Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 7 Confirmed for 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Sleepy wrote: »
    ríomhaire, I get that but I'd have thought that the merchandising, DVD sales, Book Sales, all the other spin-offs and licensing would *more* than cover the costs of the series.

this is correct, and also now the show is officially a BBC Wales and BBC America Co-Production, because I'd imagine that BBC America does show adverts.

The BBC last night made the situation even more murky, stating that the reason for next year being truncated was due to SM's work on Sherlock, which caused SM to tweet right away that it had nothing to do with Sherlock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13784334

its starting to stink out in White City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I was a long-time Who watcher until near the end of the Tennant series where John Simm came in as The Master, stopped watching around then.

Is the first Matt Smith series worth checking out or is it going to annoy me i.e. I'd prefer not to have an abundance of daft catchphrases or storylines aimed at the younger audience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was a long-time Who watcher until near the end of the Tennant series where John Simm came in as The Master, stopped watching around then.

Is the first Matt Smith series worth checking out

Yes. It's a million times better than the trash that was being spewn out during the Tennant era.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is the first Matt Smith series worth checking out or is it going to annoy me i.e. I'd prefer not to have an abundance of daft catchphrases or storylines aimed at the younger audience :)
    Yes; Series 5 is quality stuff. Most of the cheesy, campy excess of the RTD era is gone (or at worst, hugely toned down) & in its place is a fairly adult (at times), quirky, fresh & fun series. Like one of Grimm's fairy tales, with some Sci-Fi trappings, is how I saw it best described. So it can get quite dark for a teatime show, but it's more thrilling than scary.

Matt Smith himself is excellent, and is arguably the best / most natural Doctor since Tom Baker. The excellent dialogue & scripts from Moffat & Co. help, but Smith's effortless charm, natural dorkiness & general enthusiasm is infectious. I know some people on this forum haven't taken to him, but I'd be surprised if you don't take to his Bowtie'd persona :)

The same goes for Amy & Rory; again some people didn't take to Amy but I found her & Rory a natural comic foil, and were more ... human(?) than the broadly-drawn caricatures present in RTD's tenure.

On the minus side? Well the FX is visibly poorer in this series - but hey if you liked the original series that's no great criticism - and the first couple of stories aren't great. Especially the third episode, it's pretty rotten. That's about it really, Series 5 comes highly recommended from me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thanks lads, I'll check it out so.

• Advertisement

in further odd news, Beth Willis has left now and gone back to her old company.

this means that of the three execs who brought in SM-Era Who, only SM himself remains.

yesterday was final day of shooting for the 2011 series.

last year we had finished watching the 2010 series several weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Seems like a shortened season next year is BS.
    Rumors that “Doctor Who” will endure a shortened season next year are false, showrunner Stephen Moffat tells the Daily Beast.

The next season will consist of 13 hours plus a Christmas special, all airing next year.

“Absolute nonsense," Moffatt says of the rumors. “First of all, we are airing in 2012. The only thing that’s happening is that we’re moving a bit later...There’s lots of reasons for that that will become clear quite soon...It is certainly not a reduced episode count. Do you think the BBC would really let that happen? With an average audience of 10 million?…Doctor Who’s international profile is huge. It’s never been more successful. You’re not going to reduce a show like this. The opposite is going to happen, in fact."

Yay! :)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50941

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great news, and kind of obvious too when you think about it, as Moffat himself mentions. Why kill the golden goose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Damokc

FFS...this guarantees more shìt fùcking t-shirts on qwertee:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Damokc wrote: »
    FFS...this guarantees more shìt fùcking t-shirts on qwertee:rolleyes:
    Oh no a website is going to make bad shirts, whatever shall we do?!

Anyway, fantastic news! Now I must find a girl that I told about the season shortening thing and tell here that I was wrong when I ruined her year.

Advertisement