Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sure what's loyalty, eh... eircom

• 07-06-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My GF's mother (74) recently had to move due to illness. The moving of her phone-line has been a cumbersome enough experience, dealing with 1901 and getting a/ no help, b/ different answer each time. But what is taking the mick, is having to sign a new 12 month contract for moving her broadband after having been a loyal customer for years and years. That is just the method to alienate customers, and from what I read, eircom have a history of doing so. I have rang every department, including leaving a complaint, but I get the same ‘don’t care attitude’ each time, ‘if you move to a new number, you get a new contract and with a new contract a minimum of 12 months applies’, for Broadband, whereas the phone-line is only 6 months....??? –

I am sure that if you are a customer care agents and you say it all day to customers it sounds completely logical, but look at it from the perspective of a lifelong customer who has a relationship with eircom for years, it sounds ridiculous. Top that with being asked for a 12 month contract when you are uncertain of your health…. and you could call it plain rude.’

Why can't they simply move the lines? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

when I moved house BT moved my line for free and it cost me nothing and I did not have to sign a new contract. I just continued my existing contract on but in my new home. Im not sure what would happen if you were out of contract and moving home. Did they have to install a new line to her home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can she bring her number with her?

If so, she#l have the same account no, so should be no probs.

Heads up, there can be a few months delay in the SW covering the line rental when you move. Try keep the same account number if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Geroezemoes

@cookie 1977 - funny thing BT use eircom lines - but their contracts are done by themselves, so it must be the way they have their systems set-up for contracts and billing....

@wmpdd3 - nah she moved from Tipp to Dub, so new number, which is all OK, but you would think that the thing that matters is the name on the contracts and that that name has been on a contract for 10's of years, not where the line is or where the number is, sure it's the same company - baffles me tbh!! its eircom's was or nothing and it's always been that way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭EoghanConway

Sounds like a mobile phone would suit her better. If she's in receipt of the Telephone Allowance, it can be put towards the bill. No rental is due, and there are some good packages available like 3Pay's free any network weekend calls.

@EoghanConway - thanks, phone is sorted, but good tip, could see whether can use a dongle for internet - don't think can use allowance for that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Contracts for phone and Broadband are perfectly normal these days it doesn't matter how long your a customer of a company they can still apply. Frankly she'd be better off with mobile as outlined above as she'd get better value then paying 25e for JUST line rental for a phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

DSP will pay you the telephone allowance in cash if you move away from Eircom and you request it.

@antoinolachtnai - I did not know that - excellent tip, cause it looks like we will be doing exactly that!

Thanks all for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Your expecting a company to have feelings like a person.

Company Loyalty doesn't exist, you should choose based on servive + cost, don't expect anything in the way of 'loyalty'

If you don't like it use another one, at least you have the choice these days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Yes, loyalty.

Having a telephone line with the only provider around. Loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes, loyalty.

Except numerous other company's also supply telephone line rental, so they are not the only provider around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yes, loyalty.

Just like ESB owns the wire coming into your house but you can sign up to Airtricity or Bord Gais.

ESB Network, Eircom Networks all do a wholesale business to allow you access to other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Unless she has plans to change provider pretty soon then what's the problem ? As a "new" customer she would get one of the special offers on the go from Eircom like cheaper phone/NGBB packages for 6 months etc.

Might work out to her benefit ?

Ken

Advertisement