Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on which dog to buy

• 07-06-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi i need some advice on which breed of dog to buy. i have a 17 month old boy who adores dogs just like me :). i want something that is goin to be his friend for life. i do not like small dogs and want to get a bigger dog. i would appreciate any advice anyone can give me . i have previously owned a boxer and would love to get one again.
    my partner isnt so keen and would love a dogue de bordeaux. i personally just think there way to big but am open to it .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Staffie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Staffie :D
    +1:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yip Staff gets my vote too. I'd you'd consider a rescue EGAR have some lovely young staffie pups and adults. Don't rule out an adult yet, some will have been in foster with kids, other dogs, cats etc so their temperment will have been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Def Staffie:D Perfect dogs:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Retriever gets my vote. Lovely nature, bred for soft bite, not too hyper. Perfect. We have a ross with a spaniel and she's a little mid sized dote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Another staffie vote here. They're very well known for being good with kids. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ditch the partner and get a boxer :D

Boxer's are awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

boxer or staffie

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ramblingroisin

i can def say i am not gettin a staff . dont like them at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Also if possible don't buy but adopt, so many beautiful puppies needing homes. Check www.dogsindistress.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Can i ask why as well. They are the most loveble dogs ever. There is a reason why they are called the nanny dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Some lovely dogs on the DID site there, including a young lab that'd be perfect for a family.

I met a Staffie last week and my god was she adorable, I would have loved to take her home if she wasn't already someone else's dog ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sorry guys, but if the op doesn't want a staff, then thats entirely up to them. I don't particularly like them either, well, its not that I don't like them, but I would never own one, they're just not my kind of dog. I guess thats why we have so many wonderful breeds, because we all like different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry guys, but if the op doesn't want a staff, then thats entirely up to them. I don't particularly like them either, well, its not that I don't like them, but I would never own one, they're just not my kind of dog. I guess thats why we have so many wonderful breeds, because we all like different things.

Thats fair enough, I guess we are just curious as to the reason.

There are some breeds I would never own but each to their own :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ISDW wrote: »
    :eek:

How very dare you!!

Honestly though, sighthounds would have always been my dog of choice. Love chunky lurcher types. But I ended up with Harley baby who's a staffie cross and then Phoe who's a full staffie and my taste have changed. Wonderful dogs. Really really beautiful temperments.

Although I know had I somehow ended up with a toy poodle, I'd be saying the same about them. :D

Dogs - you can't help but love the ones you're with.

OP I really hope your dislike of staffies are not based on common misconceptions. If they are - then I'm not going to try persuade you otherwise but please do be aware that that is what they are - misconceptions :).

What type of dog do you like. Lab crosses are very common, as are collie crosses. Both are very high energy though. Maybe if you were to describe a day in the life of your potential dog we can suggest breeds that might fit in well?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

spaniels are fab dogs, loyal and eager to please. please don't pay a fortune to some breeder tho when there are so many fab dogs out there needing a home! try dogs trust, dogs in distress, dspca etc. if u want a puppy dogs trust near ashbourne have a puppy section, we got our spaniel mix there over a year ago. they are great, they visit your house to see where she will sleep etc then give you 6 wks pet insurance, a bag of dry food, and have them neutured and chipped when you go to pick them up. poor little babies, i wanted to take them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

What about a Wheaten? Big soft family orientated type of dog that will happily play with the little one as they get older, protective of their family but not aggressive.
    heres a link with some of their traits.

http://www.wheaten-terriers.com/aboutwheatens/temperament.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Get yourself a big cuddly rottweiler ;) my son who is 2 next month absoloutely loves Buddy who is 8months now, my son jumps all over him and plays with him such a great pair together!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I would sit down and look at your routine and see what type of dog would fit into your lifestyle.

Have you got room for a big dog?
    What size garden have you got? Is it secure? Some breeds are escape artists!
    Have you got public parks/beaches/countryside nearby? If you go for a working breed you may need to allow for extra exersize/stimulation - off lead runs and the like. ( a walk on the lead just doesn't cut the mustard for our Irish setter)

I would recommend a setter, but I'm biased towards the breed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You haven't really given very much info OP as regards to how active you are as a family, how long someone is at home every day and so on. Staffies are very adaptable dogs and absolutely great with kids. They wouldn't just have the greatest appeal to me either but as you said you'd like a boxer I think people got the impression that you were a 'chunky' dog type :D

Perhaps you could give a little more insight to what you are/aren't looking for? Some of the other suggestions on here like spaniels/collies/labs are very high energy dogs that will tear your house/garden to shreds if they don't get enough exercise and attention every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

German Shepherd Dog, the most loyal, caring and intelligent doggie companion your little guy could ask for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 snowy two

Labrador dog by far the best dog for kids and very loyal easy to train perfect family pet and i also know where there is beautiful pups for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Dogs trust have forms that will match a suitable dog to your family - maybe a dog 1 year or over that has proven to be child friendly -

Newfoundlands are great children dogs - big and lazy -

or even just pick up some lovable crossbreed mut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

one of the schnauzers:D:D:D:D love em
    staffie too great with the little peeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Would defo recommend a Retreiver.. We rescued ours a couple of mths ago when he was 17 wks old. He is 100% with our 1 yr old & 4 yr old kids - very very trainable & very gentle & lovable ( Please try to Rescue though - NOT buy )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Have you thought of adopting a dog? There are plenty of dogs in shelters that are in need of loving homes. Rescue dogs are some of the most loving and appreaciative dogs you can have.

Try the Dogs Trust in Dublin, Im sure they will have plenty to choose from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

have to say all the dogs suggested are wonderful - but +1 for adopting and not buying, there are so many lovely dogs in trouble and needing homes at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

German Shepard's and Large Spitz breeds are great with kids, many have that nanny instinct(used to watch over kids when adults were out hunting) like Staffs but are not as protective so you dont need to fear them being wary of your friends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement