Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony E reader or Kindle

Options
  • 07-06-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

If one was reading lots of free pdfs etc, like academic ones, which reader gives the least amount of hassle? I've heard horror stories about people's legally sourced but free materials being rejected by their readers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Ive never used a kindle but i have one of the early sony readers and i love it. They're actually a little unnatural to read at first but once you get going they're great.

No issues with PDF's on it but the wikipedia page for each model will tell you what formats they use (i think .epub or something is the main one)

But yeh, mines an old version so they're probably even better now but i really enjoy it and have had no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pink-mist

just bought the new kindle. You basically just plug it in, and drag over your pdf's and .mobi files on to it. NO hassle what so ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have a Sony PRS-505, and I really like it - but if it were to break and I had to buy a new eReader in the morning, I'd probably go for a Kindle because it's that bit easier to get books for it. The Sony can display PDFs, but I find it really really slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

I have the sony 505 as well and compared to the new kindle it is damn slow at turning pages, however for pdfs it does reflow the text very well (for most pdfs at least)

Lad in work has the kindle and said when he zooms in on a pdf it doesn't reflow, it just makes the text bigger and you have to scroll around the page to see it all. Not sure if that's with all pdfs or just the few he tried but that would drive me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

I have a sony and I use Calibre software instead of the Sony library. It doesn't complain about drm and I've never had a problem with formats. Easy to convert files anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ive the new pocket version, I got it for Christmas and I find its great. I would even pick it over the kindle as as much much smaller and more convenient. Battery life is astonishingly good too.

kindle-vs-sony-prs350-size.jpg

Just an idea of size comparison

Advertisement