Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

creep for calves

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

have 1 good calf out of 6 from BLQ:mad: an thats from my best U grade blue cow By VDC,pissed off with him very plain calves,will try that joker son in todays journal they say good things about him as he has calves already on the ground.

Was thinking about NOV seen great calf off him few wks ago, the char liscally eti looks a great bull, seen him last summer at shows, should breed well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

rws doesnt have calves yet. the first straws of his are only coming on stream now

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Ya straws are only available now but they bought the bull on the strength of his first crop of calves on breeders farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Karen112 wrote: »
    Lot of Blonde in this animal I'd say! Definitely an animal I would buy if I seen her. What price did she make? & off what bull? I'm a BBQ user at the moment.
    mother was a blonde heifer dad was the blue stock bull.she was with the other heifers 290 kilo 800 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

pakalasa wrote: »
    Legwax,
    Serious weanlings there. Maybe you should apply for a job at Derrypatrick?
    Any chance you could put up 1 or 2 pics of you best cows, to give us 'students' an idea of what to aim for?:D
    the funny thing about it is if i put up my best cows you would laugh and say no way your takeing the p... but must start putting up on picture thread to keep it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

reilig wrote: »
    I haven't used Sympa. I saw the ones off him in Balmoral this year too. At the Limousin Society Sales last Spring, every second Bull appeared to be off him. Last year was my first crop of pedigree calves so I decided that I'd look at something different than Sympa because not everyone that's buying a bull will want one of Sympa. So I used Sauvignon. Got 2 heifers off him this year. Cows are gone back in calf to Ampertaine Commander.

Paul doesn't carry too many of these more expensive straws, but you can buy straws from Philip Crowe in Powerful Genetics and he will deliver them to Paul for you. His website is http://www.powerfulgenetics.com/

He has some fine bulls of all breeds.

Thanks for that, Paul's always useful for holding straws.:D

I'm reluctant to go with the whole herd pure bred, because I think it's hard to beat the hybird crossing !!!! has anyone else gone fully pure????

Anyone with pure cows & pure calves (any bred) for export/weanling market - or do you cross bred???

You're the same as a lot of people (myself included) roughly half the herd is pure and we calve the replacement heifers first time with LM, which is keeping them at similar numbers every year.
    Very hard to beat a good thick CH/LM cross cow, especially with a heavy CH sire for bone or the BB to catch the LM muscle in the dam. Just try to keep them small is the main thing for us, a nice handy LM with good milk is far easier fed than a hungry SIM!:p

Advertisement