happens when Im left alone, this will make the transition easier. Pup only gets this special bone or toy upon separation.

What I have done in the past for motion sickness is to place the pup in a large cardboard box, have the passenger put their arm in the box with pup. The sides of the box should be high enough to block out the scenery whizzing by the windows. Drive slow up the road 5 min. - all the while passenger's arm reassures pup, stop, walk pup back to house.

This method won't stop motion sickness nor prevent it, however it will lessen the effects.

Good luck with the pup.... Jack

Smart looking Snooki. Looking at the pixs, it seems you can be seen by Snooki from the backyard via the sliding glass door. If you place a gate (like a child gate or just a few pieces of crossed wood) at the door Snooki will be able to see you and lay at the gate. Eventually, Snooki will find the backyard more interesting than staring at you.

What I have done in the past for motion sickness is to place the pup in a large cardboard box, have the passenger put their arm in the box with pup. The sides of the box should be high enough to block out the scenery whizzing by the windows. Drive slow up the road 5 min. - all the while passenger's arm reassures pup, stop, walk pup back to house.

Thank you for your advice, how long would you recommend the procedure for the motion sickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Charity Search And Rescue

Hi Ya`
    Can't say really, but I try at least 5 times and then judge from that point.... Jack

Advertisement