Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Global Technology Company Hacking?

• 07-06-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with 'Global Technology Company'...I'm just after recieving a call saying that There is virus' on my server..

The wierd thing was that they called me by the name that eircom had put on my bill by mistake a few months ago..Annie instead on Anne. They als said that my IP address was flashing red on their screens and they knew I lived in Donegal..

The people that talked to me we're all indian and were a bit wierd..I kept being called Darling and sweetheart!?

They wanted me to go into My Computer and click on Manage at that point I was like I am very uncomfortable with this conversation and If I have any problem with my Internet I will contact my provider..

I wouldn't have done anything but I just wanted to see what they were asking about..

Worried now that an older person might get something similar and maybe fall foul to this type of calls..

Anyway just thought I'd see if anyone else has had something similar..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

I recieved a call from a company calling themselves "xpert tech solutions" based in london. It was the third time they called,both previous times,i gave em 30 seconds and slammed down the phone,but third time the missus answered and she was made to feel intimidated by the way the calllers were aggressive about followng their instructions. They were insistant that they were affiliated with windows and our computer was at srious risk. Plus the fact the are calling from a withheld number...is the whole thing an elaborate scam or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My sister fell scam to something like this today. Despite the fact that she was immediately supicious, she still gave them remothe access. Yes, ive berated her for it.

They did the whole thing with telling her the event viewer was all viruses and that the cpu usage in task manager showing 20% was bad. The remote access was done through ammyy.com (?) and he was there for 10 minutes.

I currently have switched off broadband am running a full virus scan (kaspersky, up to date). What else can i do in the meantime? All my current browsing is done on my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mr1percent

make sure remote access is switched off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mr1percent

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That wont make any difference.

Sorry that was an incomplete post. I meant that on top of everything that LordChessington was doing, ie virus scan,disconect broadband, malware sweep etc that he should make sure that remote access was turned off.

sorry for confusion.

Advertisement