Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mel and the 180km Ring of Kerry

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

mel.b wrote: »
    Things had been going so well for the past couple of weeks. Had started to increase the distance, was getting better at hills (if you discount the disaster that was woodcock hill), having managed corkscrew hill twice and i got my bike fit done which meant i was comfortable on the bike for the first time.

It all came to a crashing end lasy night when i fell off my bike (completely my own fault, no one else involved - misjudged the angle i needed to move from the road into the entrance of a petrol station and went spectacularly over on my side). The end result: a fracture to the radial head of my left elbow :( Not sure how long I will be off the bike for until I have my appt at the fracture clinic on Thurs, but definitely the cycle for Ronald Mcdonald House next weekend in Wicklow is out. Had just signed up for the Tour de cure on the 13th May and the DID cycle4life on the 19th May as well:(

sorry to hear about your crash. what did the doctor say? is it serious? how long will it take to heal? I really hope it's minor and you'll be back on the bike soon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks :) It's not too seriously fortunately although it is still painful. I need to go back in two weeks time for another xray to see how it is healing. The doc said I can get back to cycling whenever i want - basically when it is not painful anymore and I need to concentrate on the physio. When I went to A & E they put it in a sling which is the worst thing you can do for elbows as they need to keep moving otherwise they get stiff.

I'm aiming to be able to ride in the DID cycle4life on the 19th May. I had signed up for the 147km event, but will probably now just do the 67km one instead as while the turbo is well and good for keeping the fitness up, trying to do almost 150km and not having been out on the road much is asking for trouble I think. So hopefully the prep for the RoK hasnt been set back too much (wheres the fingers crossed smiley?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bonesward

Just spent the last hour reading your messages, so sorry to hear about your fall, am doing the ring of kerry this year too for the first time and trying to follow the training plan on the site !! Wish you a speedy recovery and see you there!!:)

So, 5 weeks sitting on your backside is not a good idea:eek::(

I had the bike in the turbo but it was really just a fancy, expensive bike stand:p For the first couple of weeks I could barely get up on the bike and couldnt hold the handle bars so after that I just gave up on it.

I officially started cycling again not the weekend just gone, but the one before it. Well, if you can call spending 5min riding the bike around the neighbourhood offically cycling! Then didn't do anything all week until the weekend just gone. I didn't make it to cycle4life which was dissapointing, however I didn't want to make an almost 70km cycle my first proper one back. And it was a good thing I didn't as I went out on Sat and did 12km and it just about killed me:mad: The first 6km was into a headwind even though it hadnt seemed that windy. My breathing was shot and by the time I felt like spewing I decided it was time to turn around. I felt really demorilsed by this and couldnt see how I was going to be able to manage the RoK in 5 or so weeks.

However I am signed up for the Tour de Conamara and see this as a milestone - if i can manage the 80km then the RoK is still a realistic goal, even if it's not going to be as easy as it would have been if I'd never fallen off (or even kept training over the past five weeks;)). So with that in mind I dragged myself out tonight (and I mean dragged....I didnt want to go at all, thinking about what happenened on Sat). I did a 35km route that i have done plenty of times before, although I did it the 'easy' way around, which I normally don't do. I took it easy, and am delighted to say I managed it and managed it well with an average speed I would have been happy with 5 weeks ago, let alone after not riding for 5 weeks. So really happy and feeling much more confident again now. Plan to do a 50km cycle Thurs or Fri and then the Tour de Conamara on Sun. I'll be the one at the back of the pack taking it easy and having lots of photo* stops - I've gotta get some photos of the Connamara to show everyone back in Oz.

* AKA rest stops

First full week back on the bike.

Sat's ride - disaster as detailed above!

Tues ride - much better 35km, did the route the 'easy' way round and felt much more confident at the end

Thurs ride - just under 50km and only 1 min slower than when I did that route last time back in March.

Sun ride - Tour de Conamara - 83km in 4hrs 28min - see report here...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78896547&postcount=70

My elbow has held up well with the cycling and wasn't sure at all, however I'm just noticing that it is a stiffer than normal and the ROM is a little less than I had been getting. I think that's because of the time it spent bascially in one position today, not being moved as much as it would normally be.

I'm happy that I managed it but I'm still not sure where it leaves me in terms of the Ring of Kerry. After not making it up the hill today I'm even more worried about Moll's gap. I know I can push the bike up if need be, but it's just not the same.

A friend is involved with organising a 100km that is happening next weekend in Sixmilebridge Co.Clare so I'm planning to do and two weeks after that there is another local 120km event, so I will have the chance to increase the distance and see how I cope but neither event have any cat. climbs (not even a cat 5) and I think that is what I need to be trying.

• Advertisement

great write up. I absolutely enjoyed reading it.
    what shorts/tights are you wearing? I'm looking to buy a pair of good quality, could you recommend something? I'm planning to do Wicklow100 on my own time (not registered no no). I'm sure my legs are capable of that; my only worry is my bum :)

j@utis wrote: »
    great write up. I absolutely enjoyed reading it.
    what shorts/tights are you wearing? I'm looking to buy a pair of good quality, could you recommend something? I'm planning to do Wicklow100 on my own time (not registered no no). I'm sure my legs are capable of that; my only worry is my bum :)

I got my shorts from www.aerotechdesigns.com - the 'butt pillow' shorts LOL!

http://aerotechdesigns.com/topshelf-women.htm#century

I still get a sore butt but i think that is more the saddle which i am getting changed this week.

thanks for your reply. what are they sizes like comparing to the street clothes sizes?

damn, they only do shorts, and I want knickers :( I feel shorts are bit too revealing

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Just wondering folks what the cost of this event is? Doesn't seem to appear anywhere on the website??

• Advertisement

subscriber wrote: »
    Just wondering folks what the cost of this event is? Doesn't seem to appear anywhere on the website??

Do you mean the Ring of Kerry cycle? It is a charity cycle so no entry fee but people are expected to fund raise (or make a donation if you don't fund raise). Much better set up than some other charity rides like the getbackchallenge where it is a €50 registration fee and then you have to raise a min of €150. :eek:

There are so many charity cycles now and i don't think its fair to be constantly asking people for sponsorship. The RoK setup is much better where you can fundraise or make a donation.

j@utis wrote: »
    damn, they only do shorts, and I want knickers :( I feel shorts are bit too revealing

Do you mean 3/4 length pants? They do have some but i don't know what they are like... http://store.aerotechdesigns.com/cyknca.html

Sizing is good i think (for the ones i got which is 'their' brand) I wear a 20-22 and got xxl shorts.

I got confused there, knickers seem to be a different brand :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Mel
    Well done on TOC. In the heat and being off the bike for a few weeks dont be so hard on yourself re walking
    Re the RoK, put the Climbs to the back of your mind and show the same determination for the next 5weeks you have shown up to this and all will be well. ;)
    Also the ROK has such big numbers you will never be on your own so you will have saved loads of energy for the climbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I can not stress how much people should simply not worry about the climbs on the Ring of Kerry.

When I first did the Ring I weighed 17.5 stone and had not trained on the hills. Much of my training was in Kildare.

I got over th climbs with no real bother.

The Ring of Kerry is a long day. Building ones training around spending time in the saddle is more important than climbs. If you can work up to a five hour cycle prior to the Ring, then I think it will be much easier tk to the 8 or so hours that many folks take.

Thanks ROK ON. The 80km last weekend took me 4 1/2 hrs (+ stops). I'm doing a 100km this weekend and have a 120km penciled in for a fortnight so time in the saddle shouldnt be a problem. While I need to get out there and be riding some hills I think you're right in that I need to stop thinking about the hills on the RoK as they are building up to something massive in my mind already.

Crap week in one way, but the best in another.

Last Saturday I had planned to do my first 100km however it rained the entire time and I only did 75km before giving up. I was thrown out of the broom wagon with 5km to go though and made to ride the last bit back in:P

Went for a swim on Sun as recovery and got out for a short 12km spin on Monday where the legs felt surprisingly good.

The rest of the week however was a diaster and I didn't get anything done. I did put the bike on the turbo and did maybe 10min before quitting that:rolleyes:

However all week I had been planning to give the Lap of Lough Derg a go and the forecast for today was perfect - sunshine and barely any wind so today was the day.

I still can't believe it but I made it all the way around - all 121.37km of it:D It did take me all day though - 9hrs in total with a moving time of 6hrs 11min, so an average speed of just under 20km/hr.

I did it in an anticlockwise direction which is easier as the hills are all in the first 50km. I had thought the total elevation was around 1000m, but it turns out it is only 658m :(

Other than some photos stops in the first 40km I had my first stop at 40km in Dromineer. Next stop was in Terryglass at 70km. Short stop outside Gorteeny at around 100km and then again at Whitegate at 107km. After a good stop there, I made it the rest of the way back to Tuamgraney.

To eat I took some rolled oats, two small chocolate brownies, a nutrigrain bar, a wagon wheel and some rowntree jellies. At the first stop I had some oats and a brownie. Somewhere between the first and second stop I had to stop at the top of a hill (at least I made it to the top) to get my breath back and I had the nutrigrain bar then. Second stop I had 1/2 the second brownie, a few more oats and also a coke. I had been having a jelly every hour or so and hand a couple of these at the third stop. At the fourth stop I had another coke, a packet of white buttons and a wagon wheel:eek: Yes I was a bit exhausted by this point! It did the trick though and got me around and finished. I'm not really hungry at the moment - don't know if this is normal or not after a long spin. I think I drank around 1.5l of water as well as the two cokes for the sugar and energy hit.

I'm really delighted I did it and made it around without having to get off and push at all. However I also struggled for the last 20km (hence the two stops) and the 20 - 25km before that was basically dead flat. The thought of having to do another 60km and having the hills in the last part of the ROK does have me worried.

My left index finger is also numb/tingly almost 2 hours after getting off the bike - I need to talk to James who I got my fit done with as I think I am compensating for the reduced range of movement in the elbow I broke by holding the handlebar a bit differently. The tip of my pinky on my right hand is also a little tingly (not as bad as the left finger), however this is something I am aware of and I need to work on how and where I hold that hand on the handlebar - I can do it, I just can't sustain it yet as it doesn't feel natural.

The strangest thing though was getting back into the car and driving home after the spin. After having been stretched out all day I felt strangly cramped and like one of those old grannies you see hunched up over the steering wheel!

http://runkeeper.com/user/MelissaBarnes/activity/93973230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Mel
    I really enjoy reading your posts and progress against targets, excellent

I was also Hungary reading the post as you gobbled your way round yesterday

Rok will have lots and lots of people, by default this groupthink will bring you over the finish line

Arghhhh, I hurt my back today and don't know where I stand now:mad::( I hurt it badly years ago running and it flares up every now and then. Last time it happened was Oct last year and i was off the bike for a good month before it was right again Stupid stupid stupid and so frustrating as all i was doing was leaning forwards slightly to look in the top draw of my desk :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Ah jaysus Mel, you mean being hunched over in the drops for all those hours make you more bendy! Sorry to hear about this. Dont worry, Kerry aint going anywhere

• Advertisement

Well, finally able to get back on my bike this weekend :)

My back dragged on a lot longer than expected and it's not sometng i want to go through again so i'll be looking at pilates or yoga or any other suggestions people have. Basically i hurt my back just leaning dorward slightly which then developed into sciatica pain at the start of July. Not sure why it got worse at that time, despite the physio. So 10 days off work, with stong pain killers, then had holidays booked. Was debating about going on my holidays, but in the days leading up to it i wasn't needing the same amount of pain killers and was walking better so i decided to go. 4 days into my holidays i somehow exacerbated my back (think it was sitting wrongly at the beach) Next day woke up in worse pain, 2 lots of pain killers just starting to take it away, thought i could get up and walk to the bathroom 3 steps away. BAD idea. couldn't walk without using the wall for support and unable to sit down. Still not sure how i made it back to my bed and was in the most excruiatating pain ever. The pain i had had previously, including while off sick was no comparision. Ended with a visit from the Italian paramedics who hooked me up to an IV with some very strong (and good!) drugs. Still don't know what was in it!!
    Woke the next morning to find the sciatic pain gone, basic back pain back and also a numb left foot with pins and needles. The back pain took another two weeks to fully go, but i still have altered sensation in my foot and also some loss of power. Somehow i also managed to loose 3kg in 4 - 5weeks which i thought was a pretty good effort considering i did no exercise, ate too much junkfood and slept a lot!

Was hoping to do the SKT 50km at the end if the month just for getting back into things but the physio has said 'no' and to aim for something in late Sept instead, so i'm thinking about the An Post Rebel tour instead. Yesterday i did a short spin into the shops and back and couldn't believe how my legs were shaking when i got off. Today was better with about 19km done at a very good speed for me of arounf 22.5km, although it was basically a dead flat route.

So, just going to try and build things up gradually now and also hope to get back swimming as well which i also couldn't do.

Advertisement