Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something like a Ipad

• 07-06-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi hope this is the right place (If not please move it MrMod) I am looking for something like an Ipad but cheaper its for my wife who is off to Turkey
    It will need to be able to take a dongle for the net and be able to use facebook also it will need a camera for skype any help would be great .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

have you consider a netbook
    they are a lot cheaper, better battery, up to 250 gb hard drive, faster for every task and they work with the internet dongle
    + usb stick work with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

bpb101 wrote: »
    have you consider a netbook
    they are a lot cheaper, better battery, up to 250 gb hard drive, faster for every task and they work with the internet dongle
    + usb stick work with them

Thank you but she does not want a net book she said its like a baby laptop

ye that exatuly what it is but i think the touch screen is a bit of a gimick
    i have an archos 5 internet tablet. it 5in screen but i perfer my 8.9 in asus netbook

of course it you own dissension but to be honest you will get board and kinda pissed off with the touch screen

also with the netbook you can watch movies and video online
    i dont think (apart from youtube) flash is supported on the i pad

also i'm not sure but i think the ipad only works with the 3g it has built in . and i think you need an account with apple . but im not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Archos 101. Android based and has a front end camera...might not be enough power forskype though! i have one and it works perfectly well for surking the web or reading book, playing apps etc...

Archos 101 are a lot bigger than the archos 5
    also archos try to screw every penny out of you
    eg the want you to buy hi def plug ins.

dose it have to have 3g support

if it dosent think about the asus eee slate
    http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/#specifications

i got an eee pc (netbook) and there isent a day go by that i dont think it was a great buy.

the netbooks are sooo handy

• Advertisement

sorry the eee slate has a usb oput and window so the dongle should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Archos 101 are a lot bigger than the archos 5
    also archos try to screw every penny out of you
    eg the want you to buy hi def plug ins.

if it dosent think about the asus eee slate
    http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/#specifications

i got an eee pc (netbook) and there isent a day go by that i dont think it was a great buy.

the netbooks are sooo handy

:eek: ta but its over 1k

sorry i only realsise it when i youtubed it

btw did you hear the guy in china who sold his kindy for $2,000
    so he could buy an ipad2

netbooks are only c.250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

cursai wrote: »
    Archos 101. Android based and has a front end camera...might not be enough power forskype though! i have one and it works perfectly well for surking the web or reading book, playing apps etc...

+1 on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You could get one of those cheapo 3g wireless routers

• Advertisement

it depend weather Carpenter wants the 3g on the go
    i have 1 one them myself and there great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi hope this is the right place (If not please move it MrMod) I am looking for something like an Ipad but cheaper its for my wife who is off to Turkey
    vHaoP.png

On a slightly more serious note, the ipad is thinner and lighter and has a better battery life, and has a better screen..
    TeoaW.jpg
    The HP is from 2003 so installing android on it is probably easier than turning it into a hackintosh, so the ipad might just edge ahead on the OS / ease of use.

The HP wipes it on connectivity and expandability, you can add 3G dongle / web cam / swap in a 500GB drive. /RANT
    It will need to be able to take a dongle for the net and be able to use facebook also it will need a camera for skype any help would be great .
    you can pickup an entry level android smart phone for very little these days. eg. A vodafone 845 was €80 and it should cost €10-20 to unlock it and she buys a pre-pay sim in Turkey. It would be complete madness to try to roam on an Irish contract. Unless you can figure out how to use skype out on 3 and you are 110% sure you have all the bases covered.

Advertisement