Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dodderer need 02 advice

Options
  • 07-06-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I was given this phone, its a vodaphone. I have two problems with it that you might gibe me idiot proof advice on please.
    First is I have 8 messages on 171, (so it tells me) can I delete the first seven instead of listening to them every time I get a 171 message and then should be able to listen to the 8th message which came today. What's the secret please?
    Second problem I have is that I do everything right to send a message and when I click send it does all the sending icons and never finishes, the text does not get sent. If I look at the out box the message, and all the other messages for the past few days are marked 'sending' but none are sent.
    Any advice would be most welcome.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

What model phone is it? The operator can send your phone the correct settings to fix the messaging problem.

I'm not sure of the shortcut to listen to your newest message first. Are you given the option to save the first 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Hello Kevin.
    I have no idea if I have the option to delete the first seven thats why I posted the query here. I looked up the phone type on ebay (went through the Nokia's until I found mine) and its a 2760.
    'The operator can send your phone the correct settings to fix the messaging problem.' How would i contact the operator please?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

press 5 to delete a voicemail as you're listening to it and it'll delete and move to the next one. Repeat until you're at message 8

Bingo, there's the 171 messages gone, thank you. Now for the messages that never send.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

enfield wrote: »
    Hello Kevin.
    'The operator can send your phone the correct settings to fix the messaging problem.' How would i contact the operator please?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.
    The operator is the company that provided you with your number (your account if you will) when you bought your own phone. If you registered with them when you first got a mobile they will have an account of you and your number. That is... if when you were given this nokia you then put your own sim card into it (from your old phone), and are using your own phone number.
    Or
    somebody gave you a phone with a sim card in it (which would be connected to someone else's account or be anonymous) and told you the phone number and you just bought some credit.

Which is your circumstances?

• Advertisement

The phone is registered in my daughters name, she did not want to be seen with suck an old thing. Her friends would look down on her. I put in my sim card and it works for me except over the past few weeks my texts don't get sent. I can receive them but not send for some reason. I do all the right things, then press send and when I check if its was sent it says it is sending. All my texts are like this, none get sent.
    Thank you.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You mentioned O2 in the thread title although you said the phone is a vodafone so I'm going to assume that your SIMM (the chip that you put into the phone when you got it from your daughter) is O2, I suggest that you take the phone into an O2 shop and tell them your problem, they should be able to sort you out on the spot.

I actually brought it in to an o2 shop and they suggested I bring it to the carphone warehouse as it was not one of their phones. Maybe the sim card is something else. My number starts with 086, does that make a difference? is that 02?
    This is confusing.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

It used to be the case that you could tell the network from the number but it's not as hard and fast any more because of number portability which is the ability to move network but bring the number with you so nowadays a person could have an 086 xxxx number but belong to almost any network.

Take the battery (and back cover if necessary) out of the phone and look at the SIMM (you shouldn't need to take the SIMM out), if the SIMM says Eircell or Vodafone it's Vodafone, if it says Esat Digifone or O2 you're O2, any other network will show the current name e.g. Meteor or 3.

If you can't read the network name, give us the first 8 or so digits from the long number stamped on the SIMM.

I took out the SIM card and it says 02
    Cheers.
    Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You need to check that the message centre number for the sim is correct. The settings will be somewhere in the messages section. The number for o2 should be:

+353868002000

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You need to check that the message centre number for the sim is correct. The settings will be somewhere in the messages section. The number for o2 should be:

+353868002000

Select Menu > Messaging > Message settings > Text messages > Message centres and input the number above.

I did'Select Menu > Messaging > Message settings > Text messages > Message centres ' and it got me to SIMmsg.centre1 SIM msg.centre2 and message centre, which one do I click?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I don't want to sound patranising,I'm on the wrong side of 60, but do you have credit. I know on my phone it puts messages into the out box if you have no credit. It does not tell me I'm out of credit though.

enfield wrote: »
    I did'Select Menu > Messaging > Message settings > Text messages > Message centres ' and it got me to SIMmsg.centre1 SIM msg.centre2 and message centre, which one do I click?

The one called 'Message Centre'.

You really shouldn't have been fobbed of by the people in that O2 shop, you are an O2 customer and they should have helped you out. The selfish bastards obviously only care about people who'll buy new phones or upgrades, shameful so-called 'service'.

Good question, and you are right to ask. Yes I have credit.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

I put that number in the message sender and now it goes through the motions of sending a text but when I look in the outbox the text I am supposed to have sent is not there. I tried this twice and neither text was sent or in the outbox. Time for a new phone maybe?
    Thanks for all your help guys!!

Advertisement