Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why does motorway change back to N road on approach to city?

Options
  • 07-06-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Why does the motorway change back to National Primary Road several km's before the end of the road? I'm baffled by this.

Who's in charge of the N section? City council or County?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It's possibly so that you don't hit the roundabout at the end doing 120kph.

Not that you'd notice with the carnage on the roundabout.

From experience, the City Council, the NRA and the County Council all refuse to take responsibility for the roundabout section. And the RSA don't care that it's a dangerous piece of road, and the Gardai can't release accident statistics for it!

Not sure about the rest; presumably County Council or the NRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

That section of road wasn't even supposed to be there, the outer bypass was supposed to join the motorway at the Oranmore exit. I would say its classed as an N road because they probably had to get extra funding for it and there may be extra costs associated with it being a motorway e.g SOS phones etc

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

120kms me backside, i havent seen any one doing 120 ,or even 100kms on that road, you would think it was the airport runway , cos its like they build up speed to get to the roundabout and take off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That section of road wasn't even supposed to be there, the outer bypass was supposed to join the motorway at the Oranmore exit.
    It is supposed to be there but not as we know it Jim. The bypass is going to start around 1km west of the Oranmore junction ( sometime around 2033 or so :( ) and as it will not be motorway grade there is no point making the road a motorway until the next junction.

The western bit of dual carriageway will then become the Galway East exit.

Map showing it here

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/Publications/FileEnglish,3522,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

cats.life wrote: »
    120kms me backside, i havent seen any one doing 120 ,or even 100kms on that road, you would think it was the airport runway , cos its like they build up speed to get to the roundabout and take off.
    So what speed they doin??? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement