Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Landscaping Needed?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I hope you can excuse my ignorance for the moment as to all matters gardening related. My fiancée and myself have just bought our very first house after many years of renting apartments. We're slowly getting the inside of the house to a stage that we're happy with so the next step is to tackle the garden.

When we first moved in (about 3 months ago) I tried to tackle the garden but the soil was like concrete and littered with rocks. My next door neighbour (who seems quite green fingered) mentioned that she had to hire a machine to tear the soil apart. That would seem to be what I'll have to do.

Our eventual aim will be to have a patch of grass for a table and chairs with a small area where we can put a BBQ and use the rest of growing fruit and veg. The side access to the house I'd like to put some 'stones' (I don't know what the proper name for this is) as that's where the bins are stored and the front will be grass and a hedge running the length of the wall.

Both gardens aren't huge, maybe 10m x 10m overall. I'd appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of the potential cost to have someone come in with some sort of machine to dig the soil up. What would I even refer to this process as?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it's a rotovator you're talking about. It's called rotovating your garden. Once it's been rotovated you level it off, then you can sow grass seed or put in roll-out turf, which is more expensive but you get an immediate result.

I don't know how much it would cost - we hired a rotovator and did it ourselves.

Edit: There's a thread about rotovating running in this forum at the moment. You might pick up some tips in there :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

these guys done mine and my sisters garden, they do simple to manage and very reasonable gardens, they do the maintainance in the estate where i live too,, pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks folks for the advice on thread and PMs received. I now have a much better idea of what it is I need to get done with the garden. It's sincerely appreciated.

Advertisement