Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pens

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

A thread dedicated to pens, wow, and to think the morning of my first exam I didn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

spurious wrote: »
    In the left hand margin it's not so bad, but do not write anything, especially not numbers in red or green biro, in the right hand margin.

Red is the colour the initial corrector uses while correcting, then green is used by their advising examiner while checking.

There is no need for anyone to use anything other than bue and black pen and pencil (coloured pencil is no problem).

Of course, if you want to risk annoying the people correcting and totting up your exam, then go ahead.

I will never forget that moment last year when I opened up my maths paper to find: red, green, blue and black pen on my paper - I've never been so glad that I do maths in pencil..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

I will never forget that moment last year when I opened up my maths paper to find: red, green, blue and black pen on my paper - I've never been so glad that I do maths in pencil..

what are you doing posting at 20 to 5 in the morning?!!!!!!! in a thread about PENS of all things!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Sorry like but I think you need to get a life or at least proper sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Yours must have been corrected by everyone!:eek: If you don't mind me asking..was it marked differently every time? Did each give you a different grade?

MikeHough wrote: »
    what are you doing posting at 20 to 5 in the morning?!!!!!!! in a thread about PENS of all things!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

It's not as easy for some people to sleep all night..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

MikeHough wrote: »

Or a proper job, ha, was on a break during a night shift, thought I'd check this rather than start texting people, I don't think they'd appreciate them ... surprisingly enough :rolleyes:
    _meehan_ wrote: »
    Yours must have been corrected by everyone!:eek: If you don't mind me asking..was it marked differently every time? Did each give you a different grade?

It's not as easy for some people to sleep all night..

Yes! I couldn't believe it - I think it was one of those papers that are used as the papers that set the original marking scheme or something because all I could see was my grade going down and down with each recheck. Start result: B1, end result: C1 (which I was originally happy with the day I got my results, thought I might have scraped a B3, but that was being optimistic) But sure what can you do - missed out on those points but still got my course so I wasn't too bothered, funny how things work out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

i heard that when a person write with black pen the examiners consider this answer as a good looking and higher standard than a blue pen

angela1711 wrote: »
    i heard that when a person write with black pen the examiners consider this answer as a good looking and higher standard than a blue pen

I've never heard this, tbh. Surely if this were the case, then all teachers would be telling their students to write with black pens? All of my LC teachers have corrected exams, and they never mentioned anything about black vs blue.

ye i know same in my school
    i think i was watching some youtube video about LC tips etc. and the girl there said that her mother has a friend who corrects the exams or work in department of education or something as she told her that black pens look better
    anyway they couldn't deduct marks because of pen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Black pens are easier to read and attract an examiner's interest for longer. That is all. It shouldn't affect your marks.

It would be silly thing to lose marks over anyway! If it was a big issue, we'd all have been told to have black pens before the exams.:P

• Advertisement

ye none will loose the marks for a pen but it might only look better in examiner eyes
    if the answer is correct they must give u a marks even if you will write every letter in different colour pen :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ye i know same in my school
    i think i was watching some youtube video about LC tips etc. and the girl there said that her mother has a friend who corrects the exams or work in department of education or something as she told her that black pens look better
    anyway they couldn't deduct marks because of pen :D
    Youtube video of girl talking about a friend of her mother's who does something or other and may or may not have expressed a personal opinion which said girl may or may not have picked up correctly ...

See the problem here? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I met a girl once who sat on the same chair in a cinema as the niece of someone who was in the SEC building once. She said no bother do your exam in red or green.*

*may not be true

Write your exam answers in blue or black pen/biro.
    Do not use red or green.
    Throw away the Tipp-ex and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

My mam's friend corrects papers every year. She said it makes her happy to open a paper that looks neat i.e numbers and headings in red and writing in blue or black but obv. pen colour never affects the final grade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Geo10 wrote: »
    My mam's friend corrects papers every year. She said it makes her happy to open a paper that looks neat i.e numbers and headings in red and writing in blue or black but obv. pen colour never affects the final grade.

I corrected for years.

Pen colour severely pisses off examiners if they are hunting through green scrawls from candidates to find things written by advising examiners, or totting up marks which they have written in red and trying to distinguish them from numbers written by candidates (and yes, some people bizarrely number their questions on the right) but go ahead, take your chances if you would rather ignore the instruction to write in black or blue, like grown ups do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

spurious wrote: »
    I corrected for years.

Pen colour severely pisses off examiners if they are hunting through green scrawls from candidates to find things written by advising examiners, or totting up marks which they have written in red and trying to distinguish them from numbers written by candidates (and yes, some people bizarrely number their questions on the right) but go ahead, take your chances if you would rather ignore the instruction to write in black or blue, like grown ups do.

No, I wouldn't be taking my chances. I am 100% certain it'll look better and not affect my final grade. My teachers also say numbers and headings always, always, always should be in red or at least not the same colour as what you're writing your answers in. Though I know not doing so wouldn't affect my grade I just don't like making my exams one big scrawly black mess :):D:)

My dad only corrects papers once every few years but he told me at the end of the day it wouldn't affect your grade if you wrote with a crayon (as long as the examiner can actually read it of course!!)

Advertisement