Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Science in Computing

Options
  • 07-06-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here do the full time course?
    Can I get some opinions, and pros and cons of the college?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm also interested in this course, would love to hear some insight from current students, preferably without all the good things they had to say at the open day I was at last year. I'd like to hear about the course work, like how much there is and how difficult do some of you find it. I'd also like to hear about the course from someone who done Foundation Maths.

Hopefully I'll get onto this course at some point, but it's hard when PLC courses don't take someone like me who actually likes computing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm also interested in this course, would love to hear some insight from current students, preferably without all the good things they had to say at the open day I was at last year. I'd like to hear about the course work, like how much there is and how difficult do some of you find it. I'd also like to hear about the course from someone who done Foundation Maths.

Hopefully I'll get onto this course at some point, but it's hard when PLC courses don't take someone like me who actually likes computing :(

Stick down the level 6/7 Higher certificate in Computing in NCI, its a 2 year course but after the 2nd year you can join the 3rd year of the computing degree. I did that 2 years ago.

The degree & Cert Computing courses are pretty much identical for the first two years anyway (I did the cert with a mate and had 3 mates doing the degree). If your genuinely interested in computing and plan on going into IT its a grand course. Projects are generally easy enough and from what we did the topics are pretty interesting and enjoyable to do. As with most courses once you study and start projects when you get them it should be a fairly stress free year.

There is a fair bit to learn and the lecturers are slightly hit and miss, I only had one bad lecturer which was grand and my other ones were brilliant, you'll be very lucky if you have Keith Maycock - mans a genius, has sold different programs he designed for millions to Microsoft and was in the middle of building a specialized aptitude test for NASA while I was there.

Hours are good aswel, usually one half day or a late start day and then one day off a week. Think in 1st year I had 11am start on Mondays, full Tuesday, day off Wednesday, full Thursday and then a shortened Friday. Definitely recommend the course to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

scooby2791 wrote: »
    Stick down the level 6/7 Higher certificate in Computing in NCI, its a 2 year course but after the 2nd year you can join the 3rd year of the computing degree. I did that 2 years ago.

The degree & Cert Computing courses are pretty much identical for the first two years anyway (I did the cert with a mate and had 3 mates doing the degree). If your genuinely interested in computing and plan on going into IT its a grand course. Projects are generally easy enough and from what we did the topics are pretty interesting and enjoyable to do. As with most courses once you study and start projects when you get them it should be a fairly stress free year.

There is a fair bit to learn and the lecturers are slightly hit and miss, I only had one bad lecturer which was grand and my other ones were brilliant, you'll be very lucky if you have Keith Maycock - mans a genius, has sold different programs he designed for millions to Microsoft and was in the middle of building a specialized aptitude test for NASA while I was there.

Hours are good aswel, usually one half day or a late start day and then one day off a week. Think in 1st year I had 11am start on Mondays, full Tuesday, day off Wednesday, full Thursday and then a shortened Friday. Definitely recommend the course to anyone.

Did he actually sell software for millions? The man is a genius, every question you ask, he has an answer too. Very funny ss well.

One of his college colleagues is the founder and CEO of intercom, so...

Advertisement