Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - Style Of Writing.

• 07-06-2011 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Can anybody brief me and what exactly are features of style of writing. Also, what kinda stuff do you need to know for them type of questions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Writing Styles are:
    1)Persuasive
    2)Argumentative
    3)Infomative
    4)Descriptive

So best thing to do is to identify what type of writing it is and then explain why.

E.g: Infomative writing is factual, may state statistics and figures. Writer uses objective tone. (doesn't take a side, sticks to facts and info)
    Persuasive writing is when writer uses emotive language to play with the emotions of the reader. He/She may do this by use of rhetorical Q's or hyperbole.
    Argumentative writing is when usually the writer takes a one sided approach to an arguement, may use statistics to try to convince the reader that he/she is right!
    Descriptive writing is using descriptive words to describe things. i.e. The thin, balding, pale man. (creates an image of person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Language of Persuasion - Rhetorical Q's, figures, personal story, attracting an emotional response (+/-)

Language of Argument - One sided, proposal at beginning, stats, references etc

Language of Narration - Character, scene setting, dialogue etc

Language of Information - bullet points, stats, neutral (not opinionated) etc

Aesthetic Use of Language - highly descriptive, striking imagery, beauty and harmonious ("When all at once I saw a crowd, A host, of golden daffodils" - Wordsworth), creates an artistic or creative medium.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Gavarn wrote: »
    Language of Persuasion - Rhetorical Q's, figures, personal story, attracting an emotional response (+/-)

Language of Argument - One sided, proposal at beginning, stats, references etc

Language of Narration - Character, scene setting, dialogue etc

Language of Information - bullet points, stats, neutral (not opinionated) etc

Aesthetic Use of Language - highly descriptive, striking imagery, beauty and harmonious ("When all at once I saw a crowd, A host, of golden daffodils" - Wordsworth), creates an artistic or creative medium.

Hope that helps :)

I find it hard to tell the difference between persuasive and argumentative.can someone explain how you differentiate between the two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Persuasive writing is usually used to influence people in a certain way, argumentative is to convince someone to agree/disagree about something, using facts and strong points. I guess they're pretty similar but persuasive writing tends to be more passive.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Persuasive writing is usually used to influence people in a certain way, argumentative is to convince someone to agree/disagree about something, using facts and strong points. I guess they're pretty similar but persuasive writing tends to be more passive.

ok thanks. makes a bit more sense now
    but what if the writer argues both sides of an argument or can dat ever happen???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Argument - think of it appealing to your head and logic!

Persuasion - think of it appealing to your heart and emotions!

For argumentative you're usually either for or against, it begins to get messy if you try juggling both.

crayon1 wrote: »
    Argument - think of it appealing to your head and logic!

Persuasion - think of it appealing to your heart and emotions!

rite.perfect.thanks
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    For argumentative you're usually either for or against, it begins to get messy if you try juggling both.

ok so a comprehension wont have both sides of an argument will it??

Well, there was a comprehension once talking about zoos which had two separate pieces alongside each other, one for, and one for against, and you had to discuss what each side brought to the table. I suppose that would be more uncommon, usually it's just one side being discussed I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You don't need to know the definitions of the styles of language; they are only handy categories for teaching them. In reality, most texts will be a mixture of all styles. What's important is being able to identify techniques and elements of style like imagery, questioning, emotive language, anecdotes, definitions etc.

Try to find two examples of each and then discuss the effectiveness of them e.g. "the use of statistics is convincing and made me think of the topic in another way" or "the rhetorical question made me realise how ridiculous the idea is" or "the writer used interesting similes to create a memorable image which evoked memories of sunny childhood days" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

I now fancy you all!
    Thank you and good luck tommorow all the LC people :)
    x

Advertisement