Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

She's terrified of the hoover!

• 07-06-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all...

Saoirse, 16 months, is terrified of the hoover... always has been, she's kind of tolerated it up til now and will just cry if it goes on but when I turned it on a few minutes ago she tried to climb out the sitting room window screaming... :eek:

I obviously need to hoover... don't want to do it when she's gone to bed incase it wakes her up and I don't want this going on forever... any tips to get her used to it?? She hasn't had any bad experiences with it or anything she's just terrified of it, think it's the loud noise...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Does she react to the hairdryer? what about when the washing machine or dishwasher goes on a spin cycle? big lorries?

It's very likely the sound that drives her crazy (it's a hard decible for young ears). It could also be the vibrations - we'd barely feel them, but if she's on the floor it may feel like an earthquake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't use a hair dryer... and we live in a quiet estate, no lorries around here and if we're in the car she's usually asleep... washing machine and dryer aren't a problem for her... she sleeps above the kitchen and they wouldn't wake her up if it went on a spin cycle...

I think it is the sound... want her to get used to it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Maybe show her the Hoover sucking up something on the floor in a fun kind of way and make it seem less threatening?

That or get a less noisy hoover, some makes e.g. Miele, are very silent.

Some of them are really annoyingly loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Any hope of plugging her ears while the hoover's on? At that age I know my girls never would've let anything in their ears, but maybe making a game of keeping a woolie cap/earmuffs on? That at least may dull the worst of the screeching sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Probably not addressing the problem as such but you could get/borrow one of those quiet vacuum cleaners, Dyson do them I think, and see how your child reacts to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Probably not addressing the problem as such but you could get/borrow one of those quiet vacuum cleaners, Dyson do them I think, and see how your child reacts to that.

In our experience, Dyson produced really noisy machines.

Miele, Nilfisk, Bosch, AEG-Electrolux seem to be the manufacturers that are focused on making the machines silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Elisha is the same i let her help me hoover and she doesn't seem to mine, or if she follows me along with a brush it keeps her happy. For some strange reason she loves housework will run to pull clothes out of washing machine and will give u potatoes to peel when she's hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I second whoever said show her the hoover sucking up something!

Isobel had a horrendous fear of black plastic sacks for the bin, in fact any plastic bag! Anytime I would rattle the bag or try and change a bin she'd freak. Eventually i just started doing silly things and playing with the bag in front of her....she was still scared the first time or two, but after a couple of goes, she realised it was ntohing to be scared of and just laughed! It was the same with the hairdryer....

Advertisement