Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ormonde Cinema in stillorgan

Options
  • 07-06-2011 8:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

has this place closed? cant find any listings for it on the web nor news about the place either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I looked it up a week or two ago and their website said they were closed for renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

They, along with 8 other cinemas have been sold to Odeon. Currently being modernized etc. No idea of timeframe though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0601/1224298206049.html

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Hope its not gone, love that cinema! childhood memories

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Todays paper says uci are renting the ormonde

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

serenacat wrote: »

Remember when the entrance was down stairs in the carpark?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Nulty wrote: »

Yeah and the 'shopping centre' upstairs only seemed to have two tennents, AIB and something called 'Suit King'?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Childhood memories are the original one screen ormonde before the plaza was ever built ! Last film I saw there was star wars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Have they changed the cinema at all with UCI in charge? I hope they didnt just change the sineage if they want to compete with Dundrum/Dun Laoghaire.

Have they changed the cinema at all with UCI in charge? I hope they didnt just change the sineage if they want to compete with Dundrum/Dun Laoghaire.

Havent been yet hopefully tonight! will report back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The last time that I was there about a year ago, they still had the (rather eroded) original Jurassic Park poster in the basement car park. I will admit that I have many fond childhood memories of the Ormonde. Nevertheless, back when the entrance to the cinema was in the basement car park, it was an absolute kip.

From time to time, I also miss the old Forum Cinema in Sandycove which was replaced with a Centra and upper floor apartments. However, before it was sold off, it was doomed for failure with the IMC opening up opposite Bloomfields. Talk about perfect timing!:D

I tried to see 'the guard' last evening but it was sold out! so guess it is doing well!! It hasn't changed too much

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What's it like inside? Did they gut it or just tart it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Layout is the same but walls and floors have been refreshed, colours changed. Seats are new and screens probably as well (I don't remember what was the setup before, they have posters on the walls saying how many screens are new and/or improved). You won't get lost for sure :D Food options are a little different I think, not too sure as I don't buy them normally, but I don't recall hotdogs and the sweets stand is smaller and in a different corner. They've also put in some nice sofa seating opposite the tills.

What's it like inside? Did they gut it or just tart it up?

Its a more polished version, the toliets have a sign saying 'RESTROOMS' which I don't like. A group of lads were in the underground carpark drinking wine by the buy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nulty wrote: »

Ha, I can beat that. I can remember when the original entrance was upstairs. You had to walk through a pretty much abandoned shopping mall to get to it. I think they only had 3 screens. They then expanded, moved the entrance downstairs to the car park. Then the original mall was demolished, the present building was built and the entrance moved back upstairs.

In recent years I stopped going there as it was grubby, the screens were too small and there was no leg room. Been going to Dundrum since.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Pleased to report reopened Ormonde and all good... got to see The Guard yesterday (great filum by the way :))

All new furnishings/fittings and better 'style' than Dundrum.... and a lift? is that new?

Handier for me than Dundrum both for walking/driving and prefer parking options.

Nice wet day = perfect for the pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Are the seats, screens and sound now on par with the Dundrum?

I would start to go back there if it is.

Well I thought seat very comfortable and no viewing problem. Perhaps you could check it out DJ and give us your opinion? With so many screens in each establishment and variety of films, it is hard to be definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Perhaps I will Annie, perhaps I will...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Edgar Eats

Nice wet day = perfect for the pictures!

are you on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pikeman

Went to this cinema last night, first time since it was reopened. Looks snazzy alright. I'd have a gripe about the seating though. I was sitting in the 4th row from the back. Usually in cinemas, the seating is tiered meaning there's no viewing problems. However, in Stillorgan it was only tiered from the front to about half way. Even the person 3 rows in front of me was blocking part of my view. I could hear the poor woman behind me giving out to her other half that she couldn't see because of me. Badly thought out. It may have just been the screen i was in though.

Just as an aside to this thread, work well underway to redevelop several shop units in Ormonde complex as a Lidl outlet. Several Lidls southside and only one Aldi. But another boost for Stillorgan and much needed competition for Tesco.

Just as an aside to this thread, work well underway to redevelop several shop units in Ormonde complex as a Lidl outlet. Several Lidls southside and only one Aldi. But another boost for Stillorgan and much needed competition for Tesco.

Interesting. I would be overjoyed to see an Aldi there :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

mhge wrote: »
    Interesting. I would be overjoyed to see an Aldi there :(

Yeah , would be very handy indeed.

Aldi have plans to open a store near Beacon Quarter

irlrobins wrote: »

Fantastic!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

irlrobins wrote: »

It was supposed to open in the spring and never happened, is it going ahead?

With a bit of googling I've found out that they have already secured the place and a Daft ad for a flat to rent in this complex mentions September as their opening date. I remain hopeful. Would be fantastic to have a nice big Aldi within cycling distance.

• Advertisement

Probably moving a bit slower than they had hoped. But I defintely remember seeing a planning appliation earlier this summer on the DLR CoCo website looking for permission to erect signage on the front from Aldi.

Advertisement