Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I allowed bring food into the Leaving Cert?

• 07-06-2011 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

The Leaving Cert is starting tomorrow, and I'm just wondering if we're allowed bring a little snack into the exam with us?
    I get really embarrassed if my tummy rumbles, so I NEED to bring food with me!

Does anyone know if you're allowed?
    Thanks!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Yes.... but nothing that would make too much noise... or smell too much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

One thing to note though - your school might have their own rules on this, so double-check with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Generally, it's fine to bring in sandwiches and a drink, something that's quiet. Don't bring in crisps, bagged sweets, or a three course meal. That would put off the other students,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I did the leaving cert food was completely banned unless you were diabetic or something. Check with your school/ exam supervisor before you make any lunch plans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Most schools allow you to bring in food. As previous people have said, nothing too noisy -- no bags of Tayto, for example.

Your tummy shouldn't be rumbling in the exam, though. Have a good breakfast (don't let your parents cook you a big fry-up, which seems to be some sort of weird tradition); have some cereal, toast, etc. Just what you'd normally have.

If you have an exam in the afternoon, have a healthy filling lunch, even if you're trying to get some last-minute study in.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Someone I know brought in a chicken fillet roll,packet of crisps and a drink.

He spent the first twenty minutes eating before he even looked at the paper.

I lawled at his dopeyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Ok I have a 1lt bottle of volvic water(€1 in spar), maybe an energy drink(which one?), mints(was thinking mentos?) and chocolate(don't have a clue what kind of chocolate?)

Suggestions people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I'm bringing a chocolate kelloggs elevenses bar, a carton of ribena and a bottle of strawberry water...

Chocolate can leave your mouth feeling all sticky.. A cereal bar is a better bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Ok I have a 1lt bottle of volvic water(€1 in spar), maybe an energy drink(which one?), mints(was thinking mentos?) and chocolate(don't have a clue what kind of chocolate?)

Water is water, bottled is better than tap though so go with volvic. I wouldn't recommend energy drinks as you'll crash in the evening. Mentos are lovely but be careful with the wrapper could be loud. Chocolate.. whatever your in to, again be careful with the wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Whatever you bring just make sure that it isn't noisy as it's not fair on other people. Munching on apples just isn't fair :p If it's in a wrapper make sure that you open it before the exam so you can easily get to it. Energy drinks in cans and stuff open those too.

I did the lc last year and the first few exams I brought in food but to be honest I never touched any of it in the end really. You've all summer to eat but only a set time to get your points for college.

When I was feeling a bit tired especially in the afternoon exams I found chewing gum helped me a little to keep focused.

I brought in loads of water and an innocent smoothie. Innocent smoothies are great because they give you a burst of energy with the sugar but no caffeine. I had a few squares of chocolate too.

• Advertisement

^^ I was just about to thank that post until I read the last line.

UrbanSea wrote: »

With the smell and the noise the last thing I would be doing is lawling! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

UrbanSea wrote: »

Haha I would be laughing aswell, what a tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Dutch Gold..
    6 pack preferably.

:D

biggaman wrote: »
    Dutch Gold..
    6 pack preferably.

Only 6..pfft lightweight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I have some toffees in case I need a sugar rush towards the end, and water of course. Flavoured water actually sounds like a good idea.
    If some idiot starts eating crisps or something, I'm going to kill them.

Violafy wrote: »
    I have some toffees in case I need a sugar rush towards the end,

Good idea. I'll prob go with fruit pastilles 'cuz I start crunching toffees making loads of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

I know the student attending my exam centre and he said our super intendant is not allowing food OR drink in the exam.... So I am looking for the rules so I can ensure a drink, because I can't go 3 hours without one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

mcrdotcom wrote: »
    I know the student attending my exam centre and he said our super intendant is not allowing food OR drink in the exam.... So I am looking for the rules so I can ensure a drink, because I can't go 3 hours without one!!
    You're DEFINITELY entitled to water at least, there's no way they won't allow you to bring in a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Framble wrote: »
    Yes.... but nothing that would make too much noise... or smell too much...

So that's a no for tuna then...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Lads tesco are doing 3 bottles of Volic 1.5lt water for 3 euro, anyway in the tesco in Dundalk they are scanning into the machines wrong so you get with the discount 3 bottles for 1.87! Might be the same for all tescos, flavored water too which is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Kathnora

Apart from some water maybe I can't see any reason to bring food into an exam....what a distraction and where would you get the time to be eating? As Victoria said you have all summer to eat :(

biggaman wrote: »
    Dutch Gold..
    6 pack preferably.

Don't mind that sh1t... :rolleyes:
    Homebrew is the only job.. ;)
    Just so I can waffle on tomorrow.

Kathnora wrote: »
    Apart from some water maybe I can't see any reason to bring food into an exam....what a distraction and where would you get the time to be eating? As Victoria said you have all summer to eat :(

When I personally get hungry all I think about is food. Defo don't want that happening in the middle of an exam. Happened in the mocks...! Not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Worrying about my stomach grumbling < Eating in exam hall.

I brought in sunflower seeds for the JC. Probably won't do that again. Maybe some chocolate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

mcrdotcom wrote: »
    So I am looking for the rules so I can ensure a drink, because I can't go 3 hours without one!!

Hey man,
    You should check this site out it's okay your not alone,plenty of people go through this,they have some helpful people you could call too!

www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie

Kathnora wrote: »

I can't go more than an hour and a half without eating.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Yes as long as it's not really noisy or smelly :/ And also, for the sake of the people around you, don't eat loudly! There's nothing more irritating!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

This whole bottle of water rule is slightly flawed...

Take a bottle of Deep Riverrock for example.
    Take of the label, scan it, change the chemical make up to facts you need to know, print, glue on. :o

Seriously doubt any examiner would actually check the label of your bottle like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'm bringing a chicken burger for inspiration

Advertisement