Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Connection declined

Options
  • 07-06-2011 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

I recently applied for a connection to our new house.
    Engineer came out to do a survey, contract duly arrived in the post.

Helpdesk then called to say they would not provide a landline connection - not even "it will cost you this much". I was then told I could have a wireless connection instead - great, I thought - but it would not support broadband. I asked for more information on why they could/would not provide a landline, however no one from the (Sligo?) planning office ever got back to me.

Our house is about 400 yards from our neighbours on either side, who are on different exchanges. One can get broadband, the other can't. I don't see cost being an issue, more likely a lack of available lines. There are two other houses being built in the area who have not yet applied for lines.

Is there any possibility of a more full explanation, which would indicate whether we might get a landline, or BB capable solution in the future? What obligations do ComReg apply to Eircom regarding provision of new lines?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Scartbeg wrote: »
    I recently applied for a connection to our new house.
    Engineer came out to do a survey, contract duly arrived in the post.

Helpdesk then called to say they would not provide a landline connection - not even "it will cost you this much". I was then told I could have a wireless connection instead - great, I thought - but it would not support broadband. I asked for more information on why they could/would not provide a landline, however no one from the (Sligo?) planning office ever got back to me.

Our house is about 400 yards from our neighbours on either side, who are on different exchanges. One can get broadband, the other can't. I don't see cost being an issue, more likely a lack of available lines. There are two other houses being built in the area who have not yet applied for lines.

Is there any possibility of a more full explanation, which would indicate whether we might get a landline, or BB capable solution in the future? What obligations do ComReg apply to Eircom regarding provision of new lines?

Hi Scartbeg,

Can you PM me the telephone number or order number for the order you placed and I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 surfisup

Fastcom in sligo have very good coverage and download speeds, myself and a few friends have had them and all live in the "sticks". Maybe try them????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Mark - PM sent

Hi surfisup - Thanks, but should've said we are in Tipp. A couple of fixed wireless providers operating, but don't think we have line-of-sight to their access points. Not keen on subscribing to any mobile 3G solution, my experience of them is that they are extremely variable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

For the record, eircom are obliged to provide a phone line to anyone in the State unless it costs over €7k to install. Then eircom must offer the customer to pay the balance at least.

The wireless phone service (RurTel I think it's called) is fair game under the PSO rules though, so if they offer that you aren't entitled to a copper phone line I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Hungry Rock

You should google Vodafone, they now are available in a lot of rural areas and their broadbrand is A1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

You should google Vodafone, they now are available in a lot of rural areas and their broadbrand is A1.

Thanks, I am currently with Vodafone at our rented house - however they need a landline in place to be able to provide a service to our new house, and this is dependent on Eircom (who will then tie you into a minimum contract)

It really needs to be deregulated more, like electricity where ESB networks provide the infrastructure, but you can sign up with any provider from Day 1.

Advertisement