Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YOUR EXPERIENCE

Options
  • 07-06-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Here's the deal. I am making the move from ready to go to bill pay. I am between two phones, iphone4 and the galaxy s2.

Now I have always been with either Vodafone or o2, always depended on the price of the phone I was looking at.

Now I'm considering THREE. Simple reason either phone is free with them, (I know in the long run you pay more as it will be a two year contract) but thats not an issue for me.

So I am looking for people's experience with three. Mobile coverage and mobile broadband coverage (as I use the net on my phone alot). Anyone I've talked to so far seems to be getting on grand with three and have had no issues to date so I'm just looking for a wider range of opinions.

With signing a two year contract I want to know that its pretty good first.

Also feedback on either iphone 4 or galaxy s2 would be great

Cheers in advance lads and lassies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Get a free pre pay sim from three and test your signal where you live work and play. You want good 3G signal. If it's good then I think Three are the best value. If it's bad then avoid Three. You can get the sims they're free in store or online:
    http://three.ie/shop/simonly.html

I'm currently with three and find them brilliant. Others will differ with my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Cheers Cookie, I might just do that. I'm living and working in Waterford Ciy so reception shouldn't be a bother there.

It does seem to be the best value the €40 plan looks good. And the idea of either a free iphone for or galaxy s2 seems sweet.

I reckon the galaxy s2 is a better phone but the amount or apps on the iphone is what has me split!

My mother got an iPhone 4 the other day for free (on a 2 year contract) @ 40 euro a month. She hasn't looked back. But definitely before committing GET the free sim and test! You'll save yourself a lot of hassle if it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Do not go with 3, worst network in Ireland. Read their forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

To be honest there's complaints on all networks forums. No one really comes onto a forum to say how wonderful their network is now do they?

• Advertisement

Yes but 3 won't even acknowledge major problems that people have been experiencing for over 2 years. They really are the worst. I've had problems with other operators too, but eventually got it sorted out. With 3 the only resolution is to switch networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

srsly78 wrote: »
    Do not go with 3, worst network in Ireland. Read their forum: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367
    Meteor's network was pretty awful up to recently and they've been going for over 10 years. Their customer care is still poor too - ridiculous deposit requirements, issues with free calls and texts not being applied where appropriate, online price discounts not being applied, their 3G data network fell over quite recently on numerous occasions one outage lasting an entire weekend.

If Three is good in your area it's a good deal. Yes there are areas of congestion and poor coverage but you'll get that with every network. Trying Three out with a prepay SIM first will very quickly show if there are any major issues before you commit.

I still disagree with the "check if you have good 3g signal" thing. I was in Dublin city centre with full 5 bars of signal, and 3 still kept dropping connection forcing me to toggle airplane mode all the time. That meteor outage you mentioned was the only disruption I had in the last year. I just switched to vodafone 2 weeks ago to get new phone and data roaming in the UK.

Yes meteor were REALLY bad up to a year ago, but they fixed it! Their network had even worse problems than 3... not only would you lose internet you would also lose voice! But they acknowledged the problem and fixed it. 3 refuse to acknowledge their problems and thus I have no confidence in them fixing anything.

Even after this -> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/welp.png I STILL say 3 are worse!

Yes but 3 won't even acknowledge major problems that people have been experiencing for over 2 years. They really are the worst. I've had problems with other operators too, but eventually got it sorted out. With 3 the only resolution is to switch networks.

But to be fair not everyone is experiencing the problems you've had. The main thing is to test the network first and see how you get on. There has been an annoying problem for iPhone users primarily where when they go into an area of 2g they have to toggle airplane mode when they go backl to a 3G area to get back the 3G signal. If you've strong 3G signal then this won't be a problem for you. If you don't use an iPhone then it probably won't bother you at all. Although I imagine srsly will disagree

It's nothing to do with the iphone :rolleyes: People are reporting it on windows phone now as well. Personally I experienced it with Android.

Strong 3g signal means nothing. When you go inside a building you will lose it.

Again: my main problem is their refusal to acknowledge the issue. They haven't even tried to fix it.

• Advertisement

It's nothing to do with the iphone :rolleyes: People are reporting it on windows phone now as well. Personally I experienced it with Android.

Strong 3g signal means nothing. When you go inside a building you will lose it.

Rolleyes back at ye. Your one size fits all comments don't help anyone make an independent decision.

I know many people that have ragequit from 3 over the last few years. Their network is simply not fit for purpose. You don't see many complaints because we have all switched a long time ago! Amongst engineers the "3 issue" is very well known.

Right now it's new iphone users complaining (including many people I know)... that's why you are confused. Eventually they will also give up on 3 and switch.

edit: If you were wondering what my agenda is for all the moaning about 3 I do.... I want them to FIX it. They are indeed miles ahead when it comes to value! I don't like being forced to use a more expensive competitor. I would switch back in an instant if they sorted their **** out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I know many people that have ragequit from 3 over the last few years. Their network is simply not fit for purpose. You don't see many complaints because we have all switched a long time ago! Amongst engineers the "3 issue" is very well known.

Right now it's new iphone users complaining (including many people I know)... that's why you are confused. Eventually they will also give up on 3 and switch.

Complaining for what? The phone moving between 2G and 3G? That's going to happen on all networks until 2G is retired if ever. 2G travels better inside buildings. Your phone is naturally going to switch to the stronger signal. That does not mean you can't access the 3G networks inside a building if you need to.

What I don't get is all the people who were previously o2 and Vodafone complaining, on their iphones you don't get the choice to switch between 2G and 3G as it's a case of you get what your given as far as network access is concerned.

I've been on 3 for years and use my phone is the city center most weekends and i've never had the problem your stating exists. In fact my 3 phone has been bouncing between about 1.5mb and 4mb any time i've ran a speedtest on the phone.

You've stated you moved to Vodafone. You do know they have less 3G coverage than 3. So your going to be on 2G more often than 3G. Yet that doesn't seem to be a problem:rolleyes:

I really don't care what kind of signal I'm on so long as it works. That's the problem with 3, something gets ****ed up during the handover and you gotta toggle airplane mode. It's clear you have no understanding of what people are complaining about.

edit: If you were wondering what my agenda is for all the moaning about 3 I do.... I want them to FIX it. They are indeed miles ahead when it comes to value! I don't like being forced to use a more expensive competitor. I would switch back in an instant if they sorted their **** out.
    If as you "imagine" android and windows 7 owners were severely affected you'd see just as many threads as you see from iphone users. You just continue to "imagine" there's a bigger issue for the other groups then in reality there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

More 3 bashing lol, there is a fine line between love and hate. At least they are doing something to shake up the Market and offering real value. Oh and I also have no problems with the network coverage, 2G to 3G switch does take longer on the iPhone but it does happen

cookie1977 wrote: »
    If as you "imagine" android and windows 7 owners were severely affected you'd see just as many threads as you see from iphone users. You just continue to "imagine" there's a bigger issue for the other groups then in reality there is.

Typical apologist response. We are not "imagining" the problem.

Typical apologist response. We are not "imagining" the problem.

The royal we doesn't count here. The facts speak for themselves. Iphone users have a problem. The majority of the rest don't.

I find your insinuation that I would go near any apple product deeply insulting.

The royal we doesn't count here. The facts speak for themselves. Iphone users have a problem. The majority of the rest don't.

I've an iPhone and don't have a problem. Yea the phone switches between 2G and 3G but that's going to happen when your running a 2G/3G phone. More a feature than a problem as I said have a look at an 02 or Vodafone iPhone you'll see the problem is actually worse they just dont realise it. You don't get the option to switch to 3G with their phones. To me that's a lot worse.

• Advertisement

I made my decision anyway lads.

Yesterday I got the Samsung Galaxy s2 on the €40 a month contract.

Great phone I must say.

Now for three, so far no problems what so ever. Voice calls and text work perfect.

Sometimes the intenet is slow, pretty much depeding where I'm am, but thats not a huge issue for me.

I'll keep yee up dated, but so far it appears to be a good move.

The_Shotz wrote: »
    I made my decision anyway lads.

Yesterday I got the Samsung Galaxy s2 on the €40 a month contract.

Great phone I must say.

Now for three, so far no problems what so ever. Voice calls and text work perfect.

Sometimes the intenet is slow, pretty much depeding where I'm am, but thats not a huge issue for me.

I'll keep yee up dated, but so far it appears to be a good move.
    I hope it goes well for you. If you picked the free unlimited landline calls then you should look at hullomail for free voicemail as three charges 15 cent per minute.

www.hullomail.com

I hope it goes well for you.

So do I but srsly78 & evotroll are probably taking an angle grinder to his nearest mast as well speak. :)

Way ahead of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The_Shotz wrote: »

Well if internet access isn't important to you, you should be OK.

The 'sometimes slow' could one day become 'always painfully slow' or 'completely useless', and that's when you have a problem.

The internet has picked up, I got a message from three yesterday saying I have been fully set up and all that and since that moment my net has improved a lot.

When I'm at home or in work I use WIFI anyways so I'm covered there and the s2 is super fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I use Wifi at home too, but there are times when you can't use it, and this is when the real problems show up. It's easy to get distracted when you have a new phone to play with but I would keep a close eye on it for the next few days, and try to use it without Wifi.
    Two years is a very long contract to be tied to.

Advertisement