Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Pigeon.

• 07-06-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Yesterday I found a very sick pigeon. Its a racing pigeon (as its got rings). I know its been wild for some time as I've noticed it around the place for a couple of months. Yesterday it was so sick it could hardly walk let alone fly. I just walked right up to it and picked it up (with gloves on in case its diseased). It was pretty much skin and bone. Anyway I had an old dog crate which was suited so I popped it in there along with some seed and water.

I thought it would be dead this morning but, I was surprised to see it a lot more perky. walking around picking at the seed and drinking water. However the was a lot of runny pooh. So I guess it has an infection of some sort.

I used to keep pigeons when I was a kid so I know the racing pigeon owners don't want a bird like that back.

What I can't remember from my youth is the best treatments for a sick pigeon. I suppose I could go to the vet but that might be a bit expensive. I must be honest here I don't really wanna spend a lot on vet bills for a pigoen. Any know of something I could give the bird to help it fight infection? Also crossed my mind that I have no idea what to do with it if it survives, I guess it could make a safe place for it inside the shed, with trappers for it to go in and out (sort of a pet) anyway lets see if it recovers first.

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My guess would be a parasitic infection along the lines of coccidiosis. Ive PM'd you anyway with something that may be of interest to you.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Many vets would treat it for free. Phone a few & explain that you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Thanks Anniehoo. Pm sent.

Discodog, I guess your right. We are fairly friendly with our local vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Just thought I'd post a pic of the little guy. Not really doing much better. We know know its not a parasitic infection. Hooefully antibiotics will do the trick.

http://www.webtreatz.com/images/IMAG0049.jpg

Edit: Sorry making a dogs dinner of sizing the image down, pls just click the link thx.

Advertisement