Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch or accelerator to start?

Options
  • 07-06-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

My instructor has always told me to push the clutch in all the way and press the accelerator pedal down to 2000 revs. Then slowly bring up the clutch until the car starts moving and hold for a couple of seconds and then give it more acceleration as I come off the clutch fully.

But I recently bought a car and was driving it around a supermarket carpark to get used to the controls. I noticed that it's easier if I just use the clutch to move off and then give it some acceleration.

Which is better for the car? And do the testers have a preference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wheety wrote: »
    My instructor has always told me to push the clutch in all the way and press the accelerator pedal down to 2000 revs. Then slowly bring up the clutch until the car starts moving and hold for a couple of seconds and then give it more acceleration as I come off the clutch fully.

But I recently bought a car and was driving it around a supermarket carpark to get used to the controls. I noticed that it's easier if I just use the clutch to move off and then give it some acceleration.

Which is better for the car? And do the testers have a preference?

It seems your instructors method was more of a way of teaching you how it's done. It's not something that would be as set in stone that.

The way you're doing it seems more natural, lift the clutch while gently accelerating away is the way to do it! It sounds like you have it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thanks.

I find I can move off quicker that way as when I come up to the bite point, the car starts rolling forward and I know to give it gas then.

The other way I'm coming up slowly as I don't want to shoot off or stall the car.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Your way sounds better. You'll get a feel for it through practice, and you certainly won't need to look at the tachograph ('revmeter') to be able to move off. In fact the car I drive doesn't even have one, and when I drive my dad's car I almost never look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Well i know from my instuctor he asked me to push the clutch when starting but thats to help start as for taking off i think he told me how to do it but i ignored. i had learned myself and you do . when the car moves after releasing the clutch slightly just give it acc. . i do sometimes give it acc half and half. when taking my clutch up put the ac down same time not too much. but you can judge it in your head. by listening to the car. she will tell you wat she wants

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

There are times when one suits better then the other. The first one is setting the peddals to moving off as you release the handbrake. The second is for when you are holding your right foot on the brake. Us both as appropriate and the will both become more fluid and natural.
    The car is made to be driven. Either one is ok. The examiners will want you to be using both methods, eg. handbrake for hillstarts and longer waits, footbrake for short waits and creeping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement