Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baths during pregnancy

Options
  • 07-06-2011 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

I know I read before that baths during pregnancy aren't good for you, but I can't remember why. I did a bit of googling and it just says baths are okay, but not to have them too hot, but it doesn't say why not too hot. I had a bath last night that was a little on the hot side, but too delicious to get out of :o and I'm worried I may have boiled the baby :o

Does anyone know why baths aren't good during pregnancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

It's about blood pressure - the heat makes your bp drop. This may not be good when you're preg b/c it can lead to fainting if it goes too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

thank you so much....so it's nothing about heating up the amniotic fluid or anything?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I would imagine your internal bits don't heat up that much regardless of the bath, but, sure don't sit in boiling water too long just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

From what I remember reading lately a bath that's too hot can increase internal body temp which can lead to possible miscarraige.

Double check with a nurse or doctor if you can't find anything else online about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

From a practical point of view as well baths aren't as ideal as showers. The ever expanding bump and shift in your centre of gravity can make getting out of the bath quite a challenge. At the very least I'd invest in a non-slip bath mat and don't have a bath whilst on your own in the house, just in case you did slip or get into some difficulty! That is what I did anyways :)

Water is great though for relieving aches and pains of pregnancy as the bouyancy takes a lot of the weight off.... as long as it is warm and not piping hot you should be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had baths nearly every day during pregnancy mostly as they are good pain relief,once they are not too hot you are fine.
    I only used baby bubble bath while pregnant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep baths are fantastic for getting rid of those aches and pains. I was told luke warm water and no bath bubbles or salts. I got an anti slip mat after almost slipping whilst getting out once and as a precaution I never took one whilst home alone.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd second the advice saying not to have one alone, if possible. My hubby usually comes in and gives me a hand out when I'm in the bath, whatever way the baby moves when I'm in the bath makes it more difficult to get out! :o Also another thing I found handy was to fill the bath/run the shower slightly cooler than I'd normally take it and then get in, you can always add more hot water once you're in. I've started taking showers and baths much cooler than I used to, probably because I'm roasting all the time now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

hot baths make stretch marks worse, so I've heard...I had a bath every night in my last pregnancy (with my toddler) and my stretch marks are shocking but imo it was worth it!

:eek: I didn't know it could cause miscarriage....though I felt movement last night and this morning so I've hopefully dodged that bullet...but will definitely be more mindful in future.

What is a definition of too hot? When you go ''ooh oooh aaahh' trying to get in it? Are you supposed to just slink comfortably in? I can't imagine not having a bath for the rest of the pregnancy, they're my saving grace and bit of sanctuary...and they are soooooooo relaxing.

Why can't you use bubbles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Think the miscarriage risk is just in the first trimester, and only if its almost unbearably hot (accompanied by a stiff gin if the old wives tale is to be believed)

Too much synthetic smelly stuff can irritate your lady bits which are more prone to fungal infections during pregnancy. I always use natural essential oils and cocoa butter which should be ok but do make the bath quite slippy so be careful getting out!

Oh blimey lol Jees we can't even have a nice bubbly bath in peace ey? :D

I've been using a Dove one, which I hope is okay because it smells lush :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

From personal experience a very hot bath can make you a bit faint so maybe just keep the temprature down ? I love a really hot bath , as in scalded red skin hot so obviously im not doing that :D but I'm still enjoying the odd soak . I just make sure my boyfriend is at home because getting in or out of the bath and slipping would be a nigtmare . Oh a side note while in early labour I found a bath to be amazing pain relief on my last before my waters broke it really took the edge off contractions .

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

They do say not to bath after your waters break, as there is risk of infection, not sure if that's true, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

SarahJ wrote: »
    They do say not to bath after your waters break, as there is risk of infection, not sure if that's true, anyone know?

Not 100% sure, but have heard the same- higher risk of infection from a bath after waters have broken, but a shower is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimouse

I understand that hot baths, jacuzzis, etc are not advisable because of the chance of raising your body's core temperature which can lead to spina bifida.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

Actually I've heard this too :confused: My waters didnt break themselves so I couldnt be sure , but they also say that you should go to hospital straight away if your waters break anyway .

Yeah, I've heard that about the waters breaking too. I think it's because the plug, so to speak lol is gone and water can get to the uterus?

But don't go on what I say, I thought I boiled my baby :o

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

:eek: I didn't know it could cause miscarriage....though I felt movement last night and this morning so I've hopefully dodged that bullet...but will definitely be more mindful in future.

What is a definition of too hot? When you go ''ooh oooh aaahh' trying to get in it? Are you supposed to just slink comfortably in? I can't imagine not having a bath for the rest of the pregnancy, they're my saving grace and bit of sanctuary...and they are soooooooo relaxing.

Why can't you use bubbles?

im very early in my pregnancy but i love hot baths so i looked into it and they say you have to check it with your elbow like you would for a baby and if its too hot for your elbow its too hot for a pregnant you! elbow hot isnt very hot but its ok. better than no bath!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Thankfully there is no increased risk of infection according to the latest evidence. In Drogheda/Cavan Midwife Led Units you can use the labour pool with or without the waters intact and it's the same in the UK and for waterbirths in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Thankfully there is no increased risk of infection according to the latest evidence. In Drogheda/Cavan Midwife Led Units you can use the labour pool with or without the waters intact and it's the same in the UK and for waterbirths in Northern Ireland.

Is a labour pool not a bit different to a bath though? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hugely different when it comes to being about to move about :D and actually get comfortable. Same guidelines apply for using the bath in most units (if they are following current evidence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

anonimouse wrote: »
    I understand that hot baths, jacuzzis, etc are not advisable because of the chance of raising your body's core temperature which can lead to spina bifida.

I'd never heard that before, folic acid and luke warm baths it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My water's broke and when I called the hospital they told me not to have a bath due to infection.

Speaking to someone who had a transfer after IVF, she was told not to have any baths in the two weeks between the transfer and the pregnancy test 2 weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

b743k wrote: »
    I'd never heard that before, folic acid and luke warm baths it is.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Hot baths are ok. Jacuzzis are not. Jaccizzis are breeding grounds for bacteria because of multiple users in a hot breeding environment. A hot bath you run for yourself at home does not have any risk of cross contamination. So kick back in a bath with a good book and relax :)

I thought part of the reason for advising against hot baths is it could cause you to faint especially if you have low blood pressure. Personally speaking hot baths always make me feel queasy and light headed. When pregnant I had lukewarm ones.

Interesting SanFran07 that in uk you can take a bath after waters have broken. There's a lot of conflicting advice between UK NHS and Ireland HSE. The use of ibuprofen when breastfeeding is one i came across. Ok in UK but not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'm 30 weeks & haven't had a bath throughout. I am however hoping to have a bath or two when contractions start in the hopes of holding off going to the hospital. Just wondering would you know if you're waters go when you're in the bath? I'm on my first & that's always worried me a bit in case I don't realise it. I presume there's a sensation that accompanies it. Have also been thinking of it every time I go to aquafit, in case I don't cop that they've gone or have been leaking.

Oral Slang mine broke at home as I was bending over to plug something out! I actually heard a pop, there was a few seconds before anything happened and then I saw the water literally cascade out of me. Believe me it's not a trickle! Its not the gush the films lead you believe as you can be leaking for quite a while. It's a very strange sensation. My bump was considerably smaller and lopsided once they went.

I'd imagine even if you're in the bath you'd know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Oral Slang mine broke at home as I was bending over to plug something out! I actually heard a pop, there was a few seconds before anything happened and then I saw the water literally cascade out of me. Believe me it's not a trickle! Its not the gush the films lead you believe as you can be leaking for quite a while. It's a very strange sensation. My bump was considerably smaller and lopsided once they went.

I'd imagine even if you're in the bath you'd know.

Ah cool, thought as much, but it has been playing on my mind, so thought I'd double check.

• Advertisement

oooh this thread again...I've been bathing all the way through this pregnancy since posting this, no problems yet, though I have turned down the temp on them a little bit since.

I think if my waters broke while in the bath i'd probably die :eek: :D

Advertisement