Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

My weapon of choice for tomorrow.

I use the same one but in a stylish black ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Parker-Jotter-Steel-Ball-Pen15128.jpg

Thing of beauty, never lets me down <3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

C__ wrote: »
    I find it very funny that ye are all talking about what pens ye are using. Seems like some of ye are putting stress on others about PENS!!!!

I started a thread last year when doing my Leaving Cert about which highlighter was best :o

Make sure you go out lots during the summer to make up for LC strangeness :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

i plan on doing the exams with the same pen(refillable)...and then keep them.....and perhaps one day brownlad.jr will use them too..........i have one question.... do pens expire?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

LOL
    i thought i was underprepared!
    i have:
    4 blue supreme pens
    2 red supreme pens
    2 black papermates
    1 blue velocity gel bic
    1 blue uniball
    1 green faber castel highlighter
    1 blue faber castel highlighter

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I forgot to say I have my trusty blue and yellow DCU highlighter! Just to keep my mind focused on what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Aoifums wrote: »
    I forgot to say I have my trusty blue and yellow DCU highlighter! Just to keep my mind focused on what I need.

mine ran out...but i still have my UCD one :P ...The BETTER one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I started a thread last year when doing my Leaving Cert about which highlighter was best :o

That would be a faber castel highlighter, preferably in yellow! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Do the people not find that writing the quotes in a different colour becomes rather wastefuf of their time? I'll need every second I can get, particularly in Englsih. Woul'dn't dare throw away time changing pens, particularly if I plan on quoting a lot?

As for pens I'm using a Faber-Castell Polyball M. Found it in a shop and thought it looked cool! Got a really fancy pen of the school for being a Mentor for the first years but it's actually quite heavy as far as pens go. Decided against using it because of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

bal point
    dont smuge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

1 blue parker that never fails :D
    black-jotter-parker-pen.jpg
    1 ordinary black BIC pen
    3 highlighters (green,yellow,pink:D)

My english teacher said to not use red or green pen as exams are corrected in these colours, and to not use pencils as they fade ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I've heard that red pens are not allowed because that's what the initial corrector uses to mark your script.
    And that green are not allowed because that's what the second corrector (If you get re-marked) uses to correct your script.

Is it true that you cant use your normal pencil case? You have to use a clear plastic bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junai_Dahma

Only sleek German design for me, Staedtler all the way!
    But mainly because thats what my mum bought
    Half used so the ink flow more quickly than in a brand new pen....Many of them mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Bring in a few old pens too that you're used to writing with just in case it turns out that you hate the new ones, especially for an exam that is essay based :p

I did the lc last year and I took in about 10-15 pens, 3 calculators :pac:
    I'm a freak though. I was having bad feelings about not only my first calculator breaking down but also the second :P

The new stationary is great though haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That would be a faber castel highlighter, preferably in yellow! :P

Definitely (in my opinion :P ) the yellow Stabilo Boss. Non-yellow colours seem to leave a smudge when you finish highlighting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

I have completely forgotten to buy pens. I have one red, one blue, one pencil, 7 highlighters.

I am doomed to write in green highlighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grandfinale

Well this certaintly is getting a lot of attention so I think it's safe to say that if you don't have the right pen , YOU WILL FAIL. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Black Uni Ball and realised that i've made a big error.

Been using these pens all since 5th year, they are inky as i am left handed and my writing was horrible with biros. As i didn't have to worry about smudging. Now using a inky pen has be writing better. However i never write double sided on A4 as it goes through and looks messy.

Just realised for the booklet tomorrow i may have to wait or blow on the page before i turn it over and write. Saying that, i won't be writing on the other side, I'll be writing on a whole new page.

Would i be able to do it on A4 and hand it up via a booklet ? Or revert to a biro after two years of getting used to an Ink pen.

I know it's stupid, but my study is done, I'm relaxing this evening and it's the minor pieces I'm putting in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Papermate > all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

The fancy pen with my name on it I got at graduation...I hope it's not inkless when I try use it for the first time in the morning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

My weapon of choice for tomorrow.
    What's the mileage on one of them bad boys?
    Im_EoinD wrote: »
    Papermate > all
    BIC> all
    Unless it's the Papermate F, that in black just glides like a dream. unfourtantly I've run out of them and dont know where to get um :/

Artilery for tomorrow:
    4 BIC Black
    2 BIC Red
    1 Faber Castle HB Pencil
    1 Faber Castle Pencil Sharpener
    1 Faber Castle Eraser
    1 30 Ruler.
    2 Casio Calculators
    1 Maths set.

(that's what's going in my bag, and satying there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Do the people not find that writing the quotes in a different colour becomes rather wastefuf of their time? I'll need every second I can get, particularly in Englsih. Woul'dn't dare throw away time changing pens, particularly if I plan on quoting a lot?

not if you're ambidextrous ;)

As for the equipment jetstream pens all the way, no smudging ever and finely tipped for maximum performance , doesn't hurt the hand, allowing continued free movement & excellence in penmanship, in the last 15 minutes when it really counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

BIC are the best to write with for the first 2 pages but after that I get a little indent in my middle finger..... I bought a few of them 'grips'. They are annoying me a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

flyaway. wrote: »
    Oh, can't use green either? :confused:

I write in black, would it be a good idea or pointless to put my quotes in blue? I was going to put my quotes in green but apparently can't do that either!

Black with blue quotes is fine, though I'm sure any corrector will recognise a quote without the different colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Definitely (in my opinion :P ) the yellow Stabilo Boss. Non-yellow colours seem to leave a smudge when you finish highlighting :p

Nope..! That's too inky and they tend to leak..! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I have the incredibly attractive problem of sweaty hands, a problem which is made ten times worse under exam pressure.
    So I HAVE to have the grips, I can usually write fine, but I know I'll be writing at a speed of Mach 5 so my hand will probably keep slipping.

Doesn't help either that my writing stopped improving in 3rd class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

C__ wrote: »
    I find it very funny that ye are all talking about what pens ye are using. Seems like some of ye are putting stress on others about PENS!!!!
    People tend to obsess about the smallest things to take their mind off the moment of truth.

See below! :D
    Just as well you 'fessed up before I outed you! :p

Mind you, I have never encountered anyone as stationary obsessed in my life!!

Was it last year someone started a big argument about the best type of eraser as well? :rolleyes:

Seeing as we're focusing on pens, some general advice:

1) Don't use red or green. These colours are used by the initial and supervising examiners, and you are only making their lives more difficult.

Besides, constantly changing pens is wasteful of time and rather than impressing the examiner, it will, as mentioned by several people in the thread already, just annoy them.

2) Bring a couple of spare pens.

3) If you went out and bought a lovely new pen over the last couple of days, great. If you're not used to writing with it though make sure to bring in an old reliable as well, just in case it starts to irritate you.

4) Sometimes swapping pens with slightly different shape / grip once or twice during the exam can help if your hand is starting to cramp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Time to take red pens outta the artilery so!..

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Defo using BIC's. . .they seem to have developed an immunity to the pen diarrhea illness that is so common among the VISIBLE and PAPERMATE pens. . .

• Advertisement

Just as well you 'fessed up before I outed you! :p

Mind you, I have never encountered anyone as stationary obsessed in my life!!

Was it last year someone started a big argument about the best type of eraser as well? :rolleyes:

Guilty :o

Well the eraser thread wasn't me, as I hate writing in pencil - they're hard to see I imagine the examiner would get a headache trying to correct words written in pencil (except for drawings and graphs, they're fine to do in pencil obviously).

I may have also started (around this time last year) a Black pen vs. Blue Pen thread, and I don't think I had actually started it but in addition to the highlighter thread earlier in the year, I may have considered starting a best refill pad thread. :o

The LC does strange things to you. I had a dream there last week that I was walking into French but I didn't know anything.

And the stationery obsession never goes away, even now I'm like "Oh there's an Easons" but then realise it's summer holidays and that I'll be shipped off to the madhouse any day now.

Advertisement