Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Suits

• 07-06-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a suit, would it be better to buy a bespoke one or just buy one thats already made?

Noticed a site called Suit Co, they have two shops in Dublin, anyone shopped there yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Go bespoke if you have the money obviously but it will set you back quite a bit.

A better option for most (myself included) is to purchase a good off the rack suit and take it to a tailor you trust or one which has been recommended to you and have it altered to give as good a fit as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Just love the suits out of Bertoni and i think they are reasonably priced for the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I got a great off the peg (rack) Calvin Klein suit a few years ago in Mens Warehouse in Boston, still going strong too, so if I can find something like that over here I will be laughing, tis probably not going to happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭big_show

I was in the Suit Co. on O'Connell street in Dublin yesterday.

i was lucky enough to walk in when it was the first day of their sale.

Got a suit reduced from €300 to €129.
    2 Shirts at half price (€60 down to €30)
    and 2 ties (€30 to €15)

So it's worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

There's not much true bespoke in Ireland. There's a growing market in made-to-measure, yes, but of varying quality.

If you don't often have cause to wear a suit then a decent quality off the peg suit plus a decent tailor to make all necessary adjustments would do you just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Abrahams tailors of South Anne Street off Grafton Street got a big write-up in The Irish Times men's magazine last week. The bespoke suit the journalist had made for him (nice job if you can get it) cost an extremely reasonable €850. That's down €300 since this time last year on foot of the economic downturn. Indeed, €1000 was always the minimum price for decent bespoke in any established tailors, so this is a remarkable turnaround. A total of three appointments is generally needed during the tailoring process to ensure the best fit, which takes about a month.

Magee of Arnotts also do bespoke, to my surprise, starting at €500 per suit, but one suspects they have rather more conservative tastes.

If there is one factor to counter the current downward trend in suit prices, it is the uphill trajectory of world wool prices, which have rocketed in the past year and is now affecting the price of suits globally. Get in while the going's good!

I think I'll give Abrahams a whirl soon, depending on what fabrics they have. It's just impossible to buy a high quality suit for slim chaps like me. It's Topman or nothing, alas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Deflector wrote: »
    Abrahams tailors of South Anne Street off Grafton Street got a big write-up in The Irish Times men's magazine last week. The bespoke suit the journalist had made for him (nice job if you can get it) cost an extremely reasonable €850. That's down €300 since this time last year on foot of the economic downturn. Indeed, €1000 was always the minimum price for decent bespoke in any established tailors, so this is a remarkable turnaround. A total of three appointments is generally needed during the tailoring process to ensure the best fit, which takes about a month.

Magee of Arnotts also do bespoke, to my surprise, starting at €500 per suit, but one suspects they have rather more conservative tastes.

If there is one factor to counter the current downward trend in suit prices, it is the uphill trajectory of world wool prices, which have rocketed in the past year and is now affecting the price of suits globally. Get in while the going's good!

I think I'll give Abrahams a whirl soon, depending on what fabrics they have. It's just impossible to buy a high quality suit for slim chaps like me. It's Topman or nothing, alas.
    Try Gibson for off the rack.

Didn't realise Abrahams still did bespoke, I thought they'd done what most places like Copelands etc did, stock bases and alter them to fit. I'm surprised they can do it for that kind of money tbh, when much larger companys than them can't do it economically. That's why they do "made to measure" rather than true bespoke... Very skeptical that Magees are doing actual bespoke tbh too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

There is simply no way that this is true bespoke for €500.

Made to measure, certainly. But bespoke? Not a chance.

Apologies if that seems rather abrupt but it's just not feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

tan11ie wrote: »
    Just love the suits out of Bertoni and i think they are reasonably priced for the quality.

Seconded, Lee in St Stephens Green store (Neon) will look after you and they will get tailoring organised.
    I bought my Bertoni wedding suits there, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Yes I doubt Magee do true bespoke either - I suspect it's made to measure at that sort of price.

Abrahams do seem to engage in true bespoke (the journalist did ignorantly interchange 'bespoke' with 'made to measure') from what I can gather of their website - I'd be interested to get a confirmation on that.

Also can't find a supplier of Gibson suits here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yes I doubt Magee do true bespoke either - I suspect it's made to measure at that sort of price.

Abrahams do seem to engage in true bespoke (the journalist did ignorantly interchange 'bespoke' with 'made to measure') from what I can gather of their website - I'd be interested to get a confirmation on that.

Also can't find a supplier of Gibson suits here.
    Penthouse in the Jervis Centre, upstairs beside Forever 21 stock Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

big_show wrote: »
    I was in the Suit Co. on O'Connell street in Dublin yesterday.

i was lucky enough to walk in when it was the first day of their sale.

Got a suit reduced from €300 to €129.
    2 Shirts at half price (€60 down to €30)
    and 2 ties (€30 to €15)

So it's worth a look.

They were marking them down again today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Managed to get a great off the peg Remus Uomo suit in Tony Connollys in Limerick, they had a sale on (possibly still on) with 20% off suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

There are 5 or 6 bespoke tailors in Dublin still working. Most of them will do a two-piece around the same price as Abrahams, which is incredibly reasonable compared to the same elsewhere in the UK or EU for instance.

Part of buying a suit though is knowing what you're asking for. Its up to you to do a little research on cloth, cut, fit and styling as well as the construction techniques used in making your suit.

You can get a made-to-measure fully canvassed suit and a bespoke half-canvass/fused suit but its up to you to know what you're asking for and paying for.

A few pointers,

go for the heaviest worsted wool (100% wool) they have, 14oz or 16oz per metre. A lighter fabric (8/9oz per metre) will cost more and last half as long, it will also crease like the blazes and not hang right on your frame.

be prepared to talk about what you'd like, and bring a photo of what you're looking for, but not to the point of pissing off a professional. If you've a 60" waist there's no one on earth who can make you look thin.

ask if the tailor will do cut make and trim and buy some cloth from the mills directly (tailors pay a huge mark-up to the extablished cloth merchants), this will work very well with Donegal tweed for example. You'll need 3m for a two-piece, more if it has a check.

do get an extra pair of trousers and wear them alternately so that they fade at the same rate as the jacket. An extra pair of trousers will drastically increase the life of the suit.

and finally well wear!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Old thread, please don't drag up old, resovled threads, thanks.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement