Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should "the ladies lounge" clarify its position and only allow ladies to post?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It sounded distinctly as if you were addressing the forum and those who mod/use it rather than the random posters who come up with these crazy suggestions - as well as getting in a personal dig, all of which seems rather petty and needless tbh.
    I'm sorry if that's how you read it, but I'm not at all sure how it seemed like I was addressing the Lounge, either:

"I just figured they talk about boring stuff in tTL, like Ribbons, Unicorns, Oppression and a Hostile Work Environment. I have little interest in what they post there, basically. So what do they need to bar me from entering for?" Not not sure how that got misinterpreted. I like to think that I make intelligent use of my pronouns. My post was entirely addressed at the question. And I find it kind of annoying that I've had to waste 2 or 3 posts clarifying the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Dudess wrote: »
    :confused:

Could you produce examples of men in general being criticised on The Ladies' Lounge? Because I'm ****ed if I've ever seen them - and would report them.

TLL mods etc defending themselves here are fighting a losing battle though, because the OP and those who share his presumptuous outlook ain't gonna budge - they've made their minds up, despite flimsy support, and despite very sturdy support of the counter arguments.

Er... best of luck, Ickle, Wibbs and co. - you're probably gonna lose a few hairs. :pac:

You'll see in contentious threads a general warning will be put out if male posters are putting forward arguments that go against the general consensus of female posters.
    So they're prohibited from posting stuff like "Irish women are the bitchiest IMO"? And rightly so - can you imagine a woman starting a thread like that about men in TGC...

I don't think any reasonable person is claiming there's anything wrong with that

I also have no clue why this thread wasn't locked on sight when its clearly just intended to flame.

Its when you're in the middle of a debate and the female perspective warnings are put out its annoying thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I also have no clue why this thread wasn't locked on sight when its clearly just intended to flame.
    Windsock put it well in post 19. Otherwise its more of an AH thread, where plenty similar threads have been discussed before, such as female teachers seducing their students, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Oryx wrote: »
    The forum is not anti man but it is there primarily for womens interests, in the same way as shooting is there primarily for those who like guns, and H&F for those who like keeping fit. At least one of the tLL moderators is male. Men are welcome to post there, and do. Trouble only occurs when anyone posts there in an off topic or unwelcome way.
    If that is case then would you kindly brief..... What was wrong with my post....My post was in context of topic....
    why women wish to be sex symbols in minds of hungry men...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72504769&postcount=112
    See, i just asked a simple question and get the warning by moderator....
    I am very sorry say.... Some moderators, at ladies lounge are racist. They prefer that posts which matches with their doctrine / creed.... If a person is religious then they have already made their mind against the person. I ain't regular poster at Ladies lounge but i am sure so many innocnet had been slaughter by them...... So i wish to end this tyranny!!!!
    Please do not derail this thread.

And please read the charter of this forum before posting again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72524534&postcount=117
    Now the moderator herself derailed the topic by warning me. I had no desire to detailed that topic into religious debate........ Now, tell me about her presupposition.... How she knew that i hadn't read the charter ....... I read charter before posting but she wanted to treat me with her prejudices.

I am regular poster at "atheism and agnostic". I have no problem with the moderators of that sub-foram because they are moderators not dictators..... Banning is pure dictatorial act.... It must be stopped.... Banning is anti freedom...... ......... They are many derailed topics on the board.... No one has banned someone for derailing the topic..... Only those member get banned, who are disliked by moderators..... Simple case, If your doctrine doesn't match with the doctrine of moderator.... You will be the victim of his/her dictatorship..... ... A moderator should be moderator.... He shouldn't become dictator..... Honestly ,I am not satisfied with their progress...

See, i ain't hypocrite........ i have to speak truth without any fear...... The ladies lounge is filled with executioners who scarified people at the altar of their doctrine.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Its when you're in the middle of a debate and the female perspective warnings are put out its annoying thats all

Then perhaps debate in a different forum.

"The female perspective warnings get put out" kinda make me think you're missing the point -they're on the forum before you even open a thread.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Windsock put it well in post 19. Otherwise its more of an AH thread, where plenty similar threads have been discussed before, such as female teachers seducing their students, etc.

Odd, since the thread was locked in AH, but allowed remain open in tLL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

@dead_one: what in the name of Jaysus are you talking about?

tbh wrote: »
    Can't you understand.... It's simple but poor English....

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tbh wrote: »

he/she isn't allowed free reign to use their religion as justification for some backwards attitudes towards women. Quite a few of the replies dead_one posted in the Women & Islam thread were basically Quaran-thumping.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    he/she isn't allowed free reign to use their religion as justification for some backwards attitudes towards women. Quite a few of the replies dead_one posted in the Women & Islam thread were basically Quaran-thumping.
    See, What i posted in the Women & Islam was according to thread........ Even i didn't derail that topic..... Every post was in context of Islam..... Yet that thread was locked by moderator because it was exposing their hypocrisy... The reason is simple, because they don't want to discuss religion in ladies lounge / dictators lounge............ Now, no dictator at Ladies lounge dare to answer my posts....Why because they have no answer for it...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

dead one wrote: »
    I am regular poster at "atheism and agnostic". I have no problem with the moderators of that sub-foram because they are moderators not dictators.....

That's funny, because yesterday they issued you with exactly the same warning for exactly the same reason...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

See, What i posted in the Women & Islam was according to thread........ Even i didn't derail that topic..... Every post was in context of Islam..... Yet that thread was locked by moderator because it was exposing their hypocrisy... The reason is simple, because they don't want to discuss religion in ladies lounge / dictators lounge............ Now, no dictator at Ladies lounge dare to answer my posts....Why because they have no answer for it...........

I disagree, but thats not what this thread is about so I'll leave it at that.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The reason is simple, because they don't want to discuss religion in ladies lounge

dead one, keep your religious discussion to the Religion & Spirituality section of this site.
    Overheal wrote:
    And I find it kind of annoying that I've had to waste 2 or 3 posts clarifying the obvious

Because they needed clarifying, certainly I understood them in the same vain as Ickle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If that is case then would you kindly brief..... What was wrong with my post....My post was in context of topic....
    Yep and on previous experience no doubt leading into your usual guff about women and how your religion is the way forward. Examples like SNIP just saw Ber's post. You're a religious troll basically. And with a view of said religion that is out of step with modern humanist society and certainly out of step with a women's forum.

See, i just asked a simple question and get the warning by moderator....
    I am very sorry say.... Some moderators, at ladies lounge are racist.
    Hang on. You ended up being banned because you accused another moderator of being racist. You then went on to deny this in a PM to me and another mod of the forum. So where's your honesty now?
    See, i ain't hypocrite........ i have to speak truth without any fear...... The ladies lounge is filled with executioners who scarified people at the altar of their doctrine.....
    You couldn't make this guy up. To be fair he wasn't the worst. We had another hammerhead of his ilk show up and call western women whores. Oh yea, like that goes down well with the locals...
    And stupendously sexist. Basically his way of thinking is about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit in the Ladies Lounge except as an example of what to avoid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Demands for tLL to clarify its position on male posters has been happening in a very cyclical fashion almost since its inception. "Egads!!" cried a tiny component of the male boards population "it's a corner of the internet that's dedicated to women, I must destroy this abomination!1!11!!".

It never ceases to amaze me how vehemently these individuals defend their imaginary right to have their say on the forum. I say imaginary because let's be black and white about this - boards.ie is not, let's all say it toegether, a democracy. It is not a platform for you to have fredom of speech. It is not somewhere that you can come on, say what you like regardless of how abusive/ racist/ sexist/ ageist it is and then walk away without consequence.

This is one forum out of hundreds that is dedicated to the female point of view. Why in <insert deity of choice>'s name is this such a hardship for some people to understand. Why are you forcing tLL Mods to clarify their position? They've clairifed it time and time again and it's written in plain English in the Charter.

As has been said there are a number of threads that could very easily slot into other forums but when they're in tLL it means that the designated topic is being discussed primarily from and for a woman's pov. It's that simple. Why does this offend people so much?

I'm closing this thread shortly.
    It's going nowhere and I'm not seeing any valid points.

TLL is well run with a good set of Moderators doing a sound job.
    If some posters don't like the style of that particular forum and it's content, they are free not to read it.
    The vast majority of the regular users of that forum are happy with it.

That's funny, because yesterday they issued you with exactly the same warning for exactly the same reason...
    See, I have got 1000 Warnings from them... but they never banned me..... They delete my off topics posts..... That is moderator ship not dictatorships... You people ban which is injustice and pure tyranny...... Why you don't amend your cruel laws..... See, banning a person won't create love for you anymore.... This is how you people are making more and more enemies.....

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I'm closing this thread shortly.
    It's going nowhere and I'm not seeing any valid points.

TLL is well run with a good set of Moderators doing a sound job.
    If some posters don't like the style of that particular forum and it's content, they are free not to read it.
    The vast majority of the regular users of that forum are happy with it.

Should i start a new topic..... I am still not satisfied? Are you one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

See, I have got 1000 Warnings from them... but they never banned me..... They delete my off topics posts..... That is moderator ship not dictatorships... You people ban which is injustice and pure tyranny...... Why you don't amend your cruel laws..... See, banning a person won't create love for you anymore.... This is how you people are making more and more enemies.....

I'm thinking of starting a book on this ones site ban, any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Should i start a new topic..... I am still not satisfied? Are you one of them?

I think with that,its time to bring on the lol cats.

Sharrow wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting a book on this ones site ban, any takers?

I presume I'm exempt, as I could tilt the odds in my favour?
    dead one wrote:
    Are you one of them?

One of The Dominion?
    What gave me away?

• Advertisement

I post quite regularly in the tLL forum, pretty much because, on the whole, I find the posters there to be a lot more fair and balanced than most places on boards.ie.

I presume I'm exempt, as I could tilt the odds in my favour?

'Fraid so, but I am sure we can come to another arrangement.
    Anyone for a game of persecution bingo?

dead one after reading your contributions to the ladies lounge,
    I have just one question to ask. Are you Frank Miller?

FrankMillerWhores.png?t=1242018975

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

g'em wrote: »
    Demands for tLL to clarify its position on male posters has been happening in a very cyclical fashion almost since its inception. "Egads!!" cried a tiny component of the male boards population "it's a corner of the internet that's dedicated to women, I must destroy this abomination!1!11!!".

It never ceases to amaze me how vehemently these individuals defend their imaginary right to have their say on the forum. I say imaginary because let's be black and white about this - boards.ie is not, let's all say it toegether, a democracy. It is not a platform for you to have fredom of speech. It is not somewhere that you can come on, say what you like regardless of how abusive/ racist/ sexist/ ageist it is and then walk away without consequence.

This is one forum out of hundreds that is dedicated to the female point of view. Why in <insert deity of choice>'s name is this such a hardship for some people to understand. Why are you forcing tLL Mods to clarify their position? They've clairifed it time and time again and it's written in plain English in the Charter.

As has been said there are a number of threads that could very easily slot into other forums but when they're in tLL it means that the designated topic is being discussed primarily from and for a woman's pov. It's that simple. Why does this offend people so much?
    This really sums it up.

Otis Driftwoods post earlier added to it. Like him I do weep for some members of my gender at times.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I lurk more than post in there and think the modding in there is good.
    The forum isn't for guys having questions about or for the other sex - but for women and girl that wants to discuss girly things.

Charter
    This forum is for the discussion of topics from a woman's point of view.
    We do welcome male input, but do bear in mind that this forum is firstly for the women of boards to have their say, from their point of view.

It's a damn shame people go in there to stir crap and if I was a mod there there'd be bannings galore (good thing I'm not, eh).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

The constant furore about The Ladies Lounge really baffles me, misandry is forbidden, I've issued more warnings against sweeping generalisations about men than I can shake a stick at, yet still this "TLL is anti-men" debate rages on.

Men are welcome in TLL, we only ask that threads not be turned into a debate about how something happens to men too, because TLL was primarily set up to discuss topics from a women's perspective. It is really that simple, I don't understand all this confusion.

Yet in TLL we are constantly having to justify our position against disgruntled male posters, the minute a more serious thread starts the mods are on alert because we just know it will be derailed with some aggrieved male posters demanding that the female posters back up their posts with evidence/dates and scoff and belittle the experience that that particular poster has shared. It can be quite frankly disturbing. It's not a competition, men don't have to win every time yet these posters feel that way and their agenda appears not to debate but solely to antagonise.

Nobody in TLL is denying that men are affected by certain issues, to do so would be farcical, but why does every single thread have to descend into a gender war because of a few numpties who refuse to abide by the charter and be mindful of the fact that the ethos of the forum is to discuss a topic from a woman's perspective?

You know if I went into the rugby forum and started a thread stating that the majority of Munster supporters who wear the jersey are nothing but turf chewing bog monkeys, I'd expect to be banned, I'm not adding anything to the forum, I'm just having a rant.

The number one rule across Boards is to obey the charter of the forum you're posting in, and if you cannot abide by that rule then you don't post. It is truly that simple, so I cannot understand why we are, yet again, having this debate about The Ladies Lounge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bottle of smoke, you didn't answer my question.

I disagree, but thats not what this thread is about so I'll leave it at that.
    See, if you agree or disagree that's your choice...... But i haven't gotten good answer from dictators of ladies lounge..... Why i was ban for a crime which i have never done......
    dead one, keep your religious discussion to the Religion & Spirituality section of this site.
    See madame
    I never discussed religion unless the topic belong to religion..... Why you can't understand...... The topic in the dictator's lounge with Title "Islam and women" was religious topic..... That's why i discussed religion in that topic.... and in the other topic i get warning..... I didn't know why i was warned..... What crime i had done by posting just a simple question..... I had never used a religious word in that topic........ After that Mr Wibbs falsely interpreted my quotes to make it excuse for banning..... That is injustice.... He has prove himself as a executioner.... I wonder how many innocent were executed in the evidence of his doctrine...
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep and on previous experience no doubt leading into your usual guff about women and how your religion is the way forward. Examples like SNIP just saw Ber's post. You're a religious troll basically. And with a view of said religion that is out of step with modern humanist society and certainly out of step with a women's forum.

Do you hate humanity because of religion. Isn't it the religion which you are following...... Are religious people not allowed in dictator's lounge?.... If that is case then why you don't amend your cruel doctrine which are executing innocents. See, i have told you i have no desire to derailed that topic into religious debate. I just asked a simple question and get warning from moderator..... Why this warning because you hate all the men who follow religion, You hate all the women who follow religion.... Isn't it racism discrimination..... discrimination is hell hound which is often found in hand of Moderator at Ladies lounge.....
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Hang on. You ended up being banned because you accused another moderator of being racist. You then went on to deny this in a PM to me and another mod of the forum. So where's your honesty now?
    I didn't call her racist.... you falsely interpret my quote to make it excuse for your dictorship.... You are the executioner at the dictator lounge....you have executed me.... i will never allow to execute anymore innocents....... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. You follow your rules only against those to whom you oppose..... You break your rules to feed you ego....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Silverfish wrote: »
    We are most likely thinking of different threads so, or else different styles of posts.

I dont really want to get bogged down in the specifics of every case of every aggrieved poster however.

Nor do I, which was why I tried not to bring the specifics of that thread into this thread. And just to be clear, I am not an aggrieved poster. I didnt complain (as regrds the other thread) when my post was deleted, or when the generic Mod request was made, I just when off about my business. And my comment here was a minor comment on the topic intended to be constructive.

In a few cases (and it is a small minority), what appears to happen is that a male poster makes a reasonable & constructive point which is against the general view already expressed in the thread. The response from some tLL posters, and Mods, is to attack the male poster in one way or another. Of course, this elicits a predictable response and heightening of temperatures. Shortly thereafter, the Mod steps in and declares the thread to be women-only, and often bemoans the actions of the male poster who entered the thread, whilst ignoring what actuallly caused the thread to derail/become uncivil.

Is it a coincidence that in this thread, where I entered to make a relatively minor and constructive post, and before I had barely made a second post, I was accused (by tLL Mods) of making 'snotty dismissive posts' (in another thread) and of 'being aggrieved' (in this one).........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Maple wrote: »
    Men are welcome in TLL, we only ask that threads not be turned into a debate about how something happens to men too, because TLL was primarily set up to discuss topics from a women's perspective. It is really that simple, I don't understand all this confusion.
    Possibly because it is not that simple. The thread I referred to had no specific male angle. I simply wanted to explain, to women who perceived that their GP was being rude or uprofessional, the reasons why that perception might arise, which was met, after some time, with a generic Mod warning that the thread was for women only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement