Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to England - moving costs....

Options
  • 07-06-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi All,

With current climate have to move to London from Sligo to get a job - I have a small one bedroom apartment with normal furniture (no big items other than matress, not bringing bed!!) + a couple of cats. I have been quoted €900 + ferry cost for the move. Any thoughts if this is reasonable?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Richard571 wrote: »
    Hi All,

With current climate have to move to London from Sligo to get a job - I have a small one bedroom apartment with normal furniture (no big items other than matress, not bringing bed!!) + a couple of cats. I have been quoted €900 + ferry cost for the move. Any thoughts if this is reasonable?

Thanks

V. expensive.

Consider loading everything you have on a pallet (or two) and sending it per standard road haulage. When I moved back from Holland I packed all my belongings (including house plants) into a wardrobe, a full sized fridge and a washing machine and fit them all onto a 1200mm x 1000mm pallet - along with a dismantled iron-framed double bed and mattress.

(How the hell did I manage it?)

Use hardboard/cardboard sheeting to 'wall up' the sides to contain everything (find out the max pallet height permissible with the haulier) and wrap the whole lot in pallet wrap (industrial strength cling film). Tell the haulier he needs to pick the pallet up from the street - you've not got a forklift available.

I'm not sure what fraction of 900 you'll pay but it will be a small enough fraction to make it worth it

Advertisement