Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back-up water supply if mains failed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Yorky wrote: »
    In the event of a disruption to the mains water supply, how can stored rainwater be purified to drinking-water standards without chemicals?

This gadget was featured in the Irish Times recently http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...297901723.html

Has anyone bought one

Cant view that without having a sub to the paper.

Can you post a pic/screen shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Reckon I'll stick with boiling the water and leaving it cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Me too. Just seems a bit 'meh' to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

It claims to get rid of faecal coliforms, by filtering it to 0.01 microns. The test to check for coliforms is carried out on 0.45 micron papers and requires a vacuum pump to draw the water through it.

Hence the reason it is designed as a straw, you need to suck like a f****r to get the water, whcih probably defeats the purpose of getting it in the first place.

As mentioned already, boil the water, let it cool, there is no better solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement