Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

if a usb stick get damp can it still be used?

• 07-06-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Or is there a chance it will it break the pc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Get a hair dryer to it. Doubt it'd break it though, depending on the case. You could always try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

Throw it in the hot press overnight, youd be able to use it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i dont think it willl it break it either but i want to be 100% sure i broke 2 computer before by using a broken usb device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bob Z wrote: »
    i dont think it willl it break it either but i want to be 100% sure i broke 2 computer before by using a broken usb device

Thats not possible to do. I've seen ports that break USB devices because they were wired up wrong or shorted. Worst thing that could happen is the port dies. Not big deal on machines now days with 6+ ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Bob Z wrote: »

Throw it in a bag of dry rice, and leave in a hot press for a day or two, should be sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

donmeister wrote: »
    Throw it in a bag of dry rice, and leave in a hot press for a day or two, should be sound

This +1

I had an memory stick go through the washing machine a few weeks ago :o
    Just put it in a jiffy bag with a good few handfuls of rice and left it for 36 hours. Working fine after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Thats not possible to do. I've seen ports that break USB devices because they were wired up wrong or shorted. Worst thing that could happen is the port dies. Not big deal on machines now days with 6+ ports.

Never say never. I have a board here that malfunctioned after something failed in a USB backplane adaptor and it was the fact that I could smell something start to burn that caused me to climb under the desk to find an SMD polyfuse starting to smoulder... it had already turned a nice shade of brown from its original white!?

(And no, I have no idea how that could/should happen either - there wasn't anything actually connected to the offending port(s), which is why I suspect a short in the backplane adaptor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I have put my usb key through the washing machine and dryer twice now and it still works fine... just leave it dry out and you will probably be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Definetly happened. Fried the ports on a pc and a mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Put it in a lunchbox with a few fistfuls of rice (which is hygroscopic), seal it up, and put it in the hot press for a couple of days. Just to be sure. If you have dry Silica gel packs (i.e. unused, or dried out in the oven), use those too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement