Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

creep for calves

• 07-06-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

hi i was wondering what creep feed ration people are using weanling crunch for calves jan to april born pb angus .350 ton at moment ..thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

jerdee wrote: »
    hi i was wondering what creep feed ration people are using weanling crunch for calves jan to april born pb angus .350 ton at moment ..thoughts.
    sping born calves wont be on ration here til sept but last years autumn born lads are on red mills hi grain mix at 265 a ton selling them sat at carnew mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

leg wax wrote: »
    sping born calves wont be on ration here til sept but last years autumn born lads are on red mills hi grain mix at 265 a ton selling them sat at carnew mart.

how long have they been on it for ?

ellewood wrote: »
    how long have they been on it for ?
    7 weeks

7 weeks

tks

best of luck with em sat, are they all blues?
    what weight are they?
    you have them good and early so you should have plenty of buyers

ellewood wrote: »
    tks

best of luck with em sat, are they all blues?
    what weight are they?
    you have them good and early so you should have plenty of buyers
    1 bad blonde bull the rest are blues 26 in total going only 21 fit for export.bulls range from 420kilo-220 kilo,heifers 350kilo-220 kilo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

1 bad blonde bull the rest are blues 26 in total going only 21 fit for export.bulls range from 420kilo-220 kilo,heifers 350kilo-220 kilo.

Now is the time to let them go when the prices were good. Sold a couple myself a few weeks back - september calves. Heifers made €400 with their weight - not bad for limousins. Bulls made €450. If the crash comes at the back end of the year, at least you're rid of them!!

well how did you get on with the weanlings?

they went only ok but i was blown away and spoilt with what they made last year ,the exporters thats name begins with Q was there but not buying cattle and have not been buying for a few weeks because they cant get paid from the italy and alot of money is owed, had 26 to go only 24 would fit in lorry. bulls 450kg 1220e ,402kg 1140kg,404kg 1140e,384kg 1060e,344kg 1080, 366kg 1030e,338kg 960e,311kg 850e 312kg 820e,318kg 760e,heifers i put the best 7 in together they were not sold in the ring 291kg 750e sold outside for 800e was very pissed off with these as the same heifers at the same weight last year made 1000e,also 2 at 340kg 780e , 396kg 800e, 370kg 800e.i took photos of them but cannot put them up for some reason if anyone can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Add photos this way :
    Use the Paper Clip icon as shown in the following attached pic, then Browse to the file (picture) you want to add, Upload and then Close Window.

Great prices there, by the way.
    Any idea how much meal they would have eaten since birth last September?
    Were they AI or your own bull?

• Advertisement

Tried that but a message 503 Service Unavailable keeps coming up - is there a limit with a jpeg file?

Maybe, I don't know. Open the photo with MS Paint and save again as *.jpeg. That should reduce the memory size of the photos.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Great prices there, by the way.
    Any idea how much meal they would have eaten since birth last September?
    Were they AI or your own bull?
    they only got meal in the last 7 weeks,they ate 10 tons of meal between 26 of them and 2 cows for the factory.they were ai and stock bull .7 of them were out of heifers that calved last july.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Waddy

seen those blues selling they were very good alright. what sort of cows are they out of??

blonde and red lims.

they went only ok but i was blown away and spoilt with what they made last year ,the exporters thats name begins with Q was there but not buying cattle and have not been buying for a few weeks because they cant get paid from the italy and alot of money is owed, had 26 to go only 24 would fit in lorry. bulls 450kg 1220e ,402kg 1140kg,404kg 1140e,384kg 1060e,344kg 1080, 366kg 1030e,338kg 960e,311kg 850e 312kg 820e,318kg 760e,heifers i put the best 7 in together they were not sold in the ring 291kg 750e sold outside for 800e was very pissed off with these as the same heifers at the same weight last year made 1000e,also 2 at 340kg 780e , 396kg 800e, 370kg 800e.i took photos of them but cannot put them up for some reason if anyone can help.

jezus that was good money alright! and you got even more for them last year - fair play they must be very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

For f**k sake. Now why do you post info like that? there me thinking I was mighty getting 700 hundred for weanlings!

Ah no, only joking fair play to ya. Would love to be at that level. Must take a long time trying to build up a herd like that.

what cow would you say is better. Blonde or LM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Tried that but a message 503 Service Unavailable keeps coming up - is there a limit with a jpeg file?[/Q

keep trying, would love to see a few pics of those type of cattle, thats the type of road map we need to try and follow as opposed to Derrypatrick :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well done legwax, good prices there. Hope the Italians can come up with the readies soon......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

pics....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

pics....

Legwax, doesn't like to boast, so I'm putting up a picture of himself, and the handiest one of those blues, on his behalf. Hope you don't mind LW:cool:

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Leg wax could be a dwarf Tora bora, you might have hit a sensitive spot

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

pics....
    sorry but they will not go over to this site,my wife does all this stuff and infareness to her she spent nearly 2 hours last night trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Serious animals there to be fair. Any problems calving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

they look class legwax and the prices for d bulls are where i want to be!!what are they by? when are ur 1st canadian club sultan and kubitus calves due ?

no problem with them but always watching, byu sfl edj ovo stock bull,first sultans and canadian due sept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

savage animals leg wax ;) did you sell any of them yet ? or when do ya plan on selling them?

polod wrote: »
    savage animals leg wax ;) did you sell any of them yet ? or when do ya plan on selling them?
    read all the thread,;);).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

read all the thread,;);).

ahahaha my bad :D jays ya did well lad ;)

slightly off topic here but didnt want to start another thread.

I have bought a few different brands of weanling crunch this summer and I have noticed that there is an awful lot of dust left in the bottom of the troughs after feeding. I give a half bucket of crunch to 8 calves every day. The brands I've used so far are quinns weanling crunch, quinns beef care 2 and Kiernans pedigree 3. I buy from the local harware shop so whatever he has I buy.

I wonder are all crunches like this? A man down the road gets ration from wynnes in bulk. He said its great feed no dust! that got me thinking!! I dont use enough to justify getting a silo and buying bulk so I was wondering are there any other companies supplying good weanling crunch with minimal dust in 25kg bags? Maybe I should just buy nuts if i dont want dust but i think weanlings need a mixture of concentrates?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

i have used two to three different types i see being in the feedstuff workforce that palm kernel is the only filler that seems to be left in the end of bag ..ie a filler ...
    it seems that molasses content varies also.. have you checked the bag label for products....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

RobinBanks wrote: »
    slightly off topic here but didnt want to start another thread.

I have bought a few different brands of weanling crunch this summer and I have noticed that there is an awful lot of dust left in the bottom of the troughs after feeding. I give a half bucket of crunch to 8 calves every day. The brands I've used so far are quinns weanling crunch, quinns beef care 2 and Kiernans pedigree 3. I buy from the local harware shop so whatever he has I buy.

I wonder are all crunches like this? A man down the road gets ration from wynnes in bulk. He said its great feed no dust! that got me thinking!! I dont use enough to justify getting a silo and buying bulk so I was wondering are there any other companies supplying good weanling crunch with minimal dust in 25kg bags? Maybe I should just buy nuts if i dont want dust but i think weanlings need a mixture of concentrates?

Do many people use pencils over the crunch??:confused: I've always used them, less coughing with the weans and it's cleaner. I know it's dearer but in the long run them seem to pay off.

• Advertisement

Lot of Blonde in this animal I'd say! Definitely an animal I would buy if I seen her. What price did she make? & off what bull? I'm a BBQ user at the moment.

Karen112 wrote: »
    I'm a BBQ user at the moment.

I don't know who you use for AI, but our AI man from Mohill cannot get BBQ straws anymore - he said that BBQ got hurt and it could be 12 months before there are straws off him again. I got some great calves off BBQ last year and had hoped to use him this year too, but it has been all SFL that I have been using. Although I got good calves off SFL last year, BBQ calves will definitely be the best sellers!!

reilig wrote: »
    I don't know who you use for AI, but our AI man from Mohill cannot get BBQ straws anymore - he said that BBQ got hurt and it could be 12 months before there are straws off him again. I got some great calves off BBQ last year and had hoped to use him this year too, but it has been all SFL that I have been using. Although I got good calves off SFL last year, BBQ calves will definitely be the best sellers!!

Mr Paul is my man! The sensible person decides on a good bull and buys in quantity, hence why I have a great stock of BBQ and Giga this year. It goes bad some years when I pick the wrong bull, but when you're on to a good one, you're flying. I'm still using Westside Bob this year as I got 50 straws in his first year, fabulous bull and definitely under rated. SFL I have given up on, he didn't seem to suit my cows, have chanced my first Blonde on a PB Lim this year, so far she's always thrown heifers so if I get a good heifer it's future planning for breeding!;)

Mr Paul is my man! The sensible person decides on a good bull and buys in quantity, hence why I have a great stock of BBQ and Giga this year. It goes bad some years when I pick the wrong bull, but when you're on to a good one, you're flying. I'm still using Westside Bob this year as I got 50 straws in his first year, fabulous bull and definitely under rated. SFL I have given up on, he didn't seem to suit my cows, have chanced my first Blonde on a PB Lim this year, so far she's always thrown heifers so if I get a good heifer it's future planning for breeding!;)

Westdide Bob or Giga never worked for me. A lot of calves from them were very low. They're probably suited to bigger cows than mine. I find SFL great for black cows (Angusx and Limousinx). The calves are usually growthy and fairly hardy. BBQ is a great bull for red limousins or chaorlais.

I have a couple of blond calves this year. They are off black limousinX heifers. All turned out red. Very impressed with them. They were late calvers, but the calves are passing out some of teh early calves already!!

What sort of breeding do you have in the Pedigree limousins? Do you show any of them?

Westdide Bob or Giga never worked for me. A lot of calves from them were very low. They're probably suited to bigger cows than mine. I find SFL great for black cows (Angusx and Limousinx). The calves are usually growthy and fairly hardy. BBQ is a great bull for red limousins or chaorlais.

I have a couple of blond calves this year. They are off black limousinX heifers. All turned out red. Very impressed with them. They were late calvers, but the calves are passing out some of teh early calves already!!

What sort of breeding do you have in the Pedigree limousins? Do you show any of them?

I started with one embryo transplant off Ulyssue and by a show winning cow, then used Navarin on her for a few years, got 2 nice heifers and bred them again to PAM & ULM (which has Mas Du Clo breeding), best one we have is off Tarot though, and all are as quiet in the field, never had a problem with them.
    Only showed a few of them but we did win a few prizes in local shows. What blonde did you use? I went for Kilmore Bruce or whatever he's called.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BBQ is a great bull for red limousins or chaorlais.

What colours have the calves been from that cross reilig

Legwax,
    Serious weanlings there. Maybe you should apply for a job at Derrypatrick?
    Any chance you could put up 1 or 2 pics of you best cows, to give us 'students' an idea of what to aim for?:D

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What colours have the calves been from that cross reilig

The chaorlais are mostly brown and white striped, some are pure white, others have a brown and white speckle through them.

The limousins will often come black and white or red and white, or sometimes fully black.

SFL seems to bring every second calf for me in red and white - no matter what breed the dam is.

I started with one embryo transplant off Ulyssue and by a show winning cow, then used Navarin on her for a few years, got 2 nice heifers and bred them again to PAM & ULM (which has Mas Du Clo breeding), best one we have is off Tarot though, and all are as quiet in the field, never had a problem with them.
    Only showed a few of them but we did win a few prizes in local shows. What blonde did you use? I went for Kilmore Bruce or whatever he's called.:rolleyes:

I think they are all off Onyx. I was following Paul's advice because i didn't know too much about them!!

I have 2 ped Limousin cows myself. 1 off neurf and the other off Rocky. Both have very nice heifer calves off Sauvignon. I have an incalf ped heifer off Pelletstown Upstanding (PUP) and she's calving to Milbrook Dartanion in a few weeks. I have had ped AA and Ch in the past, but the Limousins seem to get on better than any of the other breeds ever did. I have no problems with calvings and they just run with the other cows. Quite happy with them!

I think they are all off Onyx. I was following Paul's advice because i didn't know too much about them!!

I have 2 ped Limousin cows myself. 1 off neurf and the other off Rocky. Both have very nice heifer calves off Sauvignon. I have an incalf ped heifer off Pelletstown Upstanding (PUP) and she's calving to Milbrook Dartanion in a few weeks. I have had ped AA and Ch in the past, but the Limousins seem to get on better than any of the other breeds ever did. I have no problems with calvings and they just run with the other cows. Quite happy with them!

All I know about PUP is that he brought us lots of twins and one superp heifer that went €1500 @ 420kg in Mohill. He just seems to work on heavy CH cattle for us. Good maternal sire though for further breeding. I mostly got white or red/white off the LM's this year, with one strange one off SFL that is blue/red/white:confused:

Did you ever use Sympa? I seen loads off him at Balmoral this year. Is he even carried by any A.I. round here do you know? Rocky has great haired calves from what I've seen though, one of my neighbours in true Leitrim style describes him as having ends 'Like the back of a bus!':D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

I think rocky was a super bull iv stocked up on him as hes dead now,im also gona try Halctlife Dancer

What other good blues are people using so??. iv been using BYU, RYP and EDJ but iv very few straws left

Also in charolais TZA is now gone, iv some nice calves off KIB but too hard calved for me,any suggestions???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

NOV was popular down south but has been forgotten about. smashing figures
    http://www.icbf.com/taurus/bull_search/index.php?ani_id=108374920&target=b_eurostar

saw some great calves off SFL last week
    DBZ seems to be the pick of the new blues from belguim that NCBC have got in from belguim
    If you want to take a punt, RWS is a new test blue by joker and shouldnt be too hard calved

would you try parthenaise?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    I think rocky was a super bull iv stocked up on him as hes dead now,im also gona try Halctlife Dancer

What other good blues are people using so??. iv been using BYU, RYP and EDJ but iv very few straws left

Also in charolais TZA is now gone, iv some nice calves off KIB but too hard calved for me,any suggestions???

We all want the good calf that is easy calved! ;)
    PIO in the CH isn't a bad one on both fronts, but he's been around a while so he may be tricky found these days. While this year I went all out on Crossmolina Euro, I hear he's hard calved so if you see my complaining on this next year, it serves me right!

Have you tried BLQ in the blues? Boherard Bullseye. His calves may not have been the best of our bunch, but they still got over their €2.30 a kg last harvest.

All I know about PUP is that he brought us lots of twins and one superp heifer that went €1500 @ 420kg in Mohill. He just seems to work on heavy CH cattle for us. Good maternal sire though for further breeding. I mostly got white or red/white off the LM's this year, with one strange one off SFL that is blue/red/white:confused:

Did you ever use Sympa? I seen loads off him at Balmoral this year. Is he even carried by any A.I. round here do you know? Rocky has great haired calves from what I've seen though, one of my neighbours in true Leitrim style describes him as having ends 'Like the back of a bus!':D

I haven't used Sympa. I saw the ones off him in Balmoral this year too. At the Limousin Society Sales last Spring, every second Bull appeared to be off him. Last year was my first crop of pedigree calves so I decided that I'd look at something different than Sympa because not everyone that's buying a bull will want one of Sympa. So I used Sauvignon. Got 2 heifers off him this year. Cows are gone back in calf to Ampertaine Commander.

Paul doesn't carry too many of these more expensive straws, but you can buy straws from Philip Crowe in Powerful Genetics and he will deliver them to Paul for you. His website is http://www.powerfulgenetics.com/

He has some fine bulls of all breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

Agree with Reilig - I find Powerful genetics very good and have quailty bulls - mainly from UK sources.

I haven't used Sympa myself, but I have used his son Dancer on some cows this time around - so should be interesting if the live up to the hype!!!!!

I have headed down the route of going pure limo cows too- slowly building up numbers. I keep the best 5-6 bulls and sell privately at 16-20 mths, and keep the best heifiers for replacements - rest sold as weanlings. I then cross these with BB's, & Blondes from 2nd calving onwards. Some really nice calves from pure limo X BB.
    I'm reluctant to go with the whole herd pure bred, because I think it's hard to beat the hybird crossing !!!! has anyone else gone fully pure????

I have some simmental X cows too, but find they blues are abit plain off them - good weigths at 9-10 months etc, but not the same muscle definition/shape as off limo's.

Anyone with pure cows & pure calves (any bred) for export/weanling market - or do you cross bred???

Just on feed - a friend is growing whole crop this year - think it's wheat/pea mixture - he said he'd give me the headlands off one fieLd if i wanted to try it out. anyone used it for feeding weanlings or cows after calving????? would it be any good, would it replace meal?????

• Advertisement
Advertisement