Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many aspects for cultural context?

• 07-06-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

how many aspects should one use in a three text comparative on cultural context, e.g. Role of money, religion, role of men and women, family etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I was told about 4 in great detail!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

It depends on how many you need to get enough substance and points. I'm using three but I only really need two since my third is only a brief point.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

For me, generally 2 aspects @ 3 pages each.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

The hell? I was gonna use all these asects including more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Iceboy wrote: »
    Same. I have several headings, setting, ethic groups, role of women, influence of religion, attitude towards disability, etc.

Iceboy wrote: »

Remember you have to talk about the aspect in the novel, then compare it to the two other novels and refer back to the question THREE TIMES PER ASPECT.

Talking about an aspect such as religion in Wuthering Heights should take a page IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Same. I have several headings, setting, ethic groups, role of women, influence of religion, attitude towards disability, etc.

Ye I don't know how I could just write about 2 or 3 aspects, I like to talk about the main comparisons of many and not turn it into waffle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You don't always have to use all three texts on a point. You can use two, then move onto your next aspect.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You don't always have to use all three texts on a point. You can use two, then move onto your next aspect.

True, but it's wiser to choose aspects of a cultural context that are relevant to all 3 of your texts. With there being so many aspects, it shouldn't be hard to find 2 you can relate to all 3 of your texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Are these 3 ok:
    Role of women in society
    Religion/morality
    Corruption at the highest power
    I'm not sure on the 3rd one... help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Are these 3 ok:
    Role of women in society
    Religion/morality
    Corruption at the highest power
    I'm not sure on the 3rd one... help!

They're fine, but maybe just talk about power in general, then go on to discuss how power in all three texts is corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

^^^^ power structures? :)

PS thank you
    x

And as for the rest - there is no definitive number. You can discuss 7 aspects if you want or 3 in great detail as long as you ANSWER THE QUESTION.

The danger with discussing 7 is that it's very easy to start firing down everything you remember onto the page and forget to refer to the question. There is also the time element - you cannot afford the time to write a 10 page comparative when there are two other essays and an unseen to do and the poor oul' examiner will let out a groan when faced with a booklet plus extra pages......:rolleyes:

^^^^ power structures? :)

You don't have to give it a title, but yep, power structures is perfect.

Advertisement