Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Timer in Munich

• 07-06-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Staying there for 5 days next week.

Looking to to do a lot of sightseeing/walking about.

Any suggestions?

Single,male,25 and travelling on my own so looking for a bit of nightlife too?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Having been there a while back a few suggestions would be to go see the BMW Museum and maybe get a factory tour in if possible. The Bundesliga is now over for the summer so I don't know if Bayern Munich have anything happening, if they do it is worth checking out.

There is an area called Kultfabric near the Ostabahnhof which is full of bars and clubs and was busy when I was there, however it is quite popular so might be worth checking out.

Munich is a nice city and worth visiting, if I ever go back it will be for Oktoberfest which would be a blast I reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Have a few beers and watch the scenery in the English Garden.

http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/Sightseeing/Attractions/308378/englishgarden.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id recomend staying in the Euro Youth Hostel. Located close to train station and has a busy bar so handy for meeting people. Check out the surfers in the park too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Some ideas for the solo traveller so!

was thinking about this for a while and something like a hostel is great for meeting people if youre on your own. Euro Youth and Wombats are there beside each other and have lively bars with friendly backpackers. even if you stay in a hotel, nip round to the hostels and have the crack there! They dont care if you stay there or not. Sure one night before getting the night train to Budapest I enjoyed a night in the Euro Youth including a mad jaegermeister promotion!!

Theres a bike tour of the city ran by "Mikes Bike tours" and like that, its a pretty social gathering and is as much a fun spin around the city as an informative one.
    (its ran by an american with witty US/ UK/ Irish tour guides rather than dry arsed german-style, over elaborate, rather boring tour guides)

The Hofbrauhaus beer hall. If you squish in beside some foreign tourists you'll have the best of crack on your own!! Beer halls have only massive benches so no matter if youre there on your own or with a few freiends, you'll always have to share a table - which is actually good as you never know what the crack will be with your neighbours.

an organised "Pub Crawl" might also be something for the solo traveller. Personally I amnt a fan of them, but you do get to go on the lash with a group of foreigners and see a lot of the city in the process.

Also - an auld day trip up the mountains can be a joy if you are on your own. Go down to somewhere like Garmish and get a cable car up one mountain - hike for the day and then come own on a different one. Without a partner you can enjoy the peace and quiet!! Just be sure to bring water and have reasonably robust sporty type shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Cheers.

Booked myself into Euro Hostel - can anyone give me exact directions how to get their via public transport from the airport? How long aboutish should it take?

• Advertisement

takes 35 to 40 min from the airport to the main station(hauptbahnhof) on the suburban train. Any train brings you there from the airport and they go every 10 mins.

the euro youth is a 2 min walk from the Hauptbahnhof. If you get to the main hall where the long distance trains go from, theres an exit by platform 11 at the starbucks. Go out that, across the road/ tram tracks, the immediately left by all the kebabs, and then right at the italian restaurant.
    Easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

its very clear form the directions on their website too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Cheers.

What's the best way of seeing Dachau? Does the hostel do organised tours? Never being to a concentration camp before - not sure what the best way is to ask about it considering it is a delicate subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Cheers.

What's the best way of seeing Dachau? Does the hostel do organised tours? Never being to a concentration camp before - not sure what the best way is to ask about it considering it is a delicate subject?

It's on the U-Bahn AFAIR. Just take the regular public transport there. It will be listed as KZ Dachau I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

The Deutsches museum is excellent, you could easily spend a full day on it alone. Also if you're into science the Siemens museum is very good.

• Advertisement

Cheers.

Theres no need to waste your cash on an organised tour. Theres a munich XXL Day ticket (i.e. more than the city centre but not quite as far as the airport) and it does you on the S2 to Dachau station which runs every 20 mins and then theres a local bus "Dachau KZ" that connects which brings you the rest of the way.

Once youre there the visitor centre is free and tours only 3 Euro.
    Heres the details (Noting its closed altogether on a Monday like most museums)
    http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/tours_single_visitors.html

If you ask me the Documentation centre in Nuremburg at the Nazi marching grounds might be an alternative as its a day out in a nice town and a bit of history to boot.
    http://www.museums.nuremberg.de/documentation-centre/index.html
    To get there you can use a Bayern Ticket which is valid after 9am (or all day at weekends) for 20 Euro which also covers public transport in Munich and Nurnemberg.

And staying in munich, if you want you can also get a tour of the Nazi sites in the city with a bit of the history explained on one of the 3rd reich tours. There'll be info on leaflets in the Hostel or across the road in the city tourist info office in the station.
    Heres one for example.
    http://www.radiusmunich.com/hitler-a-third-reich-tour.html

Advertisement