Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pens

• 07-06-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

So when tommorow comes around, what kind of pen will you be sporting ?
    I am considering a fountain pen as I find it flows better and possibly less cramps unlike those hexagonal bic pens which put serious strain cause of their uncomfortable shape. I truly believe a good pen is key for timing and might just get that much extra out of you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

A normal black pen. I contemplated using fancy ones (even bought them) but decided not to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

As long as I have spares, I don't care what kind of pen I use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Oh I also use red to number things in the margin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Went down to easons this morning, stood and looked at the thousands of pens that were there.. Serious stuff this pen choosing business!

After about 15 minutes, I bought, a normal bic of each colour: blue, black, red and green.

Then, I bought about 5 of the cushion things that go on them, although I know that they are going to get really annoying!
    Also bought and inky black pen (€2.99 = bloody rip-off! :rolleyes: )

Had then pencil case in the wash an all! :cool:
    Good luck pen hunting etc! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I bought Paper Mate pens, as they have kind of a moulded end which makes them much more comfortable to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I bought those squishy grip things as well, but I only plan on using them when it starts to get painful writing and holding the pen. I think they'd be more beneficial then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I bought some blue bic biros and 2 different packs of papermate biros that both have all the 4 colours. I also got this fancy pen that I thought was blue but is actually black and it's not great to write with! Also got pencils, 2 pencil cases, highlighters, a pink (:P) calculator and some other stuff!

I got different types of pens so I'm not writing with the same shape all the time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please do not use red or green pens on your exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

spurious wrote: »

What about for numbering the questions in the margin, or is that a no-no too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Desire. wrote: »

No it's not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I usually throw the quotes in there in red , makes them stand out a bit more & the examiner can see he really did use alot of quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Years and years ago when I did my leaving I got pens which were promoted as being more comfortable to hold, they definitely took the edge off the pain in the final hour.

Personally, I would avoid fountain pens or inky pens unless you use them often, those things can smudge horribly and make a paper look terrible, or even worse, blot out some words.

I corrected a paper written in gold once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

I was cheap, I bought one expensive gel pen, then bought loadsa cheap-ass tesco gel pens and took out the ink stick things. So now I have an expensive pen but cheap ink refills :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 larkin1993

Whats wrong with green? I use it in maths to highlight answers and keep things from just all melding together. Will I lose marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

I bought an 11 euro pen... I kind of regret cause it's not an especially good pen, but I felt the leaving cert deserved the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

nd538616?$lg$

Three of these and a single Red and Blue just in case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

larkin1993 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with green? I use it in maths to highlight answers and keep things from just all melding together. Will I lose marks?

I think the chief examiner corrects in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

Going with a Blue Staedtler triplus ball M .With grip for added aerodynamic performance and control. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Hard to beat the bookies pen or the argos pens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

any suggestions of decent ink pen that wont blot like **** and will prevent me from leaning hard as hell on it? :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I bought (or I made my mam buy :P)
    10 black Staedtler fineliners
    6 black Pentel Superbs
    and a couple of Bics.

I'm very fussy about my pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I feel under-prepared.

I have two blue bic biros, and two red. And a "GIVE BLOOD" pen, if I get stuck.

If all goes to hell, I'll just write in highlighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

3 blue Bic pens
    1 red Bic pen
    1 HB pencil

Sorted. Only used 1 pen in my mocks and dont really expect this to be any different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Desire. wrote: »

In the left hand margin it's not so bad, but do not write anything, especially not numbers in red or green biro, in the right hand margin.

Red is the colour the initial corrector uses while correcting, then green is used by their advising examiner while checking.

There is no need for anyone to use anything other than bue and black pen and pencil (coloured pencil is no problem).

Of course, if you want to risk annoying the people correcting and totting up your exam, then go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

I find it very funny that ye are all talking about what pens ye are using. Seems like some of ye are putting stress on others about PENS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

C__ wrote: »
    I find it very funny that ye are all talking about what pens ye are using. Seems like some of ye are putting stress on others about PENS!!!!

Because everyone's freaking out over the smallest details right now. Of course pens would come into it.
    Actually, I've had the same conversation over pencils which is so much worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Oh, can't use green either? :confused:

I write in black, would it be a good idea or pointless to put my quotes in blue? I was going to put my quotes in green but apparently can't do that either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Looking on here now,
    Presuming someone else will have a spare to lend to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Pens are important. Think we should have a day of celebration for pens in exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

My weapon of choice for tomorrow.

Advertisement