Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win over €1,000 Worth of Website Training from SelfAssemblySites.com

• 07-06-2011 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all

You may have seen the banners on the site for a company called SelfAssemblySites. To go along with this, we have a 2 part competition - an easy question, with smaller prizes and a more interesting question, with larger prizes. Feel free to enter either or both!
    SelfAssemblySites is the #1 online website development training program and private members community. Partly inspired by questions on Boards.ie forums, we have hundreds of videos that walk you through all aspects of planning, designing, building and running your website - no previous technical skills required. Through HD quality video, we teach you how to set up a high quality website using the same tools as professionals.
    Following our QuickStart module you can have a simple but professional site live within 4 hours.

Competition:

The mood around Ireland has shifted - we have new politicians, historic visits from the UK and the US, even the IMF are considering giving us a break! We want to continue that positive momentum :)

We have a 2 part competition - an easy question, with smaller prizes and a more interesting question, with larger prizes. Feel free to enter either or both!
    Easy Question: What website or online tool do you find most addictive? You can name anything you like - there is no one correct answer, but we might give bonus marks for cool sites that we haven't heard of before :)

Prizes:
    4 x SelfAssemblySites Monthly Memberships (worth €53 each)

Interesting question: Our challenge to you is this: if you had the ability to build a great website around an idea, what idea would you choose to build?

It could be non-profit, or super profitable. Local or global in impact. It could be practical or completely off the wall. The most interesting ones will win our love, respect and admiration and with that some free memberships to SelfAssemblySites!

Prizes:
    2 x SelfAssemblySites Annual Memberships (worth €312 each)
    2 x SelfAssemblySites Quarterly Memberships (worth €102 each)

To enter the competion, leave a comment with either one or both answers.

Ts & Cs:
    1) You may enter both parts of this competition.
    2) This competition will run from 07 June to 17th of June
    3) The winners will be chosen by Boards.ie and SelfAssemblySites staff after the competition closes and winners will be notified of how to access their prize by PM.
    4) This competition is open to everyone except SelfAssemblySites and Distilled Media Employees

Best of luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Dav wrote: »
    Easy Question: What website or online tool do you find most addictive? You can name anything you like - there is no one correct answer, but we might give bonus marks for cool sites that we haven't heard of before :)

www.imo.im is a great all in one browser based instant messaging tool.
    Interesting question: Our challenge to you is this: if you had the ability to build a great website around an idea, what idea would you choose to build?

Website would be based around sports in Ireland. It would show leagues/competitions/events for various sports nationwide for all ages. It would feature a search similar to that on some pc hardware sites with options such as:

Sport
    Sex
    Competitive/Leisure

As it is, we're too small a country to have such a fragmented attitude to sports so an all encompassing site would be great for promotion of activity in Ireland. Would possibly earn some revenue from advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hello all

You may have seen the banners on the site for a company called SelfAssemblySites. To go along with this, we have a 2 part competition - an easy question, with smaller prizes and a more interesting question, with larger prizes. Feel free to enter either or both!

http://www.apexvj.com/sc/

A really cool visualizer that takes the best songs from Soundcloud and adds some very nice visualizations. It can also be controlled remotely from your phone, so you can change song or visual from your couch!

You can also play music locally from a HD if the music doesn't suit your taste, much better then any visualizer I've used that comes with any standard media player.

A search engine that aggregates all the the online auction websites such as eBay.ie; Amazon; Adverts; BuyandSell etc giving the user the best value possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanesheridan

www.dropbox.com/

Always reliable, simple and easy to use. Recommend to everyone I work with and we use it all the time. Saves money, effort and time with everything. Makes my life easier!!!!

If I had the ability to build any website it would be a fun simple website whereby you would upload a portrait picture of yourself, and using technology it immediately finds the people in the world that most resembles your facial features. think it would be an interesting time wasting idea!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

question 1: has to be this http://therevolvinginternet.com/ has to be the coolest thing i have ever seen!

question 2: my idea would be for an advetising that uses "Different" methods if advertising to say the least,. id use the website to sell my products!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Q1: Easy

http://summify.com/

Q2: Interesting

I'd build a site that is an all in one location for shopping deals in supermarkets and cheapest prices per area. The site would have an app for android and iphone that allows customers to scan items and update the prices of these to the site.
    Included would also be the option to add a list of common items that will notify when a shop local to their location at any given time is cheapest or is having a deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

What website or online tool do you find most addictive? You can name anything you like - there is no one correct answer, but we might give bonus marks for cool sites that we haven't heard of before

Galaxy Zoo - a website that allows user to view images of, and classify galaxies from images taken with the Hubble Space Telescope and Sloan Digital Sky Survey. Its members help to classify and organise images of millions of galaxy's, great fun for youngsters or budding astronomers alike - and you might learn a thing or two as well!

iTab (working name lol) - a website designed around providing official guitar tab from published guitar tab books. This would be extremely handy for downloading the tab for songs that may have been included in rare / no longer printed tab books. As well as contemporary and popular tab.

Need the tab for 1 song, and don't want to spend a fortune sourcing / purchasing the entire tab book? iTab is the place to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Easy Question: What website or online tool do you find most addictive?

It's difficult to choose. The internet has revolutionized the world. I nominate the world wide web, for services to humanity.

I would like to see a good website about Irish lace and Crochet lace in particular. It would have tuition, a shop and a forum. Irish crochet lace is made all over the world, I've found people in Peru, Columbia,Russia and the east European countries (very popular) and of course the US. It's a very popular hobby yet there is so little Irish representation or participation. It also gets 1000's of views on the video sites

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Question 1: http://www.damninteresting.com/ A very interesting site. I dont know when it was updated last.

Question 2: A dating website for people with intellectual disabilities. There are dating websites for people with disabilities out there but they arent really user friendly for people with intellectual disabilities.
    I would have easy to use buttons and audio tools for people who have problems reading. For example if you had trouble reading a button that said Sam's personal details I would have it that when you hover over the button that an audio plays that says " Please click me for Sams personal details". I would vet each person that wants to join the site by asking someone who works with them to say what kind of person they are and record it, then people could play it back. Instead of just having a picture and written details I would record the person saying the kinds of things they like and what kind of person they are looking for. This would all be on video so that people who have trouble reading can listen to it instead.

I would include useful details like what bus route they live on and were they can meet up in private as people with intellectual disabilties usually cant drive and are chaperoned a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Q1 - http://www.epassportphoto.com/
    Passport photos in this country are a complete rip off with 4 little photos often costing €10. With this you just take your own photo at home, upload it and download the .jpg file. Then just save it and bring it to Tesco to print it out for 50c.

Q2 - I would build a non-profit website to connect travellers with people advertising homestays. The only homestay websites out there are cheesy and expensive to use. I started up one for a family in Peru (www.homestayperu.net) and would now like to expand that. In the 9 months since that website has been up the family have had double their usual family income. This family would not normally be able to access these kind of sites because they'd have to pay to join.
    My idea would be something like Couchsurfing, except the travellers could expect meals, a bed and to be able to stay longer in return for a small fee. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

If I'm ever buying things online I check out Retailmenot.com :D Great resource for online coupons

A web site that helps you manage multiple e-mail address's. Really clean design too as I find live.com cluttered and doesn't get E-mails from my gmail account instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dylabaloo

Easy Question: My most visited and easily most addicting website is Giantbomb.com, Giant bomb is the best gaming website on the internet! Never have I seen a website run with such honesty and with such heart/personality. They revolutionized video game coverage with the Quick Look, where they play a game for sometimes large chuck of time giving their honest opinions of what they think completely unedited. They are like mini-reviews and are most of the time hilarious! Heres a best of click made by a community member!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx5n0nDXQJ0

The website has a very small main staff of about 4 people Ryan, Brad, Vinny and Jeff and you really get to know these guys through the vast content available. But easily the bread and butter of the website is the podcast and as you may know E3 is happening, one of the largest events of gaming and they have recently just put up a brilliant 5 hour podcast with all sorts of industry insiders. The website usually has only original content but as its E3 there is a lot of trailers on the main page but just click videos and then quicklooks to see all that.

And the best part is I still haven't begun to tell you breath of content such as The endurance, thursday night throwdown the extensive video game wiki/database and the quest system.

Check it out for yourself and dive into the content, don't know where to start ask the on the websites forums!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0RDMJ4OsUk

Interesting question: A website I would love to build is a community driven website reviewing/spotlighting website! The internet is vast and finding great sites can be really difficult so i'd love to make a one stop site so people can experience a better internet!

Good luck to everyone and thanks for the sweet competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Easy Question I know it's not exactly an unknown site but the most addictive online site for me is stumbleupon.com

Interesting Question I would create the worlds first online shopping centre (based on Dundrum). This would allows users to virtually surf through a shopping centre. They could enter shops and add whatever they wanted to their shopping basket and then check everything out in one "basket". Everything could then be sent in one package to their home address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Easy question: should say boards.ie vast amount of info and other "interesting" stuff but I would have to say www.getitkeepit.com
    Great for keeping track of your bills and also helps the environment by reducing paper waste

Interesting question: I would like to make a medical based website similar to getitkeepit where your medical records, X-rays, prescriptions etc are all stored
    Ideally I would like an intergrated app where you record when,what and how much medication you have taken. This would then be synched to your medical hx thus making it easy for dr etc to monitor your compliance and also adjust medications appropriately

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sean-og3

Easy Question:
    http://www.cheermeup.info/ is a new simple website that allows you to either 1) share your problems annonymously with the world or 2) try and help someone else with their problems they have aired. Whether you are a 'cheerer-upper' or 'a problem poster' this website will leave you feeling that bit better...

Interesting Question:
    Just a quick bit of background:
    1) Physical Education and physical activity have shown to be an effective means of improving the life of children with disabilities.
    2) Ireland's new inclusive education laws mean the numbers of children with disabilities in general physcial education is increasing dramatically.
    3) A recent report shows lack of teacher training in this area is the biggest barrier to successful inclusive physical education.
    4) Children with disabilities are being successfully included in many irish PE classes but in many also they remain inactive on the sidelines.
    So, I propose to create an website www.disabilityfreepe.ie that will allow teachers to post the challenges that they experience in including chilldren with disabilities in Physical Education. Other teachers can then respond giving suggestions of strategies that maybe they have successfully used. It would be a self sustainable non profit website that would raise awareness and effectiveness of including children with disabilities in physical education.
    www.disabilityfreepe.ie... please help me make it happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Boards.ie of course!!!!!!!!

They say it is free but so far it has cost me a fortune from all the carp I have bought off Bargain Alerts.

They say you get fat from spending to long in front of a computer, yet through the knowledge I got from the fitness forum I am probably the healthiest I have been and a far shadow of the over weight person who initially signed up for boards.

They say people who use the internet are loners yet I am getting married in september to someone I meet at a boards beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

TinEye Reverse Image Search Engine - a great tool for webmasters when looking for larger versions of images such as logos and the like. Uses image recognition technology to analyse the image you upload/link and shows you search results of different versions of the same image.

The problem with this question is that I have the ability but I don't have the idea! And if I had that idea I really doubt I'd post here for everyone to see! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 danidani

Thank you, kpac. I am confused because I don't see where did I write my ideea in this site; I can't find it.
    I saught as well a thread who bellongs to shanesheridan that is very similar with mine...he wrote first, so I shoud say I wrote similar with him :)
    But when you put the site link, I realised that somebody thaught at this as well :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Perhaps it doesn't quite fit under the adjective "addictive" but I find readibility to be a really useful way of transforming the tiny text on some sites (mainly blogs in my case) into something more legible. It also get rid of the distracting banner crap that clutters the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Getting to the end of the competition, folks - any more ideas & entries?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the entries folks, I'll be coordinating with Dav at HQ to adjudicate and will be in touch with winners. We'll probably post the list of winners here too if there's no objections from the office :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

dory wrote: »
    Q1 - [url]
    My idea would be something like Couchsurfing, except the travellers could expect meals, a bed and to be able to stay longer in return for a small fee. :)[/url]

Airbnb.com has been around a while and is a fab site for homestays. I'm looking forward to when it gains more traction in South America / Asia, it's mainly popular in the US and Australia so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Easy Question Has to be the biggest waste of time on the net http://worldsbiggestpacman.com/ You can even create your own Pacman maze and connect it to the 25,000+ mazes already there

Difficult Question I'd create a site that integrates Skype video and allows Leaving Cert / Junior Cert access to webinars of maths, Irish grinds etc. Each student could chip in a euro per lesson to watch. Questions could be asked through chat or Skype. Teachers would be cherry picked to ensure some of the best.

We've picked our winners, just talking to boards HQ to get their feedback and we'll post up the details. Thanks to all who entered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Did ye decide to keep the prizes for yourselves and hope that we wouldnt notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

SeaSide wrote: »
    Did ye decide to keep the prizes for yourselves and hope that we wouldnt notice?

Nope. Winners have been notified

Advertisement