Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard water - ferrybank

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Has any one got a softener and found a difference with their cos I'm in bits with,, it's a nightmare

Interested to know this too. The kettle we bought to replace the one the hard water ruined first off is now .

Had visitors over the weekend who have had hard water all their lives and they were surprised at the amount building up on a freshly cleaned kettle so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 31 connie00

Not living in the ferrybank area but have had the same problem in a different area and got as culligan softner installed.

Its sorts out the problem and just wish I had one installed earlier. One of the first things I notices was the shower as an earlier poster said about their skin. As soon as the softner went in the the skin felt alot softer after showers.

Only other thing I will say is I don't use the softened water in my kettle as sometimes you can taste the salt in it and it not very nice. So I continue to use the mains supply (thourgh a britta jug) and the kettle gets cleaned with vinegar every few weeks.

That being said I know some other people that use the water form the softener from their kettle and don't get that salt taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gone gardening

KKCA wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've been having problems too but over the weekend I fitted a Combimate...Its a filter system fitted to the mains water that extracts the lime from the water before it gets into the system.....after one day the results are noticeable! Before when I boiled the kettle and filled a glass the water was cloudy......when it went cool there was a lining of lime on the bottom...today the boiled water was crystal clear and no sediment when it cooled. WAY cheaper than a water softener at €195...my partner fitted it so no additional cost...phosphate balls come with it and only need to be changed yearly ideally but if the water is really badly effected may need to be done twice a year.......€55 for a replacement box of balls so cheaper than replacing the shower/washing machine/dishwasher etc etc etc !!!!

hi
    Im living in south kilkenny and having problems with hard water. I looked on the boards websit and saw your post, just wondering how your system is working now, whats it called and is it available nationwide? I need to do something asap to avoid future problems with heating systems etc and would be really grateful to know how yours is doing now.
    Also has anyone heard of blasting out lime scale in the heating system? is there such a thing and is it expensive as Im not working.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Decibel Audio

My company is doing a Anti-scale unit that is made in Germany , With your system there is no need for salt and connection to water supply , Please look at the web site www.cwt-international.com , On the site you will find all the information about the product . Also i have water testing cards available from us please email derekdunphy@mac.com or call on 0878132714 i living in ferrybank and can pick it up from me [URL="http://www.cwt-international.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KKCA

Hi,

Combimate still going strong....haven't had to replace the balls yet but everything working great. Kettle still has a tiny amount of limescale but what I would consider normal. My friend and two cousins also fitted one and have no complaints. Doing exactly what it says it will do. Well worth the money I paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Pick up a little water-filter in Heatons, and change the filter in them every 2 or 3 months. Works fine. Just filter the water into the jug and then pour it into the kettle.

Actually, come to think of it does Waterford have a Heatons? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Pick up a little water-filter in Heatons, and change the filter in them every 2 or 3 months. Works fine. Just filter the water into the jug and then pour it into the kettle.

Actually, come to think of it does Waterford have a Heatons? :confused:

They do but Kilkenny dosent.But we do have Flynnys bar which is hard to get the eye of the bar staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My sister was only getting a day out of each filter! She spent months getting her water from me in 5l bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

marlin vs wrote: »
    They do but Kilkenny dosent

Kilkenny does. Where is the Heatons in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 power123

:)Heatons is in Waterford Shopping Centre Lisduggan:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

And in the Hyper also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This hard water change was made without anyone's permission. People, like me, bought houses in ferrybank that contained soft water. We now face massive bills to replace showers, attic pipes etc.

The reason that more of an uproar hasn't been seen is because a lot of people are still putting up with crap kettles and crap showers...and ye pipes in the attic are still kinda working - they haven't faced any big bills YET.

The companies that make the water softeners have the smell of blood in their nostrils - and who can blame them? But who can afford 600 quid or more for a softening system?

It's a disgrace tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KKCA

I knew it was bad but I didn't realize how detrimental the Lime can be until I saw a pipe that had been taken from the attic of a house in Blackthorn Hills......it looked like it had been eaten...literally.....by some super rat!
    "abouttobebanned" I absolutely agree with you....we had no warning about the changeover and sending a flyer mths later when the damage had already started was a disgrace. There has been no apology since and no offer of financial help.....maybe if they waived the annual unnecessary digging of some of the roads they could put their money where its badly needed and gain some favour with their wage payers!

There was a meeting about this in the Abbey College recently, did anyone from Ferrybank go, what was the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm still waiting for a flyer letting me know...

I'm mad to get a softener, the parents house (in Limerick) had hard water, father always complaining about his hair and skin, etc, etc...

Anyway, some young lad called to the door and guaranteed that they would be so happy with the softener, that if they weren't he would take it out free of charge and refund the money. That was 7 months ago.

Fantastic device, the difference is amazing. He also ran a seperate (small thin) tap to the kitchen sink which has the original, non-treated supply for using on the grandkids bottles, etc. The father poured a glass of treated and untreated water into 2 similar glasses, and after an hour you could see the sediment in the untreated. Also, no need for salt in the dishwasher anymore! And the showers, wow. A complete difference experience. Soft skin almost immediately, you use less shampoo, etc, and the shower stays cleaner, longer.

As i said, i'm mad to get one, and they're slowly coming down in price. The parents paid €560 for theirs, and the salt needs replacing every 3/4 months. I don't even have one yet, and i couldn't recommend it more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gone gardening

Hi
    just wondering if there is such a thing as blasting out the existing lime build up before fitting a water softner and how much it would cost roughly for a three bed house?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in the quality of the water recently? The water seems to be a lot softer. Have been in contact with Kilkenny Co Co, who say they're not treating it but my kettle/shower are not as scummy the last few weeks. Could rainfall on a biblical scale dilute the ground water thus softening it? Was going to buy a softener but at the moment no need too.

Great to hear after forking out €550 on a softner a month ago :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I noticed it myself lately. Kettle hasn't needed to be descaled in a good while. Delighted really, but I'm worried they might go back in the winter. Maybe they ran out of lime...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 mcmcoleran

Hi
    The problem of hard water can solved with an electronic treatment system.
    It will stop the build up of lime and will clean out the lime that has already in the pipes and hot water cylinder.
    There is no maintenance cost, unlike the salt system and you can drink the water.
    With the salt system it is not recommended to drink the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

How much is the electronic system? Do you have any more detail on it?

Hi
    It is a small unit that fitted to the mains water supply , usually under the sink and is plugged into an electric socket.
    It has a six months working guarantee ie. if you feel it is not working for you or we can not solve your problem you get your money back.
    Once fitted there is no maintenance and there is no need for an extra tap as you can drink the water.
    It also clears the pipes of any lime build up that is already there.
    Admin: <SNIP>
    I hope this is helpful.
    Regards
    Martin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mcmcoleran wrote: »

Considering how hard lime can be in existing pipes, I'd take this with a pinch of salt until I see actual physical proof

mcmcoleran wrote: »
    Hi
    It is a small unit that fitted to the mains water supply , usually under the sink and is plugged into an electric socket.
    It has a six months working guarantee ie. if you feel it is not working for you or we can not solve your problem you get your money back.
    Once fitted there is no maintenance and there is no need for an extra tap as you can drink the water.

I hope this is helpful.
    Regards
    Martin

Sounds interesting anyway. Do you have a website or any customer testimonials?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I am using the salt system in Ferrybank with great results - ( I have left the kitchen tap untreated and just de scale my kettle regularly)

Hi
    Glad you did something about it but you do have on-going costs and don't forget to put in the salt.
    Regards
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Can anyone recommend a supplier of these systems?

Martin - if you read this, can you PM me your number please

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm looking into a system for my house.

I'm mainly concerned about the drinking water, it tastes terrible and we are buying bottled water at the moment - Will any of these system actually improve the taste of the water?

We're only living here since last summer but I'm aware I need to look after appliances as well, our dishwasher is already making funny noises!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm looking into a system for my house.

I'm mainly concerned about the drinking water, it tastes terrible and we are buying bottled water at the moment - Will any of these system actually improve the taste of the water?

We're only living here since last summer but I'm aware I need to look after appliances as well, our dishwasher is already making funny noises!!!

Give Aisling Water Systems a buzz. They sorted out our water and it tastes spot on. Not living in Ferrybank though

http://aislingwatersystems.goldenpages.ie/

Advertisement