Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only getting half of my 24mb off Eircom

• 07-06-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

So I had 8mb BB with eircom, unlimited downloads etc. until last week. Everything was fine, always seemed to hit 7-7.5 mb.

Then I rang them up looking for a better, faster deal. They put me on the 24mb unlimited download package, which I thought was great, the next day my stats were somthing like 14,565/765 (in or around that) was hitting 12-12.5mb.

I got my new ADSL2+ router today as the guy on the phone said that would give me better speeds, now he did say my line was only capable of 17-18 mb, got the router today and stats are, 17404 kbps /765 kbps, but now i only seem to be hitting between 8-10 mb, hit the 12 mark once or twice in fairness but it's not constant like when I had the above.

I thought I would hit around 15-16mb seeing as the other speeds above used to constantly hit 90% of my connection. Should I go back to my old router and stick to the 12-13 mb constantly or is there something I can do with the new router to reach the 15-16mb speeds that I think I should be getting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

If you're set to a 17mb profile, and receiving around 8/10mb, then it sounds like your profile may be set too high. You could contact your ISP and ask to reduce the profile by a notch, which will stabilise the connection at a speed closer to what the profile suggests.

Otherwise, post your line stats (accessible from your router config) and we can have a gander. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

roast wrote: »
    If you're set to a 17mb profile, and receiving around 8/10mb, then it sounds like your profile may be set too high. You could contact your ISP and ask to reduce the profile by a notch, which will stabilise the connection at a speed closer to what the profile suggests.

Otherwise, post your line stats (accessible from your router config) and we can have a gander. :)

Cheers for the reply Roast, the router they sent me out which they said would speed up my connection is absolutely crap!

The minute I put back my old netopia rotuer i started hitting 14.5-15mb, I'm happy with this now seeing as they said my line would support up to 17mb. Way better than the crap speeds I was getting all day with the router they sent me out! Did a bit of reading around on this too, apparently there's a lot of people ranting about this router!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Zyxel seems to be very dodgy in my experience compared to the netopia. I used the Zyxel in a small property so I didn't notice initially but wifi range is worse compared to the netopia also.

The hourly wifi disconnects I get are also a pain. The key reauthenication timer can be changed to 9999 seconds which means the wifi disconnection only happens every 2 hours and 50 minutes roughly:rolleyes:

Support gave us a replacement zyxel router but that made no difference.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The Zyxel seems to be very dodgy in my experience compared to the netopia. I used the Zyxel in a small property so I didn't notice initially but wifi range is worse compared to the netopia also.

The hourly wifi disconnects I get are also a pain. The key reauthenication timer can be changed to 9999 seconds which means the wifi disconnection only happens every 2 hours and 50 minutes roughly:rolleyes:

Support gave us a replacement zyxel router but that made no difference.
    Change the key update interval timer to 0 and you shouldn't disconnect at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I could have sworn I tried 0 but it didn't accept the entry... I'll check it again when I get the chance. If it works, it's a nifty solution! Many computer-related things I've used do treat 0 as a byword for undefined or limitless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement