Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2011 - The Big Three - Who Won?

Options
  • 07-06-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

So now that the press conferences for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are over, who do you think 'won'?

Who won E3 2011? 77 votes

Microsoft
    0% 0 votes
    Sony
    25% 20 votes
    Nintendo
    74% 57 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sonys was the most interesting

but in general, all three were dull as hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Theres no winners no excitement i want those hours back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sega come back

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nintendo, Microsoft had absolutely nothing that interested me aside from Gears 3 and that was hardly new news, MW3 and Tomb Raider are multiplatform so they dont count. Sony impressed with Uncharted 3 and the Vita does look cool but Nintendo owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Personally, I feel Sony won.

The 3D TV package and low price of the PSV was the deciding factor.

Microsoft discussed only two games I want to play [GOW3 and Halo 4] and spent far too much time on the Kinect.

Nintendo failed to re-assure me that the Wii U is worth my time. The few third-party titles it had seemed to me to echo the current situation, where the PS3 and 360 get a game and then the Wii gets a slightly gimped version of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

EA for Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I personally don't give a **** about the 3DTV, but of the 3 crappy presentations, Sony's was the least crappy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tried watching the ms one, gave up after 5 minutes due to a complete lack of interest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sony, but that's not saying much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sony showed good games (and actual gameplay!) that I want to play (although I did miss the start of the Xbox / Nintendo conferences).

No surprises, but the only thing I'm certain of is that I really, really want Uncharted 3.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sony, which is a sad state of affairs

nintendo had a great chance to wow us all and they just didn't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Has to be MS -certainly the most interesting out of the 3.

As for Nintendo - couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DarkJager wrote: »
    Has to be MS -certainly the most interesting out of the 3.

what!??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Helix wrote: »
    what!??!!

I agree, what!??!!

kinect
    kinect
    kinect
    kinect halo 4 trailer, not due for year and half...
    kinect
    kinect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Sony won hands down. The games looked good, PSVITA is awesome and the Playstation TV is nice. Crucially the presented the information well, something Nintendo could take note of.

Nintendo could have won it as they had brand new hardware to show but the presentation was so confusing that they blew it.

As for Microsoft, well what can you say. It was just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sony.

i am so happy i did not got 3ds!i can see way more sony products in my house hold.

PSP phone - andriod/suite support
    Ps Vita - amazing little thing, well priced, good powerhouse
    Sony 3d bundle - great value.
    Sony move - best motion control out there, with actuol fun games and solid feel.

problem is - i have no idea where to buy all that stuff lol, from gamestop? o2 phone shop? curries?

p.s. i missed release date for vita and 3d TV bundle.

Whoever voting for 360 please dis-Kinetic from boards your not welcome here :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Meh all three were a bit crap.

I have no interest in Kinect, Move or the Wii. All three are gimmicky rubbish imo.

Anymore its mainly about the the individual game companies. Looking forward to seeing more of Skyrim and Deus Ex human Revolution is looking the business too. Far cry seems really good aswell.

The days of the really good exclusives seem long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ubisoft for Mr Caffeine ! :D

In all seriousness they did have some good games Ghost recon, Driver and Assassins creed as well as some surprises like Far Cry 3.

I don't get the dismissal of Microsoft's it was way better than last year and they showed 17 games. Only 5 Kinect games and one was Star Wars and one was Seseme Street by Tim Schaffer !

Granted they showed nothing new but we all knew they had nothing new to show and of course Kinect would feature heavily they spent 1/2 billion on promoting it of course they are going to try implement it into the big games in some way.

These are the games they showed

. “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3”
    · “Dance Central 2” (Harmonix Music Systems Inc., Microsoft Studios).
    · “Fable: The Journey” (Lionhead Studios, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Forza Motorsport 4” (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Gears of War 3” (Epic Games, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Halo 4” (343 Industries, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary” (343 Industries/Microsoft Studios, Saber Interactive, Certain Affinity).
    · “Kinect Sports: Season Two” (Rare, Big Park Games, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Kinect Star Wars” (Terminal Reality, LucasArts/Microsoft Studios).
    · “Kinect: Disneyland Adventures” (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios).
    · “Mass Effect 3” (BioWare, Electronic Arts).
    · “Minecraft” (Mojang, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Ryse” (Crytek, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster”
    · “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier”
    · “Tomb Raider”
    . UFC

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think Nintendo, maybe I'm being silly but for me the confrence is probably going to get me to get a 3DS, and if it delivers at all Wii-U will be a fixture in my house too.

Microsoft comfortably the worst of the lot, everything was just voice controls and flailing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sony for me but it wasn't anything groundbreaking. Their new hardware (3D TV and Vita) hooked me instantly which unfortunately can't be said about Nintendo's Wii U. It's early days but I don't feel that they sold it to me properly. They seemed quite vague in the details which is a major pity because they had the perfect opportunity to steal the show.

Microsoft's was pretty awful. To be fair they were all pretty awful but Microsoft's one was probably the worst.

The Gears Of War demo was probably the only thing that was remotely interesting. That and Halo 4 I guess.

Everything else was a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think Nintendo, its all too Hush Hush though, hard to know if it will be as powerful, no blu ray ?
    The 3dTV from Sony doesnt interest me, its only 24 inches , i have 47 so its half a screen for splitscreen anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ubisoft for Mr Caffeine ! :D

In all seriousness they did have some good games Ghost recon, Driver and Assassins creed as well as some surprises like Far Cry 3.

I don't get the dismissal of Microsoft's it was way better than last year and they showed 17 games. Only 5 Kinect games and one was Star Wars and one was Seseme Street by Tim Schaffer !

Granted they showed nothing new but we all knew they had nothing new to show and of course Kinect would feature heavily they spent 1/2 billion on promoting it of course they are going to try implement it into the big games in some way.

These are the games they showed

. “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3”
    · “Dance Central 2” (Harmonix Music Systems Inc., Microsoft Studios).
    · “Fable: The Journey” (Lionhead Studios, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Forza Motorsport 4” (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Gears of War 3” (Epic Games, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Halo 4” (343 Industries, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary” (343 Industries/Microsoft Studios, Saber Interactive, Certain Affinity).
    · “Kinect Sports: Season Two” (Rare, Big Park Games, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Kinect Star Wars” (Terminal Reality, LucasArts/Microsoft Studios).
    · “Kinect: Disneyland Adventures” (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios).
    · “Mass Effect 3” (BioWare, Electronic Arts).
    · “Minecraft” (Mojang, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Ryse” (Crytek, Microsoft Studios).
    · “Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster”
    · “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier”
    · “Tomb Raider”
    . UFC

Microsoft's show after the ME3 demo was really painful to watch. Those scripted presentations they use year after year with the fake as hell banter are awful. The amount of kinect ****e that not only looked pretty unfun to play and seemed to to either an on the rails type game (Star Wars), didn't look like a valid reason to use kenect (Ghost Recon) or just looked like the person demoing it was syncing to what was happening on the screen (Star Wars).

The only valid kinect use for games were ME3 for voice commands and Forza 4 for head tracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Agree on the good show from Microsoft. Delighted that they are continuing on the HALO experience along with Forza 4 which will be compatable with Kinect.
    Mass Effect 3 is also good news for gamers along with gears 3.

The new dashboard is something im really looking forward to.

Not to interested in the whole voice recognition and bing services, but the YouTube app is definitely a step in the right direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    the HALO experience

The Halo experience? If slightly above shooting is worthy of being called an experience... :pac:

Of all the titles shown, Star Wars Kinect IMO was the crappest of 'em all. It really looked beyond awful - so rigid, unexciting and a concept that sounds much better on paper than it ever will be in action. Hell, a Move controller bears more of a 1:1 relationship with an on-screen lightsaber, and it glows pretty colours too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Can't help but feel a bit of Deja vu with Vita it reminds me of the psp reveal.It looks great but offers slightly worse versions of console games,hope Sony learned a lot from the psp.Uncharted looked great as always but the lack of new game announcements was very un-e3.There was more exciting reveals at the Spike VGA's last december.I was expecting Resi 6,Gta V or Half Life 3/episode 3 to be announced but none turned up.Probably holding them back for the next gen systems.Don't think anyone unanimously won e3 but the 3rd Party games like Batman,Skyrim & ME3 made a great impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

GTR63 wrote: »
    Can't help but feel a bit of Deja vu with Vita it reminds me of the psp reveal.It looks great but offers slightly worse versions of console games,hope Sony learned a lot from the psp.Uncharted looked great as always but the lack of new game announcements was very un-e3.There was more exciting reveals at the Spike VGA's last december.I was expecting Resi 6,Gta V or Half Life 3/episode 3 to be announced but none turned up.Probably holding them back for the next gen systems.Don't think anyone unanimously won e3 but the 3rd Party games like Batman,Skyrim & ME3 made a great impact.

It would be kind of silly to announce anything new really, at least from sonys PoV, in my opinion (Even tho Starhawk and Dust are more or less new).

Their lineup for the next year is pretty jammed packed, likewise the 3rd party scene is busting with great games being released between now and next year so i guess a lot of developers are holding out until it starts to thin out a bit. Lineup wise it has been incredibly solid, just nothing that we haven't heard of in the last few months.

Would we expect more announcements at tokyo game show or gamescon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

as far as im concerned, nothing announced news wise. I was expecting the majority of releases from each to be announced, though halo4 caught me out.

Was impressed by the Wii, but the Vita really looks the part. the whole Sony package impressed me (as most sony hardware does, though ive no interest in buying a ps3). so they get my vote.

E3 doesnt hold that sway anymore, news gets leaked too easily and theres little room for surprises. which is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't vote, as none of the 'big 3' conference really did anything for me. EA and Ubisoft however had excellent shows.

Advertisement