Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercihurst Global Intelligence Conference - Dungarvan

Options
  • 07-06-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Is anybody else uncomfortable with the above conference being held in Dungarvan again this year? Of course it`s wonderful that the town will get a bounce in terms of hotels/restaurants for the duration of the event but I personally feel uncomfortable that former directors of the CIA, former directors of military intelligence in the United States army and former senior figures from the FBI will be in attendance.

Also, the intelligence conference is being attended by the director of Treasury Holdings, one of the developers that helped bankrupt this country, and Mr. Frank Daly, the chairman of the National Asset Management Agency. Is it appropriate for high level officials from various Irish Government Departments to attend such a conference with spooks from the CIA, FBI and so forth, as well as developers who have played such a malign role in our economic fortunes?

Is it in line with this country’s tradition of military neutrality to be involved in such a conference?

It`s no secret that the CIA is involved in illegal kidnapping, so-called renditions and has been involved in all sorts of manipulations in places such as the Middle East. It might well be involved in the activities of the Saudi regime, with which the US Government is so closely associated, in trying to crush a democratic movement in Bahrain.

I think we have to ask ourselves are these the intelligence services we should mix with given their history? Why is there a requirement on delegates attending this conference not to write about their attendance or what takes place at the conference? There are to be no blogs about it and journalists are not allowed to attend. None of the content of the conference is allowed to emerge from it.

I wonder why this is the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

It's worth holding this conference if only to see the loonies going bananas with their anti-american sh!te!!!!!:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I think the key word in your whole post was 'former' as in once was and not any more.

I think it's fantastic that this place has been chosen as the venue to hold the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Did they not have something like that again last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

It's worth holding this conference if only to see the loonies going bananas with their anti-american sh!te!!!!!:P

Don`t get out much councillor do you?? ;)
    eeloe wrote: »
    I think the key word in your whole post was 'former' as in once was and not any more.

QUOTE]

Former indeed. That would explain the media blackout, level of security in town for the weekend (incl. army rangers in civvies) and overall secrecy adopted for the event by the authorities.

Advertisement