Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of the smell of pee

• 07-06-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

We are in the middle of toilet training on 2yo, all is grand in the house but when shes in the car she falls asleep and ends up soaking the seat.

We have washed the seat cover but it looks like its soaked into the polystyrene underneath.

Anyone have any advice on getting rid of the smell cause its getting unbearable in the "heat"

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

bread soda. works for everything. will also absorb whatever moisture is there. sprinkle some on the affected area (i.e: on the foam or seat cover) & just leave there. if it gets overly wet again just wipe off & replace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A disposable changing mat on the car seat will help.
    I would put it in the washing machine then put the cover on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Napisan, works too, beside the milton in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Sorry to hijack but I've got the same problem except it's with a mattress. It's obviously soaked into it now and the room smells of wee, he had lots of accidents before we got our hands on a couple of mattress protectors. He keeps taking his nappy off in bed no matter how much we check on him.
    We are in a short term lease situation abroad and paid a large deposit so I'd really like to sort it if possible.

I obviously can't wash a mattress. What's the story with the bread soda?
    You sprinkle breadsoda on the mattress and just leave it there indefinitely? Put sheets on over it etc? Is it a long term solution or does it just absorb the smell temporarily?
    I can't exactly leave the apt with bread soda sitting on the mattress though.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Yep, you put a good dose of bread soda directly on the mattress, then cover it up w/ the protector & sheets. Your child then sleeping on it will dig it into the mattress a bit. Eventually it will soak up whatever fluids & smells possible, after which time you can hoover it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Wow cool, will give that a try.
    Brilliant stuff, thanks a million Ayla.

Advertisement