Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superannuation

Options
  • 07-06-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

So i've been back home from Sydney bout 2 years now, and heard an ad in the car about retrieving my super-annuation. the companies taxback.com
    To be honest I hadn't expected to ever this back or hadnt even thought about it, but i thought i might aswell give it a shot.

Has anyone had any experience with taxback.com on the superannuation side of things??
    I'd say i earned about 9k dollars while over there, any idea how much my superannuation may have added upto?

Cheers in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can apply yourself - there has been many threads on it, I think FreeAndEasy wrote a couple of well documented posts on it if you want to search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Pretty straightforward to claim it back no need to go through a middle man.

Id say get onto the Department on Immi first and ask them to send you a letter stating when you left the country. You will prob need this to claim the super back.

Once you have the letter, get it stamped/signed by a Garda, also photocopy the back page of your passport and get that signed. IF you have a visa stamp in your passport (you might not if you had an E-visa) then get that photocopied and stamped too. 3

Make sure all the above are eligible.

Most funds DONT have the withdrawal forms on their websites so you'll have to request it. Ring them/Email them for this.

When you have the withdrawal form fill out the 'DASP' (departing australia superannuation payment) part of it and attach all the docs mentioned in the last paragraph. Forms are usually straightforward.

Send it to them and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

You also have to pay an exit tax of 35%. Sorry to rain on your parade :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Correct, I should have mentioned that.

Robbing bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 silverlight

If a super account is inactive for 5 years the super fund hands it over to the Australian Tax Office, otherwise it would be gobbled up in fees. In this case I would recommend a middle man to deal with that:<snip>

Mod Sorry for someone who less than 10 posts - no links, esp on old threads, actually that's twice you have done this and other posts in forum pimping this website
    Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Dhoff

Hi

I recently sent my application for my super refund and then received this email.

Unfortunately your account with AustSafe Super is closed and an amount of $2216.78 was rolled over to the Commissioner of Taxation on 14/10/2011 therefore you will need to contact the Australian Taxation Office.

Has anyone ever had this problem before and know where on the Australian Taxation website I go. There is a maze of links and it is impossible to find on the site. Please help as I dont want to have to pay some agency half the cash for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Is it 35% they take?
    I read somewhere it was 50% hopefully what i read was wrong!
    Apparently takes 2-3 months to process?

35% is about right

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Pretty straightforward to claim it back no need to go through a middle man.

Once you have the letter, get it stamped/signed by a Garda, also photocopy the back page of your passport and get that signed. IF you have a visa stamp in your passport (you might not if you had an E-visa) then get that photocopied and stamped too.

I'm trying to get my super back at the moment and I tried to get some things signed and stamped by a Garda, but I was told they don't do this any more. So I went to the Embassy to get it done there. The embassy address and phone number is...

7th Floor, Fitzwilton House, Wilton Terrace, Dublin 2
    Telephone: +353 1 664 5300

• Advertisement
Advertisement