Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burris Blackdiamond vs Zeiss Conquest

Options
  • 08-06-2011 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Has anyone used or have any first hand knowledge of the Burris Blackdiamond scope? If you have, please advise. I would appreciate your feedback..

The two contenders for my new big bore rifle are

as mentioned, the Burris Blackdiamond
    opplanet-burris-8-32x50mm-black-diamond-rifle-scope.jpg
    and the Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z1000 reticle
    opplanet-zeiss-65-20x50-ao-mc-conquest-matte-black-rifle-scope.jpg

Note, these are pretty much my upper limit is cash so no: Nightforce, Swaro, S&B's, or US Optics... :-(

Constraints

I am looking for a long range scope for my big bore shooter. I would like the reticle to max out around 1000ya. My current reticle is fine for the job of the 30-06 out to 600ya.

However, the scope will also double and be used on the 30-06 since I doubt I will have the time (money!) to shoot the 338 Win Mag as much. Chances are that most hunting done by the scope will be on the 30-06.

I like the Z1000 reticle for the 800-1000ya range, but prefer the mil dots in the lower and mid ranges.

+1 Burris - 30mm. I have only 1" scopes and was looking to go to the 30mm this time.

I believe both have the second plane - reticle image.

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No experience with the Burris, but the Zeiss is excellent. Really top notch kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

I have a zeiss conquest with the mildot,and i have to say its the best glass you can get.
    The only downside its a 1" tube and has only has 45moa of travel,so you need a 20 moa base to get to 1000yards.
    Theres a good review of scopes here,and the Zeiss conquest is highly rated.

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

That Zeiss is a 26mm right
    Zeiss are good, burris are ok.

I don't like Burris reticles
    http://www.4scopes.com/6_5-20x50.htm
    the 6.5-20 is ok, not a divari; but you get what you pay for.

Nowhere in states you can get good deal on second hand scope??

Christ BelowAverageIQ Is selling NF 12-42x56 for €1500 a true 1000+ yard scope!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I have an older model burris blackdiamond 6x24x50 and a 6x20 x50 zeiss conquest and the zeiss optics are a lot better than the burris.
    You should also take a look at the clearidge ultra xp5 4.5-22x50 for 500 dollars.
    I have the 6.5x20 xp model and the optics are better than the burris.
    Check them out at www.clearidgeoptics.com
    They have a lifetime warranty and have got good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I'd way prefer the zeiss, even got myself a second one earlier this year.
    Both with zeiss plex. Don't need hold over reticle if one dials in.
    My favourite zeiss scope, weight vs performance it beats em all.
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I’ve been thinking about rationalising my scopes and guns.
    My thinking is to sell my .22magnum as I’ll be able to load .223 for the same price as the WMR and get a .223. Then I hope to trade my 2 Schmidt 6x42s against a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50.
    I have been comparing the Zeiss against the Burris for the past while and reading reviews. After seeing NorwayViking’s Zeiss in the flesh on Monday I think an ex-demo Zeiss will be the way to go.

It would mean I would have a 6.5-20x50 on all 3 rifles, of varying quality... 1. Zeiss 2. VXIII 3. WTC

The say on the net that Burris are ‘Nearly’ as good as Leupold, I would rank Zeiss as better than Leupold (as above).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Ive got a Zeiss Conquest and i would recommend it, really clear glass and great under the lamp at night.

CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

No experience with the Burris, but the Zeiss is excellent. Really top notch kit.

I agree, the Zeiss name speaks for itself.
    The only downside its a 1" tube and has only has 45moa of travel,so you need a 20 moa base to get to 1000yards.
    Theres a good review of scopes here,and the Zeiss conquest is highly rated.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

True, thanks for the link and reminding me about the moa's.
    Nowhere in states you can get good deal on second hand scope??
    At the prices I can get them, it doesn't pay to go second hand. If I knew the person selling, then maybe. But why forgo the warranty (and sky miles) for the sake of a few %. Used stuff also runs the risk of being defective or grey market goods. I need a nice chunk off to be tempting.
    zeissman wrote: »
    I have an older model burris blackdiamond 6x24x50 and a 6x20 x50 zeiss conquest and the zeiss optics are a lot better than the burris.

Zeissman, how old is the Black Diamond. Zeiss speaks for itself, however, I wanted to get feedback from a Black Diamond owner. That much clearer, huh? No contest?
    ejg wrote: »
    I'd way prefer the zeiss, even got myself a second one earlier this year.

Leaning towards Zeiss... Why didn't they go 30mm? I thought America was 1" and the Euro's 30mm?
    Glensman wrote: »
    The say on the net that Burris are ‘Nearly’ as good as Leupold, I would rank Zeiss as better than Leupold (as above).
    True in general, but they could always have one that beats the competition.
    Ive got a Zeiss Conquest and i would recommend it, really clear glass and great under the lamp at night.
    CS

Thanks. Low light is a concern.

For now, I think I am going to hold off and put a 6.5-20x50mm Burris Fullfield II. I am not sure what I am going to do. Perhaps, it would pay to save a few dollars more and make the $300 jump from the Zeiss to a NightForce. We'll see.

All, thanks again for the advice.

FISMA wrote: »
    I agree, the Zeiss name speaks for itself.
    f

True in general, but they could always have one that beats the competition.

Thanks. Low light is a concern.

For now, I think I am going to hold off and put a 6.5-20x50mm Burris Fullfield II. I am not sure what I am going to do. Perhaps, it would pay to save a few dollars more and make the $300 jump from the Zeiss to a NightForce. We'll see.

All, thanks again for the advice.

This guy has a NF horn :D

Or this guy

I think of Clive when I see this ;)

DING :D

Leaning towards Zeiss... Why didn't they go 30mm? I thought America was 1" and the Euro's 30mm?

The zeiss conquest range was made for the American market,and are assembled in the US.
    Thats probaly the reason for the 1" tube and not 30mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Note, these are pretty much my upper limit is cash so no: Nightforce, Swaro, S&B's, or US Optics... :-(

Tack....its clearly a debate about the black diamond Vs the conquest....

Nightforce are great and all but it aint what he asked!

patsat wrote: »
    Tack....its clearly a debate about the black diamond Vs the conquest....

Nightforce are great and all but it aint what he asked!

I know Fisma Personally, and i know he really wants to buy a NF ;)
    And he will for around the same money secondhand.

Warranty is his concern, but warranty on S/H NF is not an issue as they are as tough as nails!

The zeiss conquest range was made for the American market,and are assembled in the US.
    Thats probaly the reason for the 1" tube and not 30mm.

Is there a 30.0mm Conquest Equivalent? Please don't say the Diavari!
    patsat wrote: »
    Tack....its clearly a debate about the black diamond Vs the conquest.... Nightforce are great and all but it aint what he asked!

I can get the Black Diamond for about $800. Add three hundred more and I have the Zeiss, add three hundred more and I have a NightForce. Add three hundred more...

Tack,
    I would like to have a look at your rig before buying. There's something wrong with spending this kind of dosh without even seeing it. I'll PM you later.

Looks like the Burris is a no go.

Thanks!

I can get the Black Diamond for about $800. Add three hundred more and I have the Zeiss, add three hundred more and I have a NightForce. Add three hundred more...

Tack,
    I would like to have a look at your rig before buying. There's something wrong with spending this kind of dosh without even seeing it. I'll PM you later.

Thanks!

No bothers big man!
    I'll show you two of them to compare ;)

Tack,

Thanks!

Hi FISMA

I dont think you will find an 30mm equivalent in the same price range as the zeiss conquest range.
    Then as you mentioned you have the diavari,victory and even the zeiss hensholdt(milspec) range which is the same class and price as Schmidt and bender scopes.

The only other scope can think of in the same price range is the Sighton SII scopes in 6-24x50 or 8-32x56.
    They reckon Sightron have equal glass to Nightforce or better.:D

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/05/first-look-sightron-siii-8-32x56-scope/

I was just checking out some of the high end Leupolds here.

Check out the customization that you can get...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Stuck in the same boat at the moment :

8.5-25x50 leupy VX3lr - €690

6-24x50 burris blackdiamond - €500

or

8-32x50 burris blackdiamond - €650

is 24/25 enough mag for 1K???

is leupy's 72 moa of windage worth the extra €€??

Advertisement