Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van rental in Cork

Options
  • 07-06-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭

Looking to hire a van for a day trip to Ikea.
    Something like a Transit (not the high roof one) is what I'm after.

Must be able to collect before 9 and drop off after 7pm that evening.
    Can anyone recommend a decent company?
    I know Thrifty have transits, anyone else?

I remember a few years ago I rented a van from Cork CAB (Ford??) down by
    the Marina, are they still going?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It's been a while since I rented one but the prices were very saucy for a day, I think I paid €175 per day.
    There used to be a chap up Alexandra Hill in St. Lukes who might be worth a shot, The only other place I can think of is great island car rentals.
    Do you know anyone you could borrow one from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

cork45 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I rented one but the prices were very saucy for a day, I think I paid €175 per day.
    There used to be a chap up Alexandra Hill in St. Lukes who might be worth a shot, The only other place I can think of is great island car rentals.
    Do you know anyone you could borrow one from?

afraid I don't! Tis a bummer I know.
    Thrifty are quoting €110 but that is only for the first 125km (10c + VAT per KM after that).
    Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Kearys Fleetplan do it, and they're not crazy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Try Enterprise on the Kinsale Road (in the commercial park opposite Harvey Normans). I've rented off them a few times. I found them very helpful and they will pick you up/drop you off at your house. I don't think they have it running anymore, but they had a very good offer going last year for trips to Ikea.

afraid I don't! Tis a bummer I know.
    Thrifty are quoting €110 but that is only for the first 125km (10c + VAT per KM after that).
    Thanks anyway.
    I'm surprised at this. I rented a van off Thrifty through their partner/subsidary www.irishvanrental.com last March and specifically checked for this type of clause but there was none. Like yourself I was making a return trip to Dublin. Because they rent the vans via the car rental desk at the airport, they are very flexible for pickup/drop off times and were the cheapest at the time I rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Try GPT plant hire in Little Island. Reasonable rates but the vans we rented weren't the best, but still good value! Have you enquired with Ikea about delivering the products?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I rented a transit off Thrifty last year - moving house. It cost around 80 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Check out myhire.ie, there are vans for hire on there

thanks for all the info folks, I'll be busy for the next hour!

I didn't enquire about having the products delivered as the missus wants to actually visit the store...I was there a few weeks ago (like a recon mission!) so I know what lies ahead:eek:

sweet! Just booked one with Enterprise for €60 with mileage of 200m included in that, and 10c per mile after that...but the guy on the phone said it's actually unlimited mileage....either way I should be OK going to Dublin and back. I can also drop it back the following morning which very handy for me.
    Much cheaper compared to Thrifty...glad I shopped around now, thanks folks.

oh, BTW, Keary's don't do van rental anymore.

That's a very good price, what's the catch? is it a small van or something.
    I'll start using them myself for that money if it's a transit sized van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Very good price indeed, does it include insurance cover or are you already covered to drive commercial vehicles on your own policy? I'd double check this with them incase it's a surprise charge when you go to collect it. I was in IKEA for over 6 hours on Monday myself, good luck :)

That's a very good price, what's the catch? is it a small van or something.
    I'll start using them myself for that money if it's a transit sized van.

yeah, I double checked there, rang them and said I was concerned cos it seemed a little cheap, the lad on the phone laughed!
    Anyway, no catches, it does include insurance BUT the only thing is the excess on the insurance is €1200 so for an extra €20 it will bring the excess down to €250.
    I went for this extra charge to bring the excess down so in total the
    cost for the day is €80...still very good considering thrifty were quoting me over €100 with an excess of €1200.
    They were very nice on the phone and sent me the booking etc via email too.

Yep, this quote is for an Opel Vivaro or similar.

That's sweet man, well worth the money, good luck with the trip.

That's sweet man, well worth the money, good luck with the trip.

cheers! I'm sure the few quid I spend will be lost ten fold in a frenzy of impulse spending Ikea style :)

Interesting, wonder how much a transit would have been. What van were Thrifty going to give? Vivaro is quite a bit smaller than a transit.

cormie wrote: »
    Interesting, wonder how much a transit would have been. What van were Thrifty going to give? Vivaro is quite a bit smaller than a transit.

turns out it was a Transit. They seemed to have all Transits, no sign of
    an Vivaro.
    Dropped it back this morning. I was a bit shocked by the thirst of the van, she likes her diesel. And I was doing all motorway driving. I dunno, maybe I was a bit naive but Cork to Ballymun and back cost me €70 on fuel. I wasn't carrying anything too heavy at all, actually the van looked fairly empty even with all the purchases!

Anyway, all that's left to do now is assemble the stuff.

Haha, Cork to Ballymun AND BACK cost €70? That's cheap for a transit, must have been empty alright! :D

I went Dublin to Cork with a full load from IKEA in a Luton transit and it was €75 @ 1.41.9 one way! Filled up before I left and then when I got there too.

cormie wrote: »
    Haha, Cork to Ballymun AND BACK cost €70? That's cheap for a transit, must have been empty alright! :D

I went Dublin to Cork with a full load from IKEA in a Luton transit and it was €75 @ 1.41.9 one way! Filled up before I left and then when I got there too.

oh really, OK, just my lack of experience with the big vans so, I'll shut up and be happy with the €70 cost:D

The van certainly was not full, I probably could have done with the smaller car/van type in hindsight. Oh well, I loved the ride height of the Transit, makes going back to a car feel like Noddy in his little car.

Yep the ride height is great in vans, a lot safer and easier to see what's going on up ahead etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Would anyone know if there is any car or small van rental companies in cork that could be hired. But dropped back to another location in the country. As in the same company but with other locations around the country? Can that be done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Haven't used it myself, but I'm sure the likes of Enterprise and Thrifty would allow you to do this.... for a price of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Would anyone know if there is any car or small van rental companies in cork that could be hired. But dropped back to another location in the country. As in the same company but with other locations around the country? Can that be done?

Yes that can be done as far as im aware.

yep, I'd say the big rental companies provide this service however another handy service Enterprise offer is a free lift to collect the van or a lift back to somewhere else when you drop it back...but I suppose this only applies to the locailty of the renal office...imagine asking for a lift back to Dublin in the Cork office :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Where can i find this enterprise place in cork? I know its on the kinsale road. But where is the industrial estate? Im not to far from pearse road, so is walkable?

I was on their website, and it seems cheap enough to rent a car. Decided to fill in the details as a trial. It doesn't seem to give an option of returning it elsewhere even though there is one in galway. Also their site accepts credit cards. If i called in person to book a car, would they accept laser or cash?

Do they provide sat nav's?

Where can i find this enterprise place in cork? I know its on the kinsale road. But where is the industrial estate? Im not to far from pearse road, so is walkable?

I was on their website, and it seems cheap enough to rent a car. Decided to fill in the details as a trial. It doesn't seem to give an option of returning it elsewhere even though there is one in galway. Also their site accepts credit cards. If i called in person to book a car, would they accept laser or cash?

Do they provide sat nav's?

are you renting a van or a car? If a van they tend to have a separate system which goes through their UK booking centre but yes, if you go in there I'm sure they will sort you out, either handing it themselves or ring the centre for you and you talk to them directly.

They are located in the commercial park directly opposite Harvey Norman and they are situated in the front, you will see their signage from the road, can't miss them.

I think they specifically want a credit card because they swipe it on collection of the vehicle and use it to take a deposit for the rental and if the vehicle is fine they return this deposit via a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

am i allowed to post in old threads ? I don't see the thread being closed. Anyway, I went with the advice here and booked a van for next tuesday for 48 euros with enterprise. So far so good. very friendly on the phone.

wow, 6 years ago, how time flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

am i allowed to post in old threads ? I don't see the thread being closed. Anyway, I went with the advice here and booked a van for next tuesday for 48 euros with enterprise. So far so good. very friendly on the phone.

Rented one from them last month, picked up and dropped off at INEC in Killarney great crowd to deal with.
    Got a Renault I think it was, about the size of a Transit, ply lined in the back, one year old, 48 euro for rentalI think and about 15 euro to transfer my own insurance which they organised and unlimited mileage which I made full use of.
    Great van to drive,comfy and light on juice but be careful though as you won't think you're going fast but you might get a fright when you look at the clock.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

How much was the deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I rented a van off europcar last month, turned up and told no vans available.

Advertisement