Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelies

• 07-06-2011 9:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads have any of you tried doing wheelies? Over at the TT I saw loads of people doing them and I really want to try! I saw a few youtube videos and you can do one using the clutch and changing down a gear. I'd prefer to just do a power wheelie but my bike is not powerful enough, maybe my next one will be hehe :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yup, and I looked like a twonk every time. Took me months to figure it out without banging the front wheel down properly. In the end, I actually wrecked the head race bearings and had to replace them before I got the hang of it. There should be loads of tutorials on youtube, but the best bit of advice I can give you is to practise on some heap of crap you don't care about dropping. Cause you will.

207823_10150212668498413_547383412_8403096_203687_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

and wear a jacket with spinal protection. my 2cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

The amount of fail videos on youtube would put me off ever trying them. But good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Back to stabilisers :)

wheelieteachwebflyer.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They had one of those wheelie machines down in Kilarney. We swore we'd come back for a go but forgot about it. Gutted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

cantdecide wrote: »
    They had one of those wheelie machines down in Kilarney. We swore we'd come back for a go but forgot about it. Gutted!

I wouldn't bother, its not really like doing a proper wheelie.

There are 2 methods, clutching it up (which is safer and more controlled) and power wheelies which are easier to learn.

OP, what bike do you have?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm on a Ducati Monster but soon to buy a VFR800 - I'm sure I'd have enough power on that to do a power wheelie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm on a Ducati Monster but soon to buy a VFR800 - I'm sure I'd have enough power on that to do a power wheelie!

What model Monster?

VFR is quite a heavy bike to be learning to wheelie on, have you looked into doing a wheelie school?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Monster 620 - going onto a VFR800. Only reason i say that is I have seen videos on youtube of guys doing wheelies easy on the VFR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Surely the Monster is powerfull enough? 1st or 2nd gear just suddenly give it the beans and it should lift. Don't ask me about controlling it though! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

the monster should wheely off the power, I've no bother popping the SV up from traffic lights. Just sit back and drop the clutch hard while winding the throttle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rev it hard in 2nd back the throttle off and then whack it on again while pulling back on the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Be careful not to get a VTEC'd VFR for doing the wheelies on...could be very disastrous! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Buy a crappy off road bike and take it out into the fields and get used to taking the bike to its balance point - its hard to to this alone on the road as you'll almost always back off the juice, 'cause it takes balls.

But if you want to try it off the Monster, first thing to remember is cover the back brake peddle (this will bring you down like a sack of sh*t if you hit the balance point and bottle it).

In either first of second (second gear is a little more gentle) roll forward and bring the revs to almost the point where you change gear, back off the trottle and immediately wind her back on - this loads up the front, then throws the weight back again, and up she'll come.

At first just a few inches off the ground will scare the bejaysus out of you and you'll think the front wheel was pawing the clouds - but in reality its just a little piss horn.

With a little confidence you'll get it higher, and longer.. But with an old bike you won't be afraid of dropping it and you'll learn quicker.

Bringing her through the gears on the back wheel is another lession for another day - learning to do it is hard, but when you've reached this stage wheelies are sweet!.

When you've mastered the wheelie, share your gift with the world!.

Don't drop the clutch from the lights, its horrible on the bike, its horrible to control and looks poxy.

Oh, start putting money away for new chains - your going to start tearing them apart.

Enjoy, be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

havent done them intentionally, my wr426 supermoto doesnt like keeping the front wheel down though...

once i get the balance right ill be flyin around :P

copeyhagen wrote: »
    havent done them intentionally, my wr426 supermoto doesnt like keeping the front wheel down though...

once i get the balance right ill be flyin around :P

The key is balls, and very, very gently on the trottle & cover the back brake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Watch the long wheelies on 4stroke singles, I know of several engine failures in Honda XR series from long wheelies, they are dry sump and the feed is at the back of the cylinder.
    I know they modify the pickups on the stunt bikes to allow for this.
    Make sure your oil level is not too low as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Watch the long wheelies on 4stroke singles, I know of several engine failures in Honda XR series from long wheelies, they are dry sump and the feed is at the back of the cylinder.
    I know they modify the pickups on the stunt bikes to allow for this.
    Make sure your oil level is not too low as well.

Same with the Vtwin in SVs, front cylinder can get starved of oil on long wheelies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,433 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not a wheelie merchant myself (although my first bike, all of 100cc, could wheelie off the throttle... if I shuffled back onto the pillion seat!) but if you do indulge, make sure the bars are perfectly straight when the front touches down. Plenty of videos about of guys getting into horrible wobbles and sometimes getting spat off.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mairt can wheelie well good height and control there is a vid somewhere
    i power wheelie at most junctions on a sunny day but only about 6 inches and not on purpose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

watch out for the vtech yo!

Tigger wrote: »
    mairt can wheelie well good height and control there is a vid somewhere
    i power wheelie at most junctions on a sunny day but only about 6 inches and not on purpose

lol, haven't seen my old user name posted up in awhile.

You'd be surprised at how many people call me 'Mairt' when they meet me!.

Advertisement