Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY CCTV

Options
  • 07-06-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi Folks, looking to install a cctv system into my parents house due to an increase in burglaries in their area, looking for a simple system and came across this http://www.cameras-cctv.com/DVR_Systems/2420-2dome , would anyone be able to give me some advice on above system or recommend something better that won't break the bank? cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Very little info on the site which would suggest that it is low end.
    What's your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

had looked at a system in local electrical wholesale at 585 euro which is way out of my budget, can only afford something about 300-400

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try this one. I have used these guys before where as the website you mentioned I have not and they have no info on their kit.

Have heard good reports about cctv direct. Their kit gets good reviews in the trade mags

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Apologies for the hi-jack, looking at doing something similar. Got this link emailed from Maplins today. Its a KGuard 500GB 8 Channel H.264 Network DVR with 4x CCD Cameras and Smart Phone Access. Its 299 pounds plus 8.50 postage.

Any comments would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tevion1

nulabert wrote: »
    Apologies for the hi-jack, looking at doing something similar. Got this link emailed from Maplins today. Its a KGuard 500GB 8 Channel H.264 Network DVR with 4x CCD Cameras and Smart Phone Access. Its 299 pounds plus 8.50 postage.

Any comments would be great.

x2 looking for something like this but dont know if there any good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Is this CCTV system for £299 any good then???

Front page of maplins.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/

I have 2 outdoor Cat5E cables in position for 2 cameras for my house and garage too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Don't waste your money on that.
    Take a look at the suppliers sticky . Shop around some of them. You will get much better value for money.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Don't waste your money on that.
    Take a look at the suppliers sticky . Shop around some of them. You will get much better value for money.

So what would you recommend for the 350-380 euro mark then??

Im on a budget here aswell.;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Shop around the suppliers sticky. Maybe go for 1 or 2 cameras & add to it from there. I'd be upping that budget a bit or hold off & do it right.

• Advertisement

Shop around the suppliers sticky. Maybe go for 1 or 2 cameras & add to it from there. I'd be upping that budget a bit or hold off & do it right.

What would be upping the budget a bit then??

Give me a realistic figure,based on your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good price that. One note about screens. It may look like a small computer LCD screen but it's not. They have a different connection, BNC probably. Well I assume so because my DVR does not have a VGA port.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Go for BNC, VGA is rubbish for CCTV.

Go for BNC, VGA is rubbish for CCTV.
    I don't think thats good for Paddys budget Fred.:D

Never had a problem with vga monitors, just use a quality monitor.
    If you want a good value bnc monitor Maplin had one on special a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

Sorry to drag this one out of the grave but with this kit, what is the optional Internet connection on offer? Is it not a matter of plugging in an Ethernet cable?
    Also, where does the DVR go? The cables may be a bit short so can you stick the DVR in the attic and view the monitor downstairs?

Cheers

Give them a ring or email, they will answer any questions you may have

A wired network cable is best. The monitor is best beside the D V R its easier making recordings of events.

Advertisement