Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian husky puppy!

• 07-06-2011 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey am looking to get a siberian husky puppy have been reserahing the breed the last 2months and i no how tempermental they can be just looking for additional info like how do i tell a gud puppy wen goin to look at them??what is a good price to pay??how have ye gotten on wit ye puppys in the past etc??really looking to hear how ye get in and get experiance form sib owners thanks in advance ross:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

RJ59 wrote: »
    Hey am looking to get a siberian husky puppy have been reserahing the breed the last 2months and i no how tempermental they can be just looking for additional info like how do i tell a gud puppy wen goin to look at them??what is a good price to pay??how have ye gotten on wit ye puppys in the past etc??really looking to hear how ye get in and get experiance form sib owners thanks in advance ross:D

Hiya. Great choice.

I wouldn't say they're temperamental as such. First off, never, ever, ever let you dog off the lead in an unenclosed space, but you'll know that from your research, and make sure that you have a totally secure garden, if they can't go over, they'll go under:D

I'd recommend you contact the breed club, the IKC will give you the details. When you go to see a litter make sure that the parents have been hip scored, and that you see the results. The average for the breed is 7, so if either parent has a score over 10, I wouldn't recommend getting a pup from them. Also make sure that they have had their eyes tested, and that they are clear. Sibes can suffer from hip displaysia and from certain eye conditions, so if the parents are tested before breeding, it lessens the chances of these problems being passed onto the pups. The fact that a breeder has bothered to do these tests also helps to show that they are responsible breeders.

See the pups with the mother, and if possible, see the father as well, although that may not be possible if the breeder doesn't own him of course. The mother should be friendly towards you, as should the pups. Don't necessarily go for the most boisterous pup, or the least, try and get one in between:) Don't take a pup before they are 8 weeks old, I'd walk away from a breeder that sells pups before that age.

A good breeder should ask you as many questions as you ask them, they should be interested in knowing where their pups are going to end up. They should also have a puppy contract for you to sign.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I hope your garden resembles Alcatraz

Even then, they'll find a way out.
    10ft wall? Hey no problem :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RJ59

Thanks so much a great reply a lit in it thanks:D.. and just for those that mite tink it i aint getting the pup cause they look kool r whatever i have been researching for the last 3months so i feel its time to start looking at sum pups thanks again ross:D

I have and 8foot high wall around my garden its an acre in size and dont worry iant garden proud;)... and was gonna run 1 of them dog fences would dat not be ok??

I have and 8foot high wall around my garden its an acre in size and dont worry iant garden proud;)... and was gonna run 1 of them dog fences would dat not be ok??

what do you mean, one of those dog fences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

An electric dog fence wont keep any dog in let alone a sibe if that's what your talking about.

Yea dats what iam on about I have heard gud reviews about them and have met several owners of big dogs including a sibe Bernese mountain dogs and dobermans so I dunno taught they were da job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

Hi I trying to help a person who has bought a puppy on donedeal and she was horrified at the conditions in which the dogs were kept. Most of these dogs have health problems and could end up costing you a lot of money. I also know someone who did the same thing and has had to pay for a hip operation for her golden lab pup and it has cost her 1000's. Rescues do not rehome to people with electric fences so obviously they are not recommended. Think carefully because from my experience puppies need constant attention and are a huge undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi why dont you contact CONTACT:Irish Sled Dog Welfare (ISDW) (085 1054009) as they will have all the answers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yea dats what iam on about I have heard gud reviews about them and have met several owners of big dogs including a sibe Bernese mountain dogs and dobermans so I dunno taught they were da job :)

Absolutely dot NOT use one of these fences!!:mad: They are cruel and unreliable and certainly not to be used for breeds like Huskies.

I own rottweilers and wouldnt use them on any dog.

How would you feel if you kept getting an electric shock around your neck??:mad: Electric shock fences are an easy way out for lazy owners and irresponsible ones in my opinion and i honestly dont know how any dog lover could put one of these horrible contraptions around their dogs neck and think its ok?
    If you have a walled garden then why do you feel the need to use on of these?

Oh and the text speak is really annoying...

• Advertisement

Oh ohhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

PJMG wrote: »
    Have an electric dog fence for our rather hyper 9 mth old St Bernard bitch.She needs 2 collars to get a shock but once she knows her limits within the area she won't try and cross them,fence gives her the freedom of the area and piece of mind to us when we're at work knowing that she won't take off!and before someone blabs on about cruelty etc etc electric fence is on a 1 acre site and covers only the front entrance,but it does work

stops her being stolen too does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

PJMG wrote: »
    Have an electric dog fence for our rather hyper 9 mth old St Bernard bitch.She needs 2 collars to get a shock but once she knows her limits within the area she won't try and cross them,fence gives her the freedom of the area and piece of mind to us when we're at work knowing that she won't take off!and before someone blabs on about cruelty etc etc electric fence is on a 1 acre site and covers only the front entrance,but it does work

Says it all really.....:( Unbelievable, Poor poor dog.

Whatever the pros and cons of electric shock collars, they don't work for siberian huskies. Their prey drive is so high, that if they see something, they will take the shock and keep running. But they're not stupid enough to take the pain again to get back through it into your garden.

If you have 8 foot walls all around your garden, then you don't need an electric collar fence.

Advertisement