Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Crash (Help Please)

• 07-06-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Ok so here goes. Sony Vaio about 5 years old just crashed on my and cant get it to start up again. Window Start Up Repair does not work keeps failing.

The thing im worried about is itunes. I never backed up. Any way I can retrieve my library?

All my photos videos I think will be lost unless I pay some serious for money for somebody to take out the hard disc and do it that way. (Even this may not work)

Well anyways I just thought I'd throw it out there I reckon its on the scrap heap but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Try boot a Linux Live CD, and see can you mount the file system. If you can't, it's probably corrupt or the hard-drive may have failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Live CD of Ubuntu or a disk caddy. Take the HDD out put it in this and then attach via usb to another machine to see if it recognises it as an external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beanok77

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply. Few questions:

What do you mean by live cd? Do I need to buy one of these?

First time taking a hard drive out! I will look it up on youtube!

Are itunes lost? Or can these be recovered by plugging my ipod into a new pc/laptop?

Thanks again

Anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hi
    A 'live cd' will run an operating system entirely from the cd(without installing anything on the hard drive) and may allow you to browse the files on your harddrive and copy them out to an external drive. The variuos Linux live cds are available to download for free - you download the iso and burn it to disk.

It maybe that only the startup files on your drive have become corrupt, for any of many reasons, but this may not have affected the other files i.e. itunes, music, pictures etc.

The other alternative mentioned is a caddy. This is an enclosure that you can put your laptop hardrive into which effectively turns it into an external usb harddrive. They usually cost 20 -50 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

beanok77 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply. Few questions:

What do you mean by live cd? Do I need to buy one of these?

First time taking a hard drive out! I will look it up on youtube!

Are itunes lost? Or can these be recovered by plugging my ipod into a new pc/laptop?

Thanks again

No, you can download it and burn it to a disk.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download - Try Ubuntu, it's the easiest distribution to use. Just burn it onto a disk, pop it in the CD tray and start up your PC. Once Ubuntu loads - go to 'Places', and see if it shows your windows drive there.. I can't remember if Ubuntu automatically mounts the drive, or if you have to click on it to mount it.

See how that goes for you - if you can read all the files, then the file system is fine, and it's just probably something wrong with the windows bootup files. If you cannot read the files, the file system or HD is damaged, in which case - there is no point inserting the HD into a USB caddy.

ArtyM wrote: »
    Hi
    A 'live cd' will run an operating system entirely from the cd(without installing anything on the hard drive) and may allow you to browse the files on your harddrive and copy them out to an external drive. The variuos Linux live cds are available to download for free - you download the iso and burn it to disk.

It maybe that only the startup files on your drive have become corrupt, for any of many reasons, but this may not have affected the other files i.e. itunes, music, pictures etc.

The other alternative mentioned is a caddy. This is an enclosure that you can put your laptop hardrive into which effectively turns it into an external usb harddrive. They usually cost 20 -50 euro.

Cool. I'll try that. I don't get it! Windows repair worked once or twice and the laptop started up fine but now anytime I run repair it fails.

I have also run a diagnostic on the hard disc in the advanced settings and this comes back with no errors.

When the laptop starts up the screen looks all distorted like old atari graphics or something, hard to make out text. But since the problem happened a week ago I'd say I have had 2 successful start ups.

If I plug my ipod into another machine would I be able to get my songs this way?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hi
    The fact that the diagnostics show the hd is ok is good news. From what you mentioned there is possibly a fault with your graphics drivers or even your graphics card(not good). This is what is causing the startup problem. Tbh a reinstall of windows is the best long term solution but you must backup all your important files before doing this.
    The advise given so far by the posters is to aid you in getting access to your files - to be able to view them and copy them to another location(external drive).
    You will not be able to access them on your ipod on another computer, you would have to copy them into specific folder locations etc before your ipod would see them - thats a whole other scenario and there are many tutorials on the net for transferring itunes libraries between computers.

Focus on getting acces to your files and backing them up first. Once you have done this I, and others, will be glad to help you with the restoration of your laptop.

Will try to do this tonight.

Thanks again

ArtyM wrote: »
    Hi
    The fact that the diagnostics show the hd is ok is good news. From what you mentioned there is possibly a fault with your graphics drivers or even your graphics card(not good). This is what is causing the startup problem. Tbh a reinstall of windows is the best long term solution but you must backup all your important files before doing this.
    The advise given so far by the posters is to aid you in getting access to your files - to be able to view them and copy them to another location(external drive).
    You will not be able to access them on your ipod on another computer, you would have to copy them into specific folder locations etc before your ipod would see them - thats a whole other scenario and there are many tutorials on the net for transferring itunes libraries between computers.

Focus on getting acces to your files and backing them up first. Once you have done this I, and others, will be glad to help you with the restoration of your laptop.

Ok, so after trying to get the laptop going about 15 times I have eventually got it to this stage.

sonyvaiok.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I did not use a live cd as lucky for me it started working. Screen still looks distorted as can be seen in pic. But I am currently backing up my pictures and videos and I don't seem to be having any problems except its taking ages! But it is a lot of data.

Next step is to back up itunes. I'm only doing purchased items as this could take all night!

Anyways I was just wondering if anybody knew what might be wrong with my laptop by looking at that pic above?

I have ubuntu installed on a disc but I have a feeling the problem may be more serious. I am lucky to have gotten my information!

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Anybody around today for a bit of advice on that pic?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

beanok77 wrote: »
    Anybody around today for a bit of advice on that pic?

Thanks

Can't really say much on it except hazard a few guesses that it could be the graphics card.........or even the screen itself.

If you boot up the machine again can you press F8 to get in to safe mode? You can run a few malware scans there just to be on the safe side.

You could look at this tool as well.

http://maketecheasier.com/d7-troubleshoot-your-computer/2011/06/04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

chin_grin wrote: »
    Can't really say much on it except hazard a few guesses that it could be the graphics card.........or even the screen itself.

Yeah looking at it there I was thinking the same.. Why dont you try plugging it in to an external monitor... This will tell you if there is an issue with a) the screen or b) Windows/drivers/ etc

If you have access to another PC I would download the latest driver for your graphics card and then install this, primarily just to rule it out as being an issue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

oh and check the screen resolution as well.. you should be on one of the wider screen resolutions and what you have there looks to be 1024x768 or 1280x1024, which is for a proper monitor..

Thanks for the advice.

I will try a few of those things tonight.

Not being able to use my laptop is like I'm missing an arm or something.

It's scary how much I miss it. I get all my info online!

Advertisement