Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting fishing in Achill

Options
  • 07-06-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been meaning to give fishing a try for a while but have never got around to it.
    I am heading to Achill for a week soon, is there any point in heading out on my own, or would I be better trying to get somebody to show me first?
    I'd be able to rent the stuff from this fella, http://www.achilltourism.com/activities-directory.html#angling
    I understand that I need a license for fresh water fishing and this can be got from the Achill Tourism office.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

There's a pier next to keel strand, 100 yards up from the pubs, a good place for mackeral. Across the island there's a stretch called the bulls mouth which is good for bass. Depends on the tide.

Lovely angling shops in Westport, why not just buy some cheap gear, mackeral feathers etc?

The men around the pier and in the pubs will give you advice. The only advice that you don't ignore is watch the rocks in the wind and rain, absolutely lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Thanks for that. Ya I might just buy a cheap rod and see how I go with it. The angling shops will be able to help me out I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Sweeneys in the sound have some grand deals on rods and real compo's get some feathers 3oz weights and of ya go O and a bucket for all the fish:D. Puteen (spelling) is a great spot though if the swells are up in can be dicey of the rocks is best but i caught 8 makeral of the harbour wall...

Advertisement